Windows 10: Windows taking very long to shutdown/restart, booting unaffected

Discus and support Windows taking very long to shutdown/restart, booting unaffected in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, so the past couple of months or so I've had a problem with restarting and shutting down my laptop, I've tried many possible solutions but none... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Serbanx, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Serbanx Win User

Windows taking very long to shutdown/restart, booting unaffected

Hello, so the past couple of months or so I've had a problem with restarting and shutting down my laptop, I've tried many possible solutions but none seemed to help me, fast startup does help with the shutdown but restarts take just as long(it even says that in power options), i did not have it one before and it was fine, i think the issue started when I installed a program for university, it was one of the 4, maybe someone has a clue as to which might affect this (matlab, labview, quartus or coppeliasim), I am pretty stumped, might be a program is stopping me? any way to see that? as I've said boot time is unaffected hibernate on or off makes no diff, and no I've done no windows updates and have checked (to my knowledge) every powerplan option using quickcpu (for ease of use, and yes i was using it before it's not the cause), open to any suggestion pretty much...

:)

Serbanx, Feb 20, 2021

2. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

Hi the problem of my windows 10 PC is when its restart it takes too long after I update to version 1511. The shutdown process was ok but the restart process takes too much time. What should I do?

Mark AngeloPerdido, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Time computer takes to boot up

Hi,

It is possible that it takes too long to boot up after the update because the Fast Startup is disabled. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to know what troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to enable Fast Startup. This helps start your computer faster after shutdown:

• Open Control Panel and go to Power Options.
    • Click on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side.
    • Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top.
    • If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
    • Ensure that Turn on Fast Startup is checked.
    • Restart the computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows taking very long to shutdown/restart, booting unaffected - Similar Threads - taking very long

2. Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown: Hello. I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. OS: Windows 10 Pro; Version: 20H2; OS build: 19042.685 And I have the following issues: 1. Windows restart time takes approx....
  3. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown: English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes. This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop on, it shows the Windows logo + loading circle as usual, then sits on a black screen for around 5-10 minutes until the locked...
  4. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown: Hi. I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can still use the computer in that time and then eventually I get the shut down screen with the rotating dots and the computer...
  5. Windows Update Taking Very Long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Taking Very Long: Hi, just wanted to know if this is normal. I’m trying to update my laptop but it’s taking a very long time on the ‘Working on updates’ screen. It is going up but extremely slowly (currently on 10%). Just wanted to know if this is normal for some updates. I’ve had no problems...
  6. Taking to long to restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taking to long to restart: Hi my computer has been restarting for 7 hours. What should I do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taking-to-long-to-restart/37a551d8-7349-4272-9b79-b0a0ae9c4cf5
  7. Windows is taking very long to boot to login screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows is taking very long to boot to login screen: I have Win 10 x64 Pro and this is on a new PC and a fresh install using UEFI option to install Windows. Initially the PC would start up lighting fast (at the login screen in no more than 10 seconds, maybe less), but it has suddenly become very slow. It's not the BIOS, as I...
  8. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.: Hi. I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new computer (self-built) the other week. It's been running very nicely, very very quick. Well, it all seemed to be working OK at least, until a few days ago it randomly started to hang when I was shutting the computer down. And it's done...
  9. Very long time to restart!

in Windows 10 Support
    Very long time to restart!: Hi all, I'm having this issue since I upgraded to Win 10: when I click restart, my laptop becomes stuck on the restart screen for ages, even the hard drive doesn't show any signs of activity. Its only after like 15 mins or so the hard drive comes into life and the computer...
  10. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown: I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very long time, during which the disk...