Windows 10: Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

Discus and support Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I uninstalled and reinstalled base Ubuntu, and Debian from my Windows Terminal.When they were reinstalled, their names and respective icons simply do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Aline Mansur, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

I uninstalled and reinstalled base Ubuntu, and Debian from my Windows Terminal.When they were reinstalled, their names and respective icons simply do not appear in the settings menu.The programs are installed on the machine, but I don't know how to put them back in the menu through Settings, Settings.json.Can you help me figure this out?Thanks so much!

:)

Aline Mansur, Apr 1, 2023
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu. 233722d1557862791t-windows-doesn-t-start-authomatic-repair-doesn-t-work-hdd-test-1-.png

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Apr 1, 2023
  3. Joey Jen Win User
    Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

Hi everyone,

I bought an Asus laptop (A15) in 2022 June, and I am currently trying to run the windows subsystem for Linux on this laptop. (Current OS is windows 11)

However, after I followed the instructions here How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11 - Microsoft Tech Community,

although I have installed the distribution Ubuntu (run "wsl --install -d Ubuntu" in cmd will show "Ubuntu is already installed."), if I run "wsl.exe" or "wsl" in cmd, it still shows "Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.".

I can see the Ubuntu icon in the start menu; it can be clicked, just no response at all, even after restarting the computer.

I also tried installing the other distribution Debian; the problem remains.

I looked up the troubleshooting here Troubleshooting Windows Subsystem for Linux | Microsoft Learn, yet my issue remains.

They mentioned "The WSL executable is only installed to the native system directory." on the troubleshooting page; however, I did not see any solutions for that (and I am not sure if that IS the problem I am facing now).

Is there any suggestion?

Joey Jen, Apr 1, 2023
  4. Blearn Win User

Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

Windows Subsystem for Linux - Installed Distributions Missing

Device type: Laptop

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad W530

Verison: 1803 Build 17134.48

After the 1803 Spring Creators Update was applied on my machine, my Ubuntu 16.04 app no longer worked. It produced the error message:

"Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

Distributions can be installed by visiting the Microsoft Store:

Grün vor neid?"

I learned this was because my Ubuntu 16.04 install was no longer the default distribution. Using the wslconfig program, I was able to list all distributions and see my Ubuntu install. I set it back to the default and running 'wsl' would work as expected.

However starting today, running the 'wsl' command produces the same error as before. Now there are *no* distributions when I list my installed distributions using 'wslconfig /l'. It seems like my Ubuntu install gone completely now.

1) Are there any other ways of checking if the files within my Ubuntu install are still on my device?

2) Why would a distribution silently be removed, is it an error or the result of some policy(eg. since Ubuntu 18.04 was released)?

Blearn, Apr 1, 2023
Thema:

Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

1. Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu. - Similar Threads - Terminal doesn't show

2. Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Terminal doesn't show linux distributions in settings menu.: I uninstalled and reinstalled base Ubuntu, and Debian from my Windows Terminal.When they were reinstalled, their names and respective icons simply do not appear in the settings menu.The programs are installed on the machine, but I don't know how to put them back in the menu...
  3. Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives: Hello people,I have a computer with two SSDs. On the first SSDs I have Windows 11 installed, with secure boot enabled. The second SSD is currently empty, but I would like to install Gentoo Linux on that drive. Gentoo is not signed and thus will not be able to boot easily...
  4. Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.: Hi everyone,I bought an Asus laptop A15 in 2022 June, and I am currently trying to run the windows subsystem for Linux on this laptop. Current OS is windows 11However, after I followed the instructions here How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11 - Microsoft...
  5. Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.: Hi everyone,I bought an Asus laptop A15 in 2022 June, and I am currently trying to run the windows subsystem for Linux on this laptop. Current OS is windows 11However, after I followed the instructions here How to install the Linux Windows Subsystem in Windows 11 - Microsoft...
  6. Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add CMD and Linux Terminal to context menu (right-click menu).: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/elo3l76n3ss81.png?width=590&format=png&auto=webp&s=bc58a0f4d14ae482e61488cf93c9129ecadee2e7 I made some regedit keys to add cmd and linux terminal (WSL) to the context menu. Tutorial: https://youtu.be/_DtOuTVTOu0 Download link:...
  7. How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When you have Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) enabled, you can install Linux distribution apps […] This article How to set Linux Distribution version to WSL1 or WSL2 in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 supports the installation of a number of distros that come under Windows Subsystem for Linux. But even when these distros are installed users have reported encountering Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions error. Some of the...
  9. Best Linux distributions which look like Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Best Linux distributions which look like Windows: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Once you have understood the pros and cons while shifting from Windows to Linux and decided in favor of the latter, the tougher part would be adjusting with the new environment. Thankfully, there are a few distributions of Linux which [...] This post Best...
  10. Settings menu doesn't work

Settings menu doesn't work: Windows settings menu closes immediatly after opening. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? 11847