Windows 10: Windows time not updating from local NTP server

Discus and support Windows time not updating from local NTP server in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have an issue with my current Windows 10 machines Windows 10 version 18363.592 not updating times from a local NTP server on my network. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LoopyGnome11, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Windows time not updating from local NTP server

Hi,

I have an issue with my current Windows 10 machines Windows 10 version 18363.592 not updating times from a local NTP server on my network.

I've set Windows to synchronise with an internet time server my local time server running on a fixed IP address 192.168.0.19, but my time is always wrong.

If I force Windows to update the time from the server then I receive the error " An error occurred while Windows was synchronising with 192.168.0.19. This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

I've checked that the time server is running correctly and other devices switches, NAS units etc. all sync correctly. I've been having this issue since the 1909 update was applied, this is happening on several machines.

I've run various NTP checking programmes and all of them report that they can see the time server, using port 123, and can obtain time settings from it, so I can't see that this would be a firewall issue on the machines.

I also have a VM of Windows 8 running on the NAS unit to deal with some legacy items that will not run on Windows 10, and Windows 8 can update its time from the NTP server.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

:)

LoopyGnome11, Jan 29, 2020

2. About Microsoft having public NTP server

I suggest Microsoft to start its own public NTP server, which can be used ny people for syncing computer clocks on networks where NTP ports ate blocked.

Their current server is protected and uses only selected ports for time syncing in OS.

However, if it starts using port 80 or 443 then it will be easy for people to sync on restricted or secured networks.

Kindly let me know if such thing already exists.

Thank you.

rajhanschinmay, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Jorabi1 Win User
    Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC

I am running an NTP server on a Windows 10 PC using the instructions at How to Create a Standalone NTP Server With Windows. The w32tm query output on the server looks correct and shows the server is configured (see below), and the
    W32time service is running.

-----------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>w32tm /query /configuration

[Configuration]

EventLogFlags: 2 (Local)

AnnounceFlags: 10 (Local)

TimeJumpAuditOffset: 28800 (Local)

MinPollInterval: 10 (Local)

MaxPollInterval: 15 (Local)

MaxNegPhaseCorrection: 54000 (Local)

MaxPosPhaseCorrection: 54000 (Local)

MaxAllowedPhaseOffset: 1 (Local)

FrequencyCorrectRate: 4 (Local)

PollAdjustFactor: 5 (Local)

LargePhaseOffset: 50000000 (Local)

SpikeWatchPeriod: 900 (Local)

LocalClockDispersion: 10 (Local)

HoldPeriod: 5 (Local)

PhaseCorrectRate: 1 (Local)

UpdateInterval: 360000 (Local)

[TimeProviders]

NtpClient (Local)

DllName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\w32time.dll (Local)

Enabled: 1 (Local)

InputProvider: 1 (Local)

AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)

ResolvePeerBackoffMinutes: 15 (Local)

ResolvePeerBackoffMaxTimes: 7 (Local)

CompatibilityFlags: 2147483648 (Local)

EventLogFlags: 1 (Local)

LargeSampleSkew: 3 (Local)

SpecialPollInterval: 32768 (Local)

Type: NTP (Local)

NtpServer: pool.ntp.org,0x9 (Local)

NtpServer (Local)

DllName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\w32time.dll (Local)

Enabled: 1 (Local)

InputProvider: 0 (Local)

AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)

-----------------------------------------------------

But I cannot set the time on other PCs using that as the Internet time server, not by name nor ip address. The client can ping the server by name or ip address fine. There are no firewalls involved; the clients and server are connected to the same router.
    When trying to synchronize, they get "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with xxxxx. This operation returned because the timeout period expired." Tried restarting server and service.

Has anyone tried this and gotten it to work?

Jorabi1, Jan 29, 2020
  4. erictang5 Win User

Windows time not updating from local NTP server

How to maintain only 1 NTP server sycronization to the domain server & clients.

NTP Time services not standardise as to follow 1 Domain server instead of 3 other NTP time Servers

erictang5, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows time not updating from local NTP server

1. Windows time not updating from local NTP server - Similar Threads - updating local NTP

2. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10: I'm trying to synchronize my Windows 10 22H2 workstation with our local NTP server.I already synced another Linux device and I got <1ms offset: nvidia@nvidia-orin-rt:~$ ntpdate -q 10.1.2.3 server 10.1.2.3, stratum 3, offset -0.000023, delay 0.02728 27 Jul 07:54:47...
  3. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10: I'm trying to synchronize my Windows 10 22H2 workstation with our local NTP server.I already synced another Linux device and I got <1ms offset: nvidia@nvidia-orin-rt:~$ ntpdate -q 10.1.2.3 server 10.1.2.3, stratum 3, offset -0.000023, delay 0.02728 27 Jul 07:54:47...
  4. Reducing NTP offset with local server and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  6. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  7. ntp server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntp server: HiAll our client PCs are syncronizing time with the domain controller.Problem is I have changed the time provider on the controller, and the client PCs are currently 4min behind the domain controller.How to I force all clients to sync now remotely as I do not have phyical...
  8. ntp server

ntp server: HiAll our client PCs are syncronizing time with the domain controller.Problem is I have changed the time provider on the controller, and the client PCs are currently 4min behind the domain controller.How to I force all clients to sync now remotely as I do not have phyical...
  9. Time Sync: How To config standalone windows non domain to use a ntp server?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Sync: How To config standalone windows non domain to use a ntp server?: Hello. I can only find information on how to setup time sync on a domain controller or on a domain joined pc. However I can not find information on how to configure a standalone non domain joined nor domain controller Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012R2-2019 to connect to...
  10. Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 can't sync its time with NTP server running on a Windows 10 PC: I am running an NTP server on a Windows 10 PC using the instructions at https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/creating-standalone-ntp-server-windows/. The w32tm query output on the server looks correct and shows the server is configured (see below), and the W32time service is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 an error occurred while windows was synchronizing with 192.168

2. ntp sync with a nas w10

3. windows 10 not update local ntp server client