Windows 10: Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

Discus and support Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows "Threshold," the next major version of Microsoft's Windows operating system due to hit around the spring of 2015, is coming into focus. And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-thresho...rs-7000031070/

Brink, Jun 29, 2014
  2. Phone Man Win User

I find this quote very interesting. Hope her sources are correct.

The Microsoft OS team is hoping to get as many Windows 7 users moved to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 Update in preparation for (hopefully) getting them to move to Threshold once it is out. It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

Jim *Cool

:)

Phone Man, Jul 4, 2014
  3. kscowpoke Win User
    WINDOWS 10 AIRPLANE MODE AUTOMATICALLY TURNS

My Win 10 has the same problem as Time Lady's. The airplane mode icon is active even though I am connected to the internet. I plan to read more on the Threshold update, for my own information.

kscowpoke, Jul 4, 2014
  4. Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

Issues Updating to Windows-10 1511 (Threshold 2)

Over the weekend I have updated my Advent QC6003 desktop (6Gb RAM) to Windows-10 1511 (Threshold 2). The machine was updated from Windows-Vista to Windows-7 earlier in the year and then from Win-7 to Win-10) a few days after Win-10 was originally released.

The update to Win-10 1511 (Threshold 2) went more or less OK BUT when I tried to run it up I had no keyboard, the update appeared to have lost the driver (the keyboard is a KU-0325 model). Thankfully I was able to access the machine to enter my password
    by using the on-screen keyboard (an excellent innovation). However, I believe that the update should NOT have lost the driver and left me without a useable keyboard. I had to install a Generic keyboard driver from the Microsoft site to get it to work again.

Secondly, my machine following the update had no sound whatsoever. Doing some digging I found that the Speakers were marked as being an 'INPUT' device - very strange !! I deleted the driver, rebooted, re-installed the driver and rebooted again and everything
    was back to normal.

Overall not too bad but please try to get peripherals and sound covered for the next big Windows-10 update !!!!!!!!!! I don't know what users with no technical capabilities do when these issues crop up at all !!!

Steve

SteveMcBill, Jul 4, 2014
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Not really sure why people think or even believe that Windows 9 (or whatever) should be free. It is a new OS (maybe), and thus should have a price tag on it. If MS prices OS 9 (or whatever) at the same price as Win 7 and Win 8 then that would be a good thing for all. . .*Thumbs

6. Trust_No1 Win User
    A "good thing for all", how is that?

I think you may not understand the tech ecosystem of today. Google doesn't charge for their OS, Linux (Android) is free, Apple iPhone, iPad, iPods all OS and updates are free, OS X (Macs) they almost give away. Even Amazon if you want to count them. These companies generate their revenues by charging for apps, music, videos, cloud service, advertising, other services, and their devices.

Windows 8 is a failure, Windows 7 is not designed for tablets, touch, apps and today's mind set. Microsoft has to get their software into the game or they will be left behind. Why they chose their past route is any ones guess, but it is clear it has not been working.

I can see very easily why they may upgrade people for free, or even sell it for a small price. People just paid a premium for Windows 8, do you really think they want to shell out another couple hundred dollars a crack after 2 years? If they charge a high price I doubt they would have many takers, I wouldn't buy it. There are far too many other options.

At least that is the way I see it.

Trust_No1, Jul 5, 2014
  7. Winuser Win User
    If MS doesn't offer a discount to upgrade to Windows 9, I won't be upgrading until I have to. For me, Windows 8.1 update 1 does everything I need and then some.

Winuser, Jul 5, 2014
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

That reply sure didn't take long. . .

9. Ztruker Win User
    Windows 9 is everything I want. It's fast, it's customizable, it's cheap, it runs just about anything it's ....

Oh wait ... it hasn't been released yet!

Never mind *Smile

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users - Similar Threads - 'Threshold' More Microsoft's

2. Microsoft promises to give users and apps more control over app defaults and pinning in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft promises to give users and apps more control over app defaults and pinning in Windows: Tired of Microsoft Edge placing multiple icons on the Windows desktop, even after you have just removed them? This and other shenanigans are soon a thing of the past according to Microsoft's announcement on the official Windows blog. In it, Microsoft employees Tali Roth and...
  3. Microsoft redesigning over 100 icons for Windows 10 and more

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft redesigning over 100 icons for Windows 10 and more: Blank pages and redesigns have nothing on sequels. Last year, we rolled out the new Office icons to show our customers that we've evolved our products to support the changing world of work. A world where, despite being more mobile than ever before, social connectedness and...
  4. Microsoft’s got a plan to boost Windows 10 adoption ahead of Windows 7 EOL

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s got a plan to boost Windows 10 adoption ahead of Windows 7 EOL: Windows 7 will stop receiving updates and security patches from January 2020 which will make the OS unsafe to use any longer. EOL refers to ‘End-of-life’ and it is the point where Microsoft stops supporting a product. With Windows 7 reaching end-of-life in 2020, there’s a...
  5. Windows 10 Threshold was Windows 9 internally at Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Threshold was Windows 9 internally at Microsoft: Interesting: Windows 10 Threshold was Windows 9 internally at Microsoft When Microsoft jumped directly to Windows 10 from Windows 8 PC / Windows Phone 8.1, it was quite a surprise, given the logical and expected order could have been Windows 9 after Windows 8. But our...
  6. More details emerge on Microsoft's Windows phone plans

in Windows 10 News
    More details emerge on Microsoft's Windows phone plans: Earlier today, Microsoft announced a major restructuring of its mobile hardware business, which will include the loss of around 7,800 jobs, mostly from its phone division. The company also took a write-down of $7.6 billion, an 'impairment charge' related to its $7.2 billion...
  7. Advantages over Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Advantages over Windows 7?: I have a 4 year old laptop that was updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last Wednesday. The recovery screen says that I have 1 month to decide whether to switch back to Windows 7 (I guess I could do it later too, but that would mean a clean install which is rather time...
  8. Inside Microsoft's grand plan to sell more Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Inside Microsoft's grand plan to sell more Windows 10: Microsoft officials gave PC and phone makers their latest Windows 10 marching orders at WinHEC 2016. Here's where Microsoft is hoping its partners push the envelope the rest of this year. Microsoft isn't expected to have its next wave of Windows 10 devices ready for...
  9. Cortana integration with Windows 'Threshold' looking more likely

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana integration with Windows 'Threshold' looking more likely: Rumors have been circulating for a while that Microsoft is planning to incorporate its personal digital assistant, Cortana, into the next major version of Windows. On August 11, those rumors turned up a notch, with Neowin.net reporting that internal "dogfood" builds of...
  10. Microsoft to share Windows Threshold plans at Build 2014 show: Report

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to share Windows Threshold plans at Build 2014 show: Report: Microsoft's Windows team may share its high-level plans for its next-generation Windows 'Threshold' release at its upcoming Build developers show, according to a new sourced report. It looks like those Threshold tipsters were right on the money about Microsoft's...