Windows 10: Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps?

Discus and support Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On occasion I want to go back and find something I was doing earlier in the day or a day or two ago. The timeline is really handy for that. However, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps?

On occasion I want to go back and find something I was doing earlier in the day or a day or two ago. The timeline is really handy for that. However, it also gets filled up with a bunch of stuff that is useless to me. For example, every time I grab a screenshot with my SnagIt app, it gets logged, every time I watch a video clip with VLC, this also gets logged.

I was just curious whether there is any way to prevent activity from specific apps of my choosing to NOT be logged just to keep the excess content to a minimum. I've tried researching this and found nothing, but as a last attempt thought that I would try here to see if anyone knows of a way to do this.

:)

hsehestedt, Jul 18, 2020

2. Timeline Activity not showing up

The timeline activity just won't show up on the timeline window. I always get "Use your PC more for activities."

I have enabled the settings required for timeline in Privacy > Activity History:

Let Windows collect my activities

Let Windows Sync my activities

Show activities from accounts

I also tried using regedit to add these variables in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

• EnableActivityFeed
    • PublishUserActivities
    • UploadUserActivities
    All the variables are set to 1, and are DWORD values. (as stated in this article Timeline feature not working in Windows 10), to no effect.

Any more troubleshooting steps I can go through?

HiranmayaGundu, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Timeline: no 'see all activities' option in timeline...

Hi Andrew,

If you're already logged in with your Microsoft account and still don't have the option to see all activities on each date, then it's possible that the activities on your account has been hidden from your Timeline. To verify this, please check if
    Show activities from accounts option has been turned off. If it is, then follow these steps to turn it on:

1. Open Settings > Privacy > Activity history.
    2. Under Activity history, check the box for Let Windows collect my activities from this PC.
    3. Under Show activities from accounts, make sure to toggle it
      on
      for your account.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps?

Microsoft Photos on my Windows 10 PC. How can I delete photos from the timeline?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description, I understand that you want to remove photos that are displayed on the timeline. To remove the photos from the timeline you can follow the steps mentioned:

1. Open Photos app.
    2. Click on the Ellipsis on the top right corner.
    3. Click on Settings.
    4. Under Sources click on X to remove the folder, which has the photos that you want to remove from Timeline.

Regarding the phone issue, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps from the article

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

I understand that you are looking for the feature that detects the duplicate photos in Microsoft Photos app.

I would encourage you to provide your valuable feedback in Feedback hub so that our development team can review your suggestions. To provide your feedback, please refer to the article

Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app.

You can also check in Microsoft Store, which has a variety of useful apps and tools that might be helpful.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps?

1. Windows Timeline - Can I prevent Tracking Activity From Specific Apps? - Similar Threads - Timeline prevent Tracking

2. Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps: Hi everyone,in our company we use intune to enroll company device, for security reasons we decide to prevent users of screenshooting specific app, we would like to prevent screenshot inside specific application and don't block all screen capture on the device.is it possible...
  3. Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps: Hi everyone,in our company we use intune to enroll company device, for security reasons we decide to prevent users of screenshooting specific app, we would like to prevent screenshot inside specific application and don't block all screen capture on the device.is it possible...
  4. Help: I need an app or tool that can track activity & idle times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help: I need an app or tool that can track activity & idle times: Hello, I am looking for an app that can automatically track my activity on my computer, specifically at which times and for how long I've been active and idle. I want to use this to see how much time I spend on my school projects and discover my personal study / break...
  5. Can I prevent a specific folder from being created or moved into another specific folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I prevent a specific folder from being created or moved into another specific folder: One of my siblings goes all the way into my user's desktop directory and launches minecarft from the shortcut I have there, but what he doesn't know is that by doing so he actually creates a folder in the AppData\roaming directory called {.minecraft}. I know I can simply not...
  6. Prevent specific app writing on specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent specific app writing on specific folder: There's a 3rd-party app I have that let me connect to servers to play warcraft 3 with others. It is a great alternative for battle .net. But I am annoyed and worried of what it does. It generates random files inside system's "Windows" and "SysWOW64" folder. It's just weird...
  7. Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory: Is it possible to prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory? On privacy setting it only has option for accessing file system. And on Apps & features setting, not all apps has advanced option button.. What I want to do is something like "prevent foobar.exe...
  8. timeline activity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    timeline activity: when history is cleared, ghost images of files are visible on display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/timeline-activity/3e2f30ed-a0d5-4ae1-9a24-48282a65fc1a"
  9. How to prevent windows from tracking up time?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent windows from tracking up time?: https://i.imgur.com/0epNSpQ.png 142861
  10. Clear Activities from Timeline in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Activities from Timeline in Windows 10: How to: Clear Activities from Timeline in Windows 10 How to Clear Activities from Timeline in Windows 10 Starting with activity history allows you to jump back into what you were doing with apps, docs, or other activities, either on your PC or your phone. To resume your...