Windows 10: Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login

Discus and support Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, This is a bit of a strange one and I'm at a loss: I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 build 19042.662 with two local admin non-MS accounts,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by IsmaelZm, Dec 6, 2020.

1. IsmaelZm Win User

Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login

Hi,

This is a bit of a strange one and I'm at a loss:

I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 build 19042.662 with two local admin non-MS accounts, one for personal usage and one for work where I use OneDrive, Office 365 etc. This is not linked to any domains.

Scenario:

1 Login to personal user account after turning PC on or restarting - login is instant and no issues are encountered

2 Switch to work account - logging in takes a minute or so and when it takes me to the desktop, the taskbar and windows explorer are frozen for about 10 minutes. I can move the mouse and click but I can't open anything except task manager. Using task manager to restart Windows Explorer accomplishes nothing and just seems to make the process drag on for longer.

This happens in any combination, such as logging into work account first after a restart fast then switching to personal account.

I'm not sure if the issue started happening because of 20H2 because I always had a single user on this system prior to 20H2. Today I reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on this PC hoping that the problem would go away but I'm seeing the exact same behaviour.

Yes, I can live with it, but it would be nice to fix or figure this out.

Thank you

:)

IsmaelZm, Dec 6, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 6, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar Unresponsive.

Dear Amma,

Sorry for the trouble, here are few steps that I would suggest:

• Press the Windows + X
    • Open the Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Now type the command as " Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Push Enter
    • Restart the system.
    • Now see if the issue persists
    • If it persists the only option is to create a new user admin account.

Do let me know if it helped and please mark the answer as helpful if it helped.

Ankur Srivastava, Dec 6, 2020
  4. Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login

Windows 10 Taskbar Unresponsive.

Dear Amma,

Sorry for the trouble, here are few steps that I would suggest:

• Press the Windows + X
    • Open the Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Now type the command as " Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Push Enter
    • Restart the system.
    • Now see if the issue persists
    • If it persists the only option is to create a new user admin account.

Do let me know if it helped and please mark the answer as helpful if it helped.

I appreciate the assistance, but the Windows key doesn't respond to my pressing.

Emma Miranda, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login

1. Windows taskbar/explorer unresponsive on first login - Similar Threads - taskbar explorer unresponsive

2. Windows Explorer / Startup Menu Search / Taskbar Unresponsive

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer / Startup Menu Search / Taskbar Unresponsive: Ever since the latest update KB5003173 I can't seem to make half of my Windows' features work remotely properly.Typing in the startup screen to search my computer does literally nothing.Even with the search button on my toolbar, it just displays a blank window for a second...
  3. Taskbar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Unresponsive: Hello. I have been facing issues with my taskbar as described in a previous query here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-task-bar-fully-unresponsive/018d41a7-ea1a-4689-b6fd-7c912fc26053My issue, however, is that after having followed said...
  4. Windows Explorer / Startup Menu Search / Taskbar Unresponsive

Windows Explorer / Startup Menu Search / Taskbar Unresponsive: Ever since the latest update I can't seem to make half of my Windows' features work remotely properly.Typing in the startup screen to search my computer does literally nothing. Even with the search button on my toolbar, it just displays a blank window for a second before...
  5. taskbar is unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar is unresponsive: Same thing is happening to me right now. I went out yesterday and bought a new case and aio to replace what I was currently using from a old prebuilt. The build was seemless until I turned it on, I got into windows just fine. After I enter my pin it took at least 3 minutes to...
  6. Taskbar is Unresponsive and restarting Windows Explorer does nothing

Taskbar is Unresponsive and restarting Windows Explorer does nothing: Hi So basically i updated to the newest version of widows 10 1909 And since then my taskbar has been completely unresponsive. I have tried every option i could think of, - Restart Windows Explorer failed - Repair using Powershell as an Admin failed - Disable iGPU...
  7. Windows Explorer unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer unresponsive: My windows explorer is frozen and I can't fix it. Everything seems to work except the explorer.exe. I tried restarting, sfc /scannow and the first 2 recommendations in this page but nothing worked...
  8. Windows Explorer Unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer Unresponsive: I am finding that, after an unknown period of time, Windows Explorer becomes completely unresponsive. I cannot open the Start menu or the task manager. The mouse pointer will move around the desktop area; but, the pointer is only what I believe is the cursor file for waiting....
  9. Unresponsive Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Unresponsive Taskbar: Edition is Windows 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19 If further information is needed about my computers' specs, they are listed and up to date. I have read various threads in separate forums on this site and was wondering if an update fix has been released in...
  10. Taskbar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Unresponsive: After the past few times of logging into my pc, I have had some problems with the taskbar. It seems to be frozen, or "locked." The taskbar will not auto-hide, I cannot right-click on any programs, pressing the start button does nothing (this includes pressing the windows key...