Windows 10: Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by...

Discus and support Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/JellinWellen [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JellinWellen, May 15, 2020.

1. Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by...

/u/JellinWellen, May 15, 2020

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, May 15, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' Error.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, ‘'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item’ when trying to access one particular file. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Are you trying to access the shortcut of the file?
    • Which anti-virus are you using on the computer?

I would suggest you try running the application as an administrator and see if that helps. To do this, right click on the file and select
    Run as administrator.

You may also want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or
    file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

Note: The above mentioned article is for Windows 7, however, holds good for Windows 10.

Alternatively, you can also try enabling hidden admin account and check if you are able to access the file in hidden admin account.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

net user administrator /active:yes
    4. After enabling the hidden admin, try accessing the file.

Note: Make sure to disable hidden admin by using the command
    net user administrator /active:no after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 15, 2020
  4. Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by...

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by...

1. Windows terminal, error when trying to run as administrator. "File cannot be accessed by... - Similar Threads - terminal error trying

2. "the file cannot be accessed by the system" when running wsl --install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "the file cannot be accessed by the system" when running wsl --install: Hey, I think the title describes my error I'm trying to install wsl, although I have tried also installing it from the windows store as well, not just from powershell.I've made sure that "windows subsystem for linux" is checked in the "turn windows features on and off again"...
  3. Cannot run anything as administrator no access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run anything as administrator no access: Hello, here is what I am trying to do. I want to give a family member one of my three desktop PCs. I am the only one that has an account on it both a MS account and a local account. I has basically nothing but win 10 on it. Very little used. I cannot access or run anything in...
  4. Cannot run anything as administrator no access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot run anything as administrator no access: Hello, here is what I am trying to do. I want to give a family member one of my three desktop PCs. I am the only one that has an account on it both a MS account and a local account. I has basically nothing but win 10 on it. Very little used. I cannot access or run anything in...
  5. Cannot run anything as administrator no access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cannot run anything as administrator no access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Error when trying to access Android files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to access Android files: When connecting my android phone, I always get "The specified path does not exist" error when trying to access the files.What's even weirder is, that I'm able to access the files via the left panel. And they do open. But only with the left panel - When I click on a folder in...
  8. Error when trying to access Android files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when trying to access Android files: When connecting my android phone, I always get "The specified path does not exist" error when trying to access the files.What's even weirder is, that I'm able to access the files via the left panel. And they do open. But only with the left panel - When I click on a folder in...
  9. Error: "Please login with administrator privileges and try again" when trying to run...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: "Please login with administrator privileges and try again" when trying to run...: I am trying to run my Spider-Man 3 game on Windows 10. However, I get the error message listed above whenever I try to open the program despite the fact that I am on the administrator account on my device. I have tried running the program as an administrator through the...
  10. Windows 10 Administrator, Run as Administrator access lost; cannot get back

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Administrator, Run as Administrator access lost; cannot get back: I have seen several different posts on this but can't seem to find the right answer for me. I disabled my administrator access by Select Cmd Prompt: Run as administrator; system 32>net user administrator /active: no. Now, I cannot figure out how to get it back. When I go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run windows terminal as administrator error