Windows 10: Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine

Discus and support Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 is now available on the Microsoft Store. The update adds support for theming and personalizing the command line tool's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 15, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 is now available on the Microsoft Store. The update adds support for theming and personalizing the command line tool's interface.

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine Windows-Terminal-Preview-1.16-brings-theming-support-and-a-new-text-rendering-engine.jpg
    Windows Terminal Preview 1.16

Themes

There are 2 default themes in Windows Terminal, a Light theme and a Dark one. Users can create their own themes by editing the Settings JSON file. You can find a theme sample on the announcement page, which will give you an idea of how the attributes can be set. Custom themes that you create will show up in the Themes drop-down menu on the app's Settings > Appearance page.

Image courtesy: Microsoft

The objects in Themes consist of various elements Tabs, Tab row, Window, text etc, you can modify the colors of each of these to create your own theme, for example to match the colors of your tabs and terminals, or to set a background image for the command line.

The Windows Terminal app will use the dark theme as the default style, even if you have set the operating system's theme to change automatically. You can change the theme from the app's Settings, if you prefer to use the light version.

New Default Colors

The Color Schemes page in Windows Terminal has been redesigned. You no longer have to use the drop-down menu to switch between the profiles, they are displayed in a single page. The large color selection boxes have been replaced by smaller boxes, which also shows you a preview of the profile's text color. The add new profile button has been shifted to the bottom of the window.

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine Windows-Terminal-1.16-colors.jpg

Speaking of which, you may notice a new option on this page, it allows you set the selected profile as the default option. To make changes to a custom profile, highlight it and click the edit button.

New text rendering engine

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings a new text renderer called the Atlas engine. The Redmond company had introduced this engine in version 1.13 of the program, as an experimental feature.

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine Windows-Terminal-Atlas-text-rendering-engine.jpg

The new renderer is now set as the default one for all profiles, and offers better performance. It supports more pixel shaders such as bold text, underline, overline, hyperlink lines and retro effect. You may disable the new rendering engine from the Settings > Rendering page.

New Tab Position

Users can define the new tab position in the Windows Terminal app. You may set it new tabs to appear after the last tab or after the current tab. The option to configure this behavior can be found under the Settings > Appearance page.

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine Windows-Terminal-new-tab-position.jpg

If you want to try the new theming options and features, you can download Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 from the Microsoft Store or the project's GitHub page, it's also available via Winget. You can use the Preview version alongside the current build. Optionally, you can set it as the default option from the Settings > Startup > Default Terminal Application.

Last year, Microsoft announced that Windows Terminal will be the default Console Host in Windows 11 in the future, and that users will still be able to access the Command Prompt and PowerShell manually. It enforced the change last month when Windows 11 Build 25188 was released.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 15, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Spartan's rendering engine slips into Windows 10 for Phones

Read more: Spartan's rendering engine slips into Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

Brink, Sep 15, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    Spartan's rendering engine slips into Windows 10 for Phones

Read more: Spartan's rendering engine slips into Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones

Brink, Sep 15, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine

Bringing asm.js to the Chakra JavaScript engine in Windows 10

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2...indows-10.aspx

Brink, Sep 15, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows Terminal Preview 1.16 brings theming support and a new text rendering engine - Similar Threads - Terminal Preview brings

2. New MS Store not Rendering On screen text/elements

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    New MS Store not Rendering On screen text/elements: I got the new MS store today and pages aren't being displayed correctly. See screenshot below. How do I fix this? Prior to the update it worked fine. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and I tried running WSreset.exe already....
  3. New MS Store not Rendering On screen text/elements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New MS Store not Rendering On screen text/elements: I got the new MS store today and pages aren't being displayed correctly. See screenshot below. How do I fix this? Prior to the update it worked fine. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and I tried running WSreset.exe already....
  4. New MS Store not Rendering On screen text/elements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New Windows Terminal Preview v1.7.572.0 for Windows 10 - March 1

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Terminal Preview v1.7.572.0 for Windows 10 - March 1: Features Terminal now supports single-instancing and remote control! You can configure whether new instances of Terminal launch in a new window (#9118) For now, the default is to launch in a new window. Available options include launching in "a new window", "a window on...
  6. Text rendering badly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text rendering badly: My text is rendering badly on my 1080p display, black text looks to be a mix of black, red, and blue, and pixelated which is highly unpleasant to look at. I've gone through multiple steps to try and remove this including configuring clear type, disabling font smoothing in the...
  7. New Windows Terminal Preview v0.8 Release for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Terminal Preview v0.8 Release for Windows 10: The release of the Windows Terminal preview v0.8 has arrived! You can download the Terminal from the Microsoft Store or from the GitHub releases page. Let’s jump into what’s new! Search Search functionality has been added to the Terminal! The default key binding to invoke...
  8. New Windows Terminal Preview v0.4 Now Avialable

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Terminal Preview v0.4 Now Avialable: The time has come for another update to the Windows Terminal! Windows Terminal Preview v0.4 is now available in the Microsoft Store and on GitHub! [ATTACH] Settings Updates Profiles.json is Now in LocalState The profiles.json file has been moved from the RoamingState...
  9. Microsoft Chromium Edge might come with dual rendering engine support

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Chromium Edge might come with dual rendering engine support: Microsoft Chromium Edge official preview version is believed to be just around the corner and recently an early build of the browser leaked online revealing some of the features. Microsoft Chromium Edge will retain the features from the current browser and as well as Chrome....
  10. The birth of Microsoft's new web rendering engine Project Spartan

in Windows 10 News
    The birth of Microsoft's new web rendering engine Project Spartan: As we announced last month, Project Spartan will be the new browser across all Windows 10 devices, from phones to tablets, PCs and beyond. You’ll hear about the new browser’s features in the coming months but in this post, we want to tell you more about what motivated us to...