Windows 10: Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily

Discus and support Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, this is a problem that's started happening in the past, oh, week or so? Usually I use apps, some memory-intensive, with various folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DerekDoole, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily

Hello, this is a problem that's started happening in the past, oh, week or so? Usually I use apps, some memory-intensive, with various folders containing pictures, videos, so files that have thumbnails. And, usually, there is no problem.

Now though, for the past week or so, whenever I use an app that puts the desktop in the background, or otherwise consumes a fair amount of memory i.e. a video game, or rendering something in a 3D program, the thumbnails bug out and become all white. It's possible to fix it by restarting Explorer, or by deleting the thumbnail cache, but that's pretty tedious to do over and over again. I was wondering if there was something I could do as a more permanent fix.

Another issue that might be related: now, whenever I restart my computer, some video folders which usually show thumbnails revert to the "general items" list view, despite me specifically going into "Properties->Customize->Optimize this folder for videos", every time. What's weird in this case is that picture folders don't seem to do it, and it's pretty inconsistent in terms of what folders get affected. What can I do to make folders REMEMBER the view settings I want?

None of this is very serious, and the folders are perfectly functional, but it is annoying to have to do these steps again.

:)

DerekDoole, Apr 4, 2021

2. Windows 10: transparent icon bug in thumbnail preview

I can confirm the issue exists and is reproducible in Windows 10.

Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily 4arDG.png

It appears to be a bug in the thumbnail code for Windows. I've used IconExtract to review the icons in notepad.exe and don't see any problem within them.

Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily kuDfJ.png

The code that renders the thumbnail inside the folder image appears to have a bug.

I'm not sure what other answer to provide.

I would recommend submitting the details of this bug through the Microsoft Feedback Hub.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a test folder
    • Within the test folder, create another folder the folder.
    • Within the folder folder, right-click and create a New Text Document.
    • Give the new file a name and change the file extension of the New Text Document to a random extension. I used new text document.srt.
    • Try to open the new text document.srt file you created and Windows will prompt for which program to open it with. Choose to always open with Notepad.exe.
    • Change your folder view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the new text document.srt file displays the notepad thumbnail properly.
    • Navigate up to the test folder and change your view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the notepad thumbnail is not displayed properly for the folder thumbnail.

Appleoddity, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    How to view thumbnails of all the videos in subfolders of a folder?

Open the main folder in Windows Explorer, type kind:video in search field. This searches the folder and all its subfolders for any video file, listing them all.

Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily [​IMG]

Kari, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily

Windows 10 photo thumbnail preview not working - getting generic icons showing up instead - Need help please

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if that helps.

• Open This PC on Taskbar.
    • Click or Tap on Pictures folder.
    • Click on View.
    • Click or tap on Options and select Change folder and Search options.
    • Click on View and uncheck Always show icons, Never thumbnails.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily

1. Windows thumbnails bug out after using apps; generally, folder view is behaving wonkily - Similar Threads - thumbnails bug using

2. Computer bugs out after using some apps for so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer bugs out after using some apps for so long: Like the title said computer bugs out after usage of some apps. One of the very few app is Movies & TV. This has been a thing since I got my computer ~ but didn't really care since I didn't use the app for so long. But now it has started bothering me as I now have more apps...
  3. Computer bugs out after using certain apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer bugs out after using certain apps.: Like the title said computer bugs out after usage of some apps. One of the very few app is Movies & TV. This has been a thing since I got my computer ~ but didn't really care since I didn't use the app for so long. But now it has started bothering me as I now have more apps...
  4. Computer bugs out after using certain apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer bugs out after using certain apps.: Like the title said computer bugs out after usage of some apps. One of the very few app is Movies & TV. This has been a thing since I got my computer ~ but didn't really care since I didn't use the app for so long. But now it has started bothering me as I now have more apps...
  5. Computer bugs out after using certain apps.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer randomly bugging out and not loading thumbnails: https://i.imgur.com/cfHLVF7.png Seemingly at random, Windows will just start glitching out like this and not loading any thumbnails for images, or even the proper icons for filetypes. Nothing seems to fix it other than a complete reboot. Also, trying to open Quick Access or...
  7. bug with thumbnail of folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    bug with thumbnail of folders: [ATTACH] for some reason if i put a notepad file into a folder and close the folder the thumbnail of the folder looks slightly corrupted. not sure why but its been like this for a day or 2 and its kind of annoying. already tried clearing out temporary files (thumbnails...
  8. Thumbnail View

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnail View: What happened to Thumbnail view of Office 365 documents in Windows 10? All my thumbnails have disappeared except for pictures and videos. This is very annoying! How do I get them all back?...
  9. Thumbnails not showing in folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not showing in folder view: My canon cr2 images are not showing at thumbnails though jpgs do show up. I have just switched to a different camera. The CR2 files used to show previously but these are larger 2m mb images. Do I need to somehow allocate more memory? 164984
  10. view thumbnails

in Windows 10 Customization
    view thumbnails: Good day I have tried all the usual fixes for this problem clicking the check marks in view , making sure I am in lg or ex lg view. still only can get the photo app icon to view. this is in all my photo folders Peter...