Windows 10: Windows task, power, start menu will not open

Discus and support Windows task, power, start menu will not open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I cannot open any window app through the key, start menu or cortana. Will not let me power off or restart with out a manually doing it. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CarrieUzzell, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Windows task, power, start menu will not open

I cannot open any window app through the key, start menu or cortana. Will not let me power off or restart with out a manually doing it.

I have restarted, restored ect to try and get it to work. Please help.

:)

CarrieUzzell, Oct 8, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Michael Gall, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Windows task, power, start menu will not open

Start Menu > Power > "Submenu Blank"

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

With regard to the missing options under power button, follow the below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

* Click Start Button, type
    Power Options
    into the search space and select the Power Options from the list

* In the left pane of Power Options, click on the
    Choose what the power buttons do

* Select Change settings that are currently unavailable,
    under Shutdown settings select the Sleep, Hibernate, Lock and Turn on fast startup
    option

* Click Save Changes.

If it doesn't fix the issue, then there might be corruption with system files.
    Suggest you try the below mentioned steps to fix any issue with system files, when you access the desktop screen:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.

• Click File > Run New Task

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

• Type CMD

• Type or copy/paste the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    Reboot the system and check if the issue still occurs.

Let us know if problem still persist, we're glad to assist you. Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows task, power, start menu will not open

1. Windows task, power, start menu will not open - Similar Threads - task power start

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. On Start-up the Multi-Tasking window opens without opening Settings Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    On Start-up the Multi-Tasking window opens without opening Settings Menu: It's not critical just annoying.After the PC has completed its start-up routine the Systems - Multi-Tasking options menu appears on the monitor without entering, or starting Settings.Firstly, yes, I have done the latest Windows 10 update, 6th September 2021, KB4023057.Any...
  5. Task bar and Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task bar and Start Menu not opening: Hi I have a Windows 10. When I try to type anything in the Search box the screen freezes Until I open Task Manager, and none of the right bottom keys on the taskbar works. When I try to open the start menu- It opens and closes and leaves a black screen where it opened after...
  6. Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar and start menu are unresponsive on desktop and task manager will not open: Title says it all. Taskbar won’t even load app icons. I only have recycle bin on my front page so I don’t know if apps like chrome would even open, but when I open the bin and try to navigate to my files it’s goes unresponsive. Right clicking does not do anything on the...
  7. Cannot open Power User Task Menu help please!

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open Power User Task Menu help please!: Hi everyone, I recently bought a new machine running windows 10 and I cannot access the Power User Task Menu. When I right click on the start menu the cursor automatically moves a couple pixels and nothing is displayed. Windows key + X does nothing either. What do I do??...
  8. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  9. Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu does not open after Power Shell Command: So my mail app was not opening links. So I looked up how to reinstall the mail app. Got to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...stall-window... I uninstalled the apps, then ran the powershell command: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...