Windows 10: Windows Threshold wave 2 will focus primarily on optimization

Discus and support Windows Threshold wave 2 will focus primarily on optimization in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; While Microsoft is putting the final polish on Windows 10 ahead of its release next week, it's time to start looking at what's next for the OS. While... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows Threshold wave 2 will focus primarily on optimization

Read more: Windows Threshold wave 2 will focus primarily on optimization

:)

Brink, Jul 19, 2015

2. Downgrade from windows 10 and upgrade from windows 8.1

ATM only Insiders (build 10565 and up) can do this. Threshold 2 (wave 2) should give that ability to regular users in a couple of weeks

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 19, 2015
  3. Windows Insider Builds problem

@EVERYONE

Threshold 2 (wave 2) should be released in 2-3 weeks. It should have the ability to simply use the underlying OS' Key avoiding the necessity of re-installing the legacy OS.

If you can wait that long it may be easier

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 19, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Nice to think that - but my machine runs fast enough already -- I'm not sure whether any further optimisation of the OS (build 10240) would be noticeable at all. -- at least on my computers.

How would Ms for example Optimise the OS so a Video conversion at the highest resolution would run much faster than currently --things like Handbrake ripping a Blu Ray DVD to an Mp4 / Mkv file depend far more on the Hardware than the actual efficiency of the OS.

These days probably the BEST thing you can do (always assuming there's sufficient RAM in the machine --which there is of course nowadays with modern computers) is to use SSD's where possible for the OS and temporary storage for things like photo shop / video editing and for the rest get the FASTEST HDD's you can afford.

Applications can also be better written -- that's usually 100% outside the control of the OS.

I'll bet even with the FASTEST OS in the world with the fastest HDD's a really inefficient application will still kill a system.

For instance loads of older applications still perform entire screen / video re-writes - when a little bit of extra care in the coding could create a better app that only needed to refresh those parts of the screen that had actually CHANGED.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 19, 2015
  5. I think the optimizations might be more for lower end hardware and eliminating random bugs. One UI bug oversight I found last night while File Explorer was trying to load and I was trying to jump to my D:\ drive from the breadcrumb bar, the old Aero loading circle showed its ugly shiny face.

This is Windows. There is ALWAYS something to improve. *Nerd

Coke Robot, Jul 19, 2015
  6. rmonroe36 Win User
    A program (including an OS) is NEVER done! *Wink

Rich

rmonroe36, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Threshold wave 2 will focus primarily on optimization - Similar Threads - Threshold wave focus

2. Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2: When are we enterprise users going to receive the update? Thanks. 29728
  3. Windows 10 Threshold 2

Windows 10 Threshold 2: Should I update first to build 10240 or wait till November? Also, will the Media Creation Tool update itself directly to the new build? Insiders, what is new in this update apart from UI changes? 27347
  4. Where is Version 1511 (Threshold 2)

Where is Version 1511 (Threshold 2): I apologize if this is a dumb question. I did a bunch of searching but didn't find an direct answer. I thought I was following all the Windows 10 news. But I am confused. I know Microsoft pulled the 1511 release but then put it back. After being in the insider program on...
  5. Threshold 2 question

Threshold 2 question: I have Windows 10 professional. Unfortunately all this fast/slow ring , insider stuff is a tad confusing. On my machine I ticked defer updates as I don't want to be a beta tester/Guinea pig for any old release that comes down the pipe. But obviously I wonder about threshold 2...
  6. Threshold 2 destroys bcd

Threshold 2 destroys bcd: I was not getting the update thru the reg windows update so I decided to do a manual update to win 10 with the lastest ms tool. It actually was successful. When it completed I was able to use Windows normally and it was updated to threshold 2. However when i reboot I get a...
  7. Anyone seen threshold 2 yet?

Anyone seen threshold 2 yet?: I have had a cumulative update but winver build has stayed at 10240 was that it or not? 29369
  8. Redstone Wave 2 comes. :)

in Windows 10 News
    Redstone Wave 2 comes. :): Redstone Wave 2 Comes! *Wink Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Source: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date 49724
  9. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2: Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc. PS: the...
  10. Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft codename 'Threshold': The next major Windows wave takes shape: When I blogged recently about Microsoft's plans on the operating-systems front following Windows 8.1, I mentioned a couple of "spring 2015" releases. It turns out the Microsoft codename for that wave of deliverables is "Threshold." A couple of my contacts have confirmed...