Windows 10: Windows thinks video device is audio now

Discus and support Windows thinks video device is audio now in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ever since the new Windows 10 update, my computer now thinks my video device is an audio device. Specifically, it is a USB-plugable microscope. I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chrfraje68, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Windows thinks video device is audio now

Ever since the new Windows 10 update, my computer now thinks my video device is an audio device. Specifically, it is a USB-plugable microscope. I could go back to the previous version (before the update) but I can only do that for so long. I need a permanent solution. (Other than to get Microsoft to stop messing with all the drivers with every update.)

Here's what I have tried:
    - Rebooting the computer (don't we all do that first?)
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling the microscope software
    - Trying to update the driver within the device manager (but, since it thinks it is an audio device, will only let me look for an audio driver)
    - Contacted the manufacture of the microscope who said to do what I had done above but also look for the driver to install manually. Again, since it thought it was an audio device, would not let me install a video driver.

So, frustration level is high at this point. I'm pretty sick of having to reinstall or troubleshoot everything I plug into the computer every time Microsoft updates windows 10. (From this to photo cards to headsets...UGH!)

:)

chrfraje68, Jan 16, 2021

2. Audio device

Hi Rajamannar,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue may occur due to the audio and display driver is out dated. Let’s try simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods information provided.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run sound audio troubleshooter, it will automatically detect the problem and fix it. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R and click on
      Control Panel

• Click on View by: category and click on
      Small icon.

• Now click on troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on Playing Audio and Click on Next button.
    If the issue still persist try the below steps:

Method 2.

I recommend you to update the audio driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device manager
    • Now click on Audio input and output and right click on it and
      update the driver.
    • For the video issues try the below method.
    Method 3.

Also I suggest you to update the display driver and let us know the status.

• Press Windows Key + R and type
      devmgmt.msc in the box and hit Enter.

• Locate and Expand the Display Adapter driver.

• Right Click on the Display Device.

• Click on update.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 16, 2021
  3. My PC Will Not Play Any Video or Audio Files

Hi Adam,

The issues with accessing audio and video might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers on your computer.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you tried to access videos on different browser (Internet Explorer) and check?
    • Were you able to access any other audio from your computer?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

try the audio troubleshooter.

Method 2: I suggest you to change the properties of Windows Audio services and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Audio and select Start.

• Select Properties for
      Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Method 3: I recommend you to update the audio drivers and check if it helps.

• Open Start, enter
      Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    • Under Sound, video, and game controllers,
      select your sound card, open it, select the Driver
      tab, and select Update Driver.

Method 4: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing audio and video on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 16, 2021
  4. Windows thinks video device is audio now

Windows change audio playback device when not requested. Also it ignored disabled device.

Hi,

I realize that you are facing driver issues and application issues after the anniversary update. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to update the audio driver and display driver from Device Manager to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to update the display driver:

- Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

- Expand “Display Adaptor”.

- Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to update the audio/sound driver:

• Open Start, enter Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

• Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver.

• If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Windows thinks video device is audio now

1. Windows thinks video device is audio now - Similar Threads - thinks video device

2. Windows thinks "USB Video" capture input device is "Audio" instead of "Camera".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows thinks "USB Video" capture input device is "Audio" instead of "Camera".: I am trying to use a USB video capture device on my laptop. Windows finds the device but under Settings...Bluetooth & Other Devices it shows the "USB Video" capture under as "Audio" input only. In the Device Manager it shows the the "USB Video" under Cameras. When I open the...
  3. Windows thinks "USB Video" capture input device is "Audio" instead of "Camera".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows thinks "USB Video" capture input device is "Audio" instead of "Camera".: I am trying to use a USB video capture device on my laptop. Windows finds the device but under Settings...Bluetooth & Other Devices it shows the "USB Video" capture under as "Audio" input only. In the Device Manager it shows the the "USB Video" under Cameras. When I open the...
  4. Setting default audio and video devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting default audio and video devices: Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as...
  5. Setting default audio and video devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting default audio and video devices: Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as...
  6. Setting default audio and video devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Dell Monitor thinks it's an audio device

Dell Monitor thinks it's an audio device: Or in this case multiple audio devices. image.png < image linked shows Sound control panel where multiple DELL audio devices are listed. However, the Monitor doesn't actually have any audio devices and it creates a new Dell display audio every time I plug the monitor in. How...
  8. USB3 video capture device appears as audio device

USB3 video capture device appears as audio device: I have a MyGica u800 HDMI capture device that appears as a video device when plugged directly to my USB3 port. But only appears as an audio device when plugged into a USB3 hub. I have uninstalled the driver and restarted multiple times and run the driver verifier. I am...
  9. Window Updated and now No Audio Output Device Installed

Window Updated and now No Audio Output Device Installed: Windows Update has broken my computer audio. (I bought this ASUS in the Spring because I couldn't use my DELL any longer due to a bad update issue with my wifi adapter that persisted for months.) Windows troubleshooter couldn't find a solution to the problem. I tried...
  10. Problems with USB audio and video devices

Problems with USB audio and video devices: Hi, installed Windows 10 on my new system (my first Win 10 install). So far so good, but having issues with UBS audio and video devices. More specifically, - my Trust webcam (with integrated microphone) does not work: it is recognised by the system, but neither webcam nor...