Windows 10: Windows Time not syncing after sleep

Discus and support Windows Time not syncing after sleep in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every time my PC sleeps, the clock appears to stop functioning - upon resuming, the time shown will be the time that the PC slept. While it does show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SColeman89, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Windows Time not syncing after sleep

Every time my PC sleeps, the clock appears to stop functioning - upon resuming, the time shown will be the time that the PC slept. While it does show some other symptoms of a bad CMOS battery the BIOS time is also reset when the PC is turned off, the issue has persisted across two separate motherboards and four CMOS batteries two per motherboard, so I believe the CMOS battery isn't the culprit. I have also tried re-installing Windows including updating to Windows 11 and re-registering the Windows Time process. None of this has had any effect. Is it possible that something on the case

:)

SColeman89, Sep 4, 2021

2. Unable to sync Windows 10 time with time servers

I have a new, OEM installation of Windows 10 that is unable to contact any time servers to sync the system time. Each attempt gives me a timeout error, and pinging the time server times out as well. Here is what I've tried:

• Checked that the Windows Time service is running and set to automatic startup, and restarted it
    • Disabled my firewall
    • Tried using time.nist.gov, which is currently working according to NIST
    • These steps using w32time, which appeared to succeed but didn't update the time

The time is currently off by 7 hours, which shouldn't be far enough to break Internet syncing.

EDIT: Just tried the same steps on my other computer which boots only Windows (albeit an longer-standing installation of 10), and had the exact same issue, except when I try syncing it simply says "An error occurred when Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov." So I highly doubt it is dual boot-related. What is going on?

David Pitchford, Sep 4, 2021
  3. Display will not sleep.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you solve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select the time limit for the system to go to sleep from the drop down list.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 4, 2021
  4. Windows Time not syncing after sleep

Windows losing time during sleep

I'm at a loss with this one. Dell XPS 13 9350. Windows is up to date. Firmware is latest available (problem existed with earlier firmware as well). Tested BIOS battery good.
    The issue is that when the laptop sleeps, time just stops. When it is awakened, the time is exactly where it was when the machine was put to sleep. Going to Date and Time and clicking on sync will update to the correct time.
    Things I've tried:
    SFC scan (no issues)
    Rolling back Windows
    Resetting Windows

I'm thinking it's some issue with the hardware/firmware but wondering if anyone has suggestions, thanks!

edit: I've now also wiped the drive and installed Windows clean. No change.

maccentric, Sep 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows Time not syncing after sleep

1. Windows Time not syncing after sleep - Similar Threads - syncing sleep

2. Windows time failing to sync and update error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows time failing to sync and update error.: I updated my PC on the 15th of March and ever since then my windows date and time have been failing to syncing with the server, I have tried restarting windows time in services.msc but the issue persists. Moreover, when I went to investigate my windows update page, I found...
  3. Windows time failing to sync and update error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows time failing to sync and update error.: I updated my PC on the 15th of March and ever since then my windows date and time have been failing to syncing with the server, I have tried restarting windows time in services.msc but the issue persists. Moreover, when I went to investigate my windows update page, I found...
  4. Windows time failing to sync and update error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?: As title says, today I was starting Windows and was in hurry and by mistake I chose that I do not want sync Microsoft account and Windows, how do I revert this change? I want those two sync'ed....
  6. I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?

I chose to do not sync Microsoft account and Windows, how to revert this?: As title says, today I was starting Windows and was in hurry and by mistake I chose that I do not want sync Microsoft account and Windows, how do I revert this change? I want those two sync'ed....
  7. Unclean shutdowns & reboots from sleep. Syncing or power supply error?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unclean shutdowns & reboots from sleep. Syncing or power supply error?: My computer keeps shutting down from sleep mode without shutting down. It's connected to a UPS so it's not an outage. It could be the power supply unit (I bought a cheap one after the last one gave out, just to see if the motherboard was wrecked.) I noticed that the shutdown...
  8. Sleep/shutdown out of sync

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep/shutdown out of sync: I have set my Dell to turn off - NEVER (obviously until I manually shut down) I have the screen set to turn off after 5 minutes. Lately I notice that it seems to shut down in spite of this setting. Then when I press the power button to turn it back on, nothing happens. Then I...
  9. Windows 10 mail app doesn't sync after waking from sleep

Windows 10 mail app doesn't sync after waking from sleep: This doesn't happen all the time, but very very often, after my computer is in sleep mode, my email will not sync no matter what. I usually have to restart to get it going. Any idea what could be causing this?...
  10. PC wakes from sleep to sync time and HDMI audio is lost

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes from sleep to sync time and HDMI audio is lost: For the last couple of weeks, I guess after upgrading to the Windows 10 Pro Preview Build 10586.545 or because of some windows update, I have been experiencing strange issues where, my PC wakes from sleep and the only thing that I can see in event viewer log is about syncing...