Windows 10: Windows taking more disk space

Discus and support Windows taking more disk space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by subbaraop, Sep 12, 2015.

1. subbaraop Win User

Windows taking more disk space

I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this.

:)

subbaraop, Sep 12, 2015

2. My partitions take up more space that on disk.

I added up the space on all of the partitions on Disk 1 and I got 931.471 GB when the disk is only 931.39 GB.

Windows taking more disk space [​IMG]

BrennanJarchow, Sep 12, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    My partitions take up more space that on disk.

this is because of rounding and the way the size is calculated on each partition.

a more accurate figure can be obtained by running the following commands in a command prompt

wmic partition get name,bootable,size,type gives the sizes of each partition

wmic diskdrive get size,status,TotalCylinders,TotalSectors,SCSIPort,SCSITargetId,model

gives information on the drives

Martmcd, Sep 12, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. How much disk space was used when you had Win 8.1 (so we have a comparison)
    2. Windows.old is created- your old Windows folder- and will be there for a month unless you specifically remove it. Thus your used space will increase by at least that much, temporarily. That's what gives you the option to revert to 8.1.
    3. Please try using a desktop disk space analyser such as windirstat or spacesniffer and post part of a suitable report or display so what's taking space is visible. Or even a view from a file manager sorted by folder size would help.
    Thanks

dalchina, Sep 12, 2015
  5. subbaraop Win User
    Thanks alot for the reply.

I have installed, Windirstat tool. Culprit seems to be McAfee. Its taking 671.4 GB. I have licensed version - McAfee Live Safe Internet Security. Do I need to contact McAfee support?

subbaraop, Sep 12, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, a very quick glance suggests the bulk is logs. So yes, do some research, contact them, even simply try ccleaner before you do the upgrade. Only other question would be when the logs were generated. Also a common recommendation is to uninstall your AV before upgrading. (I left Bitdefender in place, but in Win 10 had to replace/update it).

dalchina, Sep 12, 2015
  7. subbaraop Win User
    Contacted McAfee support. Unistalling and reinstalling of McAfee solved the issue. Now, C drive has 798GB free.

Thanks for the help.

subbaraop, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows taking more disk space - Similar Threads - taking more disk

2. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  3. Updates taking Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates taking Disk Space: I got a new Dell Inspirion 3020 a few months ago. Every Windows Update consumes more and more disk space on the C drive. The properties box for the C drive does not have the usual DISK CLEANUP button. It has DETAILS instead. I can find DISK CLEANUP. CLEANUP SYSTEM FILES never...
  4. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  5. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  6. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. more disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    more disk space: Can I buy more disk space and will i be allowed to download apps or programs with this additional disk space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-disk-space/fb4a9a17-795e-4755-8ad0-5f45200a0250
  8. Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected: Hi everyone. So I am downloading Gears 4 in the MS Store, Ihad about 260GB in my SSD, so even though thegame is pretty big 133 GB, it was enough to download it. The game is at42.5 GB, but my C drive already says I only have 142 GB left. It shouldn't be that much of a...
  9. Update asking for more disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update asking for more disk space: While updating to latest version through update tool, it asked me to connect external drive since my drive is out of space. This happened to me on last update as well....
  10. need more storage and disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need more storage and disk space: I am having trouble getting windows 10 downloaded becuz of not having enough space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-more-storage-and-disk-space/5eb28f2b-e81a-4093-8a24-2b60aaeac93f