Windows 10: Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode

Discus and support Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a new build to the Insider channel this week that introduced two new features to the operating system's task manager. The first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 23, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode

Microsoft released a new build to the Insider channel this week that introduced two new features to the operating system's task manager. The first introduces better process information for the company's own Microsoft Edge web browser, the second a new mode, called Eco Mode.

Microsoft Edge Process Classifications

Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode task-manager-edge.png

When you open the Task Manager in current versions of Microsoft's Windows operating system, you will see many processes that have the same name if you run a Chromium-based browser. All Google Chrome processes are displayed as Google Chrome, and the same is true for Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, or Opera.

The sheer number of processes, even with just one tab open, has confused users in the past; this is going to change soon, at least for Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser, as process titles better reflect the purpose.

Extensions, tabs, subframes, GPU, utility and browser are all clearly identifiably in the task manager, making it easier to spot misbehaving tabs, extensions or core browser components. Some processes, tabs for example, may lists other information, e.g. Service Workers that are being used by the site in question.

Users may distinguish between single item and multi item processes easily: multi item processes display an arrow icon in front while single item processes don't. The information is now as detailed as that of the built-in task manager of the Edge browser.

The change requires a Canary or Developer version of Microsoft Edge web browser for now, but it will eventually become available to all versions of Edge. Microsoft started the roll out of the feature to a subset of devices.

The type of process determines what is going to happen if a process is terminated by the user; this was the case previously as well, but it was not possible to determine the right process using the Task Manager alone.

• Browser process -- All Microsoft Edge processes of that instance will close.
    • GPU or utility process -- Will close and restart.
    • Renderer process -- Will close, tabs will show an error page.
    • Extensions and plug-in processes -- Edge displays a notification that the extension or plug-in has crashed and displays an option to restart it.
    • Crashpad processes -- Process will close.
    • Dedicated workers/service workers -- Site functionality may break.

Check out the Tech Community article for additional details

Eco Mode

Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode task-manager-eco.png

The second new Task Manager feature in the latest Insider build is called Eco Mode. The mode enables users to throttle processes.

This feature is helpful when you notice an app consuming high resources and would like to limit its consumption so that the system gives priority to other apps which will lead to faster foreground responsiveness and better energy efficiency.

To enable Eco Mode for a process, right-click on a process or a child-process, and select Eco Mode from the menu.

The feature is rolling out to a subset of Insider devices.

Closing Words

Better process identification is a welcome change. Microsoft has not revealed if it plans to create an API for that so that other developers, e.g. browser makers such as Mozilla or Google, may implement this for their programs as well.

Now You: what is your take on the Task Manager changes?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 23, 2021

2. Need to uninstall Eco Mode in order to install Windows 10. Can't find Eco Mode to uninstall it.

I have a Samsung laptop and am operating Windows 7 64bit. I am trying to install Windows 10 but I keep getting a message that Eco Mode must be uninstalled. When I go to
    Control Panel / Programs and Features, then uninstall unwanted software, Eco Mode is not listed. How do I uninstall this item?

PaulaLipski, Apr 23, 2021
  3. Can't turn eco mode off Toshiba Satellite P50-C-128

Hi Duncan,

The Eco mode is a feature available to some laptops. It increases your laptop's battery life cycle by not charging it to full capacity. To disable this feature, please follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Power & sleep.
    • Click Additional power settings.
    • Under Choose or customize a power plan, tick Balanced (recommended).

Once done, observe if you get to fully charge your laptop. In case the eco mode is still enabled, then we suggest that you get in touch with your laptop's manufacturer for further assistance.

Feel free to let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 23, 2021
  4. Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode

I cannot access Windows Update or Backup or Task Manager in my Windows 10 computer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows Insider Builds.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the error message/ error code that you receive with respect to Task Manager?
    • Does this issue persists in Safe mode as well?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Follow the steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as
      Normal startup, click on Apply
      and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to end the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• As Task Manager is not working press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
      and check if Task Manager pops-up or press Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete and check if it helps.
    • Under Process tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 3: I suggest you to Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode

1. Windows Task Manager gets better Edge process classifications and new Eco mode - Similar Threads - Task Manager gets

2. "Task Manager" processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Task Manager" processes: More of a question of curiosity than an issue ATM. I hope I chose the correct place to post.A few details before I proceed, if needed. I have a Dell Optiplex 3130 that came with Windows 7 Pro, I've upgraded to windows 10 Pro. All updates are current as of two or three days...
  3. Task Manager showing system processes & tasks nested under the Edge browser process.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager showing system processes & tasks nested under the Edge browser process.: Hello, I have clean installed windows 11 today and one issue I'm experiencing is that the task manager is showing most, if not all, system processes as being a nested process under the Edge browser process. I have run both the "sfc /scannow" and "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  4. Task Manager showing system processes & tasks nested under the Edge browser process.

Task Manager showing system processes & tasks nested under the Edge browser process.: Hello, I have clean installed windows 11 today and one issue I'm experiencing is that the task manager is showing most, if not all, system processes as being a nested process under the Edge browser process. I have run both the "sfc /scannow" and "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  5. Task Manager Processes

Task Manager Processes: I was cleaning up processed in Task Manager and must have deleted something I shouldn't have. The appearance of the text in emails and web pages don't look as good. They don't look as crisp and the lines aren't all solid. I'm not sure what to do?...
  6. task manager processes

task manager processes: I was going through my task manager and suddenly I saw a process which had Microsoft icon four coloured boxes .it suddenly disappeared. I want to know that which process was that because I have never seen it before....
  7. Improve performance using Eco Mode in Windows 10 Task Manager

in Windows 10 News
    Improve performance using Eco Mode in Windows 10 Task Manager: [ATTACH]Microsoft rolled out a new Task Manager feature named Eco Mode. The main purpose of this new addition is to help you cut back on the CPU processing power on apps that greatly eat it up, so that your computer could run smoothly and efficiently. What happens on your...
  8. Eco Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Eco Mode: Reading the latest Computeractive magazine there's a feature on Eco Mode. It says performance can be enhanced by putting certain resource hogging processes in this mode which is new to Windows I believe? In task manager>processes it says to right click on a process (eg I am...
  9. Missing New Eco Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing New Eco Mode: Hello, I just installed the latest 21364 build specifically for the new Task Manager features for Edge and new Eco Mode but I seem to be missing both features after a clean installAnyone could help with why am I missing them?...
  10. Win10 Task Mgr/Edge AND Eco Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Task Mgr/Edge AND Eco Mode: Recently there are heaps of great things aiding performance w/ Win10 & Edge BUT... Eco Mode for Edge & more in Task Manager Absolutely bloody brilliant Task Manager supports Microsoft Edge process classification AND gives it Eco Mode, too.Cheers,Drew...