Windows 10: Windows taking too long to boot

Discus and support Windows taking too long to boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This issue is happening for me for a while now, searched several sources, tried multiple solutions and no success so far. My Windows is taking a long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by IvanFernandes94, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Windows taking too long to boot

This issue is happening for me for a while now, searched several sources, tried multiple solutions and no success so far.

My Windows is taking a long time to boot, over 2 minutes. I have 2 computers here at home, the one that has this issue uses an NVMe SSD from Samsung (Evo 960) while my other computer has an old Seagate HDD (over 5 years old). The old one boots in 1/10 of the speed of the newer one.

Details:

Specs:

- ASUS prime z270-a

- i7 7700k

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

- ASUS GTX 1080 ti

- 2x corsair vengance 8gb ddr4 3000mhz ram

- Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (primary drive)

- Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (data drive)

- EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

It takes long specifically in the windows loading screen, after the motherboard splash screen. After the boot moves from that screen everything is fast again. I can log in and start using any program in no time.

The slow boot doesn't always happen. Sometimes the PC boots blazing fast, like the largest portion of time is spent on the Motherboard splashscreen, just like the way it used to do when I bought it. I couldn't find a pattern on why it happened, but I think is related to fast boot, because I never got these really fast boot times while rebooting the machine, only by shutting it down and booting back up (if I'm which is the only time the fast boot can work if I'm not mistaken). So my guess is that sometimes the windows fast boot "works" and the computer boots blazing fast and some other times it doesn't. Nonetheless, even without fast boot, the boot time I'm having makes no sense.

I tried every solution out there. Trying to boot with nonessential services and programs disabled, trying to enable or disable fast boot, tried even to use Windows Performance Analyzer, but while it does show 17s on winlogon phase and 24 in postboot phase, which I believe are significant, it doesn't reflect my actual over 2 minutes boot time I'm getting, and also I couldn't pinpoint an issue besides the long boot phases. CPU and storage usage varies a lot along both boot phases, no relevant peak or valley in any of those graphs as far as I could tell. I even looked at a bunch of events that happened during those boot phases and even tried to uninstall some programs that caused some of those events (that aren't related to windows services) with no success.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is formatting the pc, which I really really want to avoid.

One other thing that may or may not be related. I noticed that during the windows loading screen my mouse and keyboard act as if they were turned off. The keyboard and mouse light up during the mobo splash screen that turns off during the windows loading screen and when the loading screen is about to end both turns on again. I thought it was interesting because is just before the login screen shows up, it's actually the signal I use to know that the computer is done loading. When the computer successfully fast boots, they never turn off.

:)

IvanFernandes94, Dec 24, 2018

2. It take too long to boot in my windows 10

Hi,

The reason that the system takes too long for it to boot might be due to the Startup items running in Windows10. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

Please answer to a few questions to narrow down the issue.

• Which update are you referring to?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you install any third party security application?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps on how to disable the Startup items and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• Open Task Manager by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del.
    • Click the Startup tab and look through the list of programs that are enabled to run during startup. Then to stop them from running, right-click the program and select
      Disable.
    You may also try enabling the Fast Startup.

• Press Windows
      + X key and click Control Panel.

• Click on Power options.

• Click on "Choose what the power buttons do".

• Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". If it prompts to click on yes, then click
      Yes.

• Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)" under shutdown settings.

• Click Save changes
      to configure the settings.

Do let us know whether the computer boots faster after following the above steps.
    If the issue still persists, please reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 24, 2018
  3. shubhzr Win User
    Windows 10 taking too long to boot.

few days back I updated my pc to windows 10 although features are good, but its taking too much time for booting.

it takes around 5 mins to start its so irritating and same takes too long to log off.

anyone with the same problem?

please give suggestions.

thanks

shubhzr, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows taking too long to boot

Time computer takes to boot up

Hi,

It is possible that it takes too long to boot up after the update because the Fast Startup is disabled. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to know what troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to enable Fast Startup. This helps start your computer faster after shutdown:

• Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
    • Click on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
    • Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
    • If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
    • Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.
    • Restart the computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows taking too long to boot

1. Windows taking too long to boot - Similar Threads - taking too long

2. Diskpart takes too long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diskpart takes too long?: So i was about to make a 100% clean install of Windows 10 and cleaned my 512GB drive with diskpart clean all. I read that it should take about an hour per 320GB, but it's been going for more than 3½ hours! According to the named 320GB/hr. about a terabyte should be cleaned by...
  3. Update takes too long.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  4. Chkdsk is taking too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk is taking too long: My harddisk was taking too long to respond and copy stuff. So I formatted the hard drive using cmd prompt and it went successful but then I am running the chkdsk E: /f /r /x E: is the external harddrive. Now its at stage 5 and have about 24 crore cluster to read and it is...
  5. Windows takes too long to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows takes too long to boot: Hey guys, For more than a month, I've been experiencing exceedingly long boot times on my Windows 10 PC. At times it takes up to 5-7 minutes too load, and all I can see during that time is a black blank screen after the Windows logo disappears. Often even after it...
  6. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown: English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes. This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop on, it shows the Windows logo + loading circle as usual, then sits on a black screen for around 5-10 minutes until the locked...
  7. Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot takes too long after enabling Virtualization: I'm setting up my Windows 10 PC for development environment with WSL2. After enabling Virtualization from BIOS, my PC boot now takes long. From 30 secs its now booting for 2 minutes or more. I already analyzed by system using the Windows Performance Toolkit, and it looks...
  8. Update is taking too long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update is taking too long: its been almost 2 hrs . The white dots are atill soinning but the update is bot going further then 15% should i wait more ir try to restart .?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-is-taking-too-long/38928599-34e9-4134-bad5-452df72bcf54
  9. Windows 10 takes too long to boot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes too long to boot.: I know this is a holiday weekend, but I'm set to start a new job working from home. Just as I'm about to go live I'm suddenly noticing that Windows 10 is taking 5 minutes or from turning it on to when I can actually use it. I've already done the basics by looking for malware,...
  10. Windows 10 taking too long to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 taking too long to boot: I know there are several threads by this name, but my problem, as far as I know, is quite peculiar and I haven't seen anything similar to this in any thread. Yesterday I did a clean install (actually I wiped the whole hard drive and converted it to MBR since it was in GPT and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows taking too long to boot

2. windoiws taking too long to boot