Windows 10: Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not

Discus and support Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Once in a while, usually when I'm gaming, I will be pressing a key say, "w" and either: 1 My keyboard no longer realizes I'm holding the key, or 2 I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rmcgre, May 16, 2020.

1. rmcgre Win User

Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not

Once in a while, usually when I'm gaming, I will be pressing a key say, "w" and either:

1 My keyboard no longer realizes I'm holding the key, or

2 I stop pressing the key, but my keyboard thinks I'm still pressing it.

This is annoying when playing games especially, because the character I am controlling does not do what I want it to as a result of these problems.

This happened on my old computer, but it happens more frequently on this computer an HP Pavilion cs3xxx. I have seen many other questions about this problem, with no helpful answers.

To preempt any preliminary questions: No, I do not have sticky keys or any accessibility options on. This apparently happens with every key on my keyboard as long as I am using it in the moment.

If there are any known fixes to this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

:)

rmcgre, May 16, 2020

2. Control key held down

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

Before we proceed, please answer the following questions to help you better.

• Does this issue occur only while using the Microsoft Office Suite?
    • What is the exact error message that you get?

Check if the Sticky Keys and Toggle keys are turned on. If yes, I suggest you to turn it off. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + I and click on Ease of Access.
    • Click on Keyboard tab.
    • Turn off Sticky Keys and Toggle keys.
    • Check if the issue persist.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 16, 2020
  3. paul7876 Win User
    Key press beeps go funny if a key is held down (E71)

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that the beeps produced by pressing a key go a bit funny if a key is held down for a few seconds to make it beep repidly?

If I'm scrolling down a long list of files, the key beeps change to what is almost a double beep, then if I do it again theres a click and it all goes back to normal.

I don't think this is a hardware fault, as its never been dropped, has done this since day one, and only happens if I hold a key down as opposed to pressing it quickly.

Anyone else noticed this?

Paul

paul7876, May 16, 2020
  4. JJJJJohn Win User

Control key held down

Hi Azaruddin,

I again tagged a few items for batch processing, ie. held the Shift Key + Control Key to select a number of items, then I got the message Control Key appears to be held down and then it selected items at random, but I could not remove the selection. To be
    honest, I did not make a note of the error message thinking that I would try again and use the Snipping Tool to capture the message. Typical Windows 10, I cannot now repeat the problem but cannot believe that it has gone away. In reply to your question as
    to whether it only occurs while using the Microsoft Office Suite; mostly, but not always. Sometimes it has done when I have been in the pictures folder and wishing to move items to another folder. Bewildered !!

John

JJJJJohn, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not - Similar Threads - thinks keys are

2. Windows thinks PgDn is being held down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows thinks PgDn is being held down: This problem ONLY happens on Windows windows and not on any other programs. I also cannot type into the search bar in the start menu. I've tried: Disconnecting keyboard Restarting with the keyboard disconnected Connecting a different keyboard Pressing the key repeatedly...
  3. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down: On certain MS applications such as mail or settings, I have an issue that is kind of hard to explain. Some examples are not being able to press the sleep button from the windows menu - it flashes grey as if it is being selected repeatedly by pressing the tab key. Another...
  4. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down: On certain MS applications such as mail or settings, I have an issue that is kind of hard to explain. Some examples are not being able to press the sleep button from the windows menu - it flashes grey as if it is being selected repeatedly by pressing the tab key. Another...
  5. Windows 10 thinks that keys TAB is being held down

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Random keys act like they're stuck even though they're physically not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random keys act like they're stuck even though they're physically not: I just bought a brand-new laptop a couple of weeks ago with Windows 11 on it but from day 1 I've been having issues with the keyboard. For example, if I hold down the down arrow button or W key too long sometimes, the window start button activates. If I'm casually typing or...
  7. Random keys act like they're stuck even though they're physically not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random keys act like they're stuck even though they're physically not: I just bought a brand-new laptop a couple of weeks ago with Windows 11 on it but from day 1 I've been having issues with the keyboard. For example, if I hold down the down arrow button or W key too long sometimes, the window start button activates. If I'm casually typing or...
  8. My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My pc thinks the windows key is being held down even though it’s not: So i was playing gta v and before long while i started playing since i have wasd as my keybinds when im pressing w it closes gta and brings up whiteboard, i tested this by pressing r and s, which opened run and search respectively, this is not a problem i’ve only seen with my...
  9. Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 thinks a key is being held down, even with the keyboard held down: Windows (1903) now thinks that a key is being held down, even when there's no keyboard connected. At first it was the "k" key, and now the "s" key. This has rendered this PC pretty much unusable, and reformatting isn't an option as this is my gaming PC with a crap ton of...
  10. Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down: Hi there, I'm having an issue where every now and then when I press a key, if it is not interrupted with another key press the last key will continue on a though pressed. For instance, ending this sentence with a period and having this occur would look like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows keys