Windows 10: Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

Discus and support Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; HelloWindows user profile is getting corrupted every time system is restarted.On boot up a new temporary profile is getting created.How to find the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sampath Kumar Ramayanapu, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

HelloWindows user profile is getting corrupted every time system is restarted.On boot up a new temporary profile is getting created.How to find the root cause of user profile corruption? Any system logs can help ?Thanks & regardsSampath R

:)

Sampath Kumar Ramayanapu, Apr 1, 2023
  2. YuvrajX Win User

Windows Temporary User Profile (TEMP) Issue

A User Profile is a collection of settings and data of a user account. It is stored in the user's C:\Users\<user name> profile folder.

Temporary User Profile:

A temporary profile is created each time that an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary profiles are deleted at the end of each session, and changes made by the user to desktop settings and files are lost when the user logs off.

If a user signs in to their account and gets 'We can't sign into your account' message and 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile' notification message below, then that user has been signed in to a temporary profile (eg: C:\Users\TEMP) instead of the profile from their C:\Users\<user-name> profile folder. Any changes that the user makes to the temporary profile are lost after signing-out.

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue f3855a91-a843-41ad-8a7c-617e7e420133?upload=true.png

error messages:-

We can't sign into your account:

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue 84b68147-d25e-4a99-9ea6-3aa7d3b0a51b?upload=true.png

You've been signed in with a temporary profile:

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue 53d646d9-89c7-442d-b443-fc678e5de6a5?upload=true.png

Troubleshooting:-

Important: To be extra safe, it’s recommended to back-up your "C:\Users\<user-name>" profile folder.

Step 1: Restart your computer multiple times

1) Restart your device in safe mode and sign in with your original profile. Check to see if your settings and files are restored.

2) Restart your device in normal mode and sign in again with your original profile. Check to see if your settings and files are restored. (You might need to restart your device more than once.)

3) If multiple restarts don't help, try temporarily disabling your antivirus software & disable Windows Defender services (Change ‘Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection’ and ‘Microsoft Defender Antivirus’ services’ Startup type to Disabled and Restart your PC) which might scan your device during sign-in.

Step 2: REGISTRY FIX

1. While signed in to the account with the temporary profile, open a command prompt.
    2. Enter "whoami /user" command to get SID (Security Identifier, a SID is a string value that is used to uniquely identify users.)

SID eg.: S-1-5-21-2171760768-3957144033-4256508931-1001

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue 3b5befd2-40df-465a-b81b-5bf8a8182844?upload=true.png

3. Open ‘Registry Editor’ (type ‘regedit’ in Run)

4. Navigate to the ProfileList key:

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue d003645c-947f-465b-8592-7e3da2afa078?upload=true.png

5. In the left pane under the expanded ProfileList key, look to see if the SID key from step 2 above is listed with .bak (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001.bak) and/or without .bak (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001) at the end. (see screenshot above)
      1. If the SID key is without .bak:
        1. In the right panel of the SID key (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001), double click on the ProfileImagePath value name to modify it.
        2. Enter the correct path (eg: C:\Users\<user-name>) of the user's profile folder, and click OK.
        3. Verify that the State DWORD is set with a value data of 0 (number zero).
      2. If the SID key is with .bak:
        1. Right click on the SID key (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001.bak), click on Rename, and rename the SID key to only remove ".bak" (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001) at the end of the key's name.
        2. In the right panel of the SID key (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001) now without .bak at the end, double click on the ProfileImagePath value name to modify it.
        3. Enter the correct path (eg: C:\Users\<user-name>) of the user's profile folder, and click OK.
        4. Verify that the State DWORD is set with a value data of 0 (number zero).
      3. If the SID key is without and with .bak:
        1. Right click on the SID key without .bak (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001), and click on Delete.
        2. Right click on the SID key with .bak (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001.bak), click on Rename, and rename the SID key to only remove ".bak" (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001) at the end of the key's name.
        3. In the right panel of the SID key (eg: S-1-5-21-....-1001) now without .bak at the end, double click on the ProfileImagePath value name to modify it.
        4. Enter the correct path (eg: C:\Users\<user-name>) of the user's profile folder, and click OK.
        5. Verify that the State DWORD is set with a value data of 0 (number zero).
    6. Exit Registry Editor & Restart the computer, and sign in to the account that got the temporary profile error to see if it’s fixed.
    7. If the account's profile is still not fixed, then you can create a new user profile for the account, and copy over any files you want from the old profile folder to the new one afterwards.
    Source: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48012-fix-youve-been-signed-temporary-profile-windows-10-a.html (Awesome article)

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Microsoft Support Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-account-18d55f00-a6e7-9106-29ee-54fa223c0ca8

YuvrajX, Apr 1, 2023
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Lost files in temporary profile

If a Temp user isn't where I suggested then the temp profile isn't present. There could be temporary files in other temp folders though. c:\windows\temp (for example) but if you have used disk cleanup then I would have expected those to have been removed
    already. Have you emptied your recycle bin.

When running disk cleanup then after the first pass scan select system files and look down the list when the scan is complete.

neilpzz, Apr 1, 2023
  4. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

User Lost. Temporary profile Win10

Hi Antonio,

I realize that the Temporary profile is gone from Windows 10 pc. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Did you create that Temporary user profile?

• Was that Temporary profile a standard account or the Microsoft account?

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Apr 1, 2023
Thema:

Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

1. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue - Similar Threads - Temporary User Profile

2. Local user profile issue - temporary profile is unable to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user profile issue - temporary profile is unable to load: Hello,We are running Windows 11 22H2 on our Azure-joined laptops in our environment. We are having an issue where user profiles are not loading correctly and going into a backup state. It then tries to load a temporary user profile but that also fails to load. The user just...
  3. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue: HelloWindows user profile is getting corrupted every time system is restarted.On boot up a new temporary profile is getting created.How to find the root cause of user profile corruption? Any system logs can help ?Thanks & regardsSampath R...
  4. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue: HelloWindows user profile is getting corrupted every time system is restarted.On boot up a new temporary profile is getting created.How to find the root cause of user profile corruption? Any system logs can help ?Thanks & regardsSampath R...
  5. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue: A User Profile is a collection of settings and data of a user account. It is stored in the user's C:\Users\<user name> profile folder.Temporary User Profile: A temporary profile is created each time that an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary...
  6. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue: A User Profile is a collection of settings and data of a user account. It is stored in the user's C:\Users\<user name> profile folder.Temporary User Profile: A temporary profile is created each time that an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary...
  7. Windows Temporary User Profile TEMP Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Temporary profile issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporary profile issue: Hello! So I was facing issue with the temporary profile issue of Windows 11 and I am literally sick and tired of all the measures I did to remove the temp profile. So I am going to reset my laptop and reinstall Windows. Please can anyone ensure me that doing this will solve...
  9. Temporary user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary user profile: How do I change a temporary profile to a permanent one so that I don't lose settings and data every time I close down? I tried A. User's instruction but I got stuck at the net user administrator /active:yes command. This started when I tried to block certain websites by...
  10. User profile temporary sign-in issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile temporary sign-in issue: WHY has this update been released when the Build 20226 issue was already known? I cannot log into my normal account and do not have any programming knowledge, so I cannot apply the 'workarounds' I've found on the internet. I am FURIOUS with the amount of time I have wasted...