Windows 10: Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs

Discus and support Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have enabled Hibernation in the group policy editor on my Enterprise x64 Windows To Go installation on my Samsung T5 portable hard drive. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Seth__B, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Seth__B Win User

Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs

I have enabled Hibernation in the group policy editor on my Enterprise x64 Windows To Go installation on my Samsung T5 portable hard drive.

However, whenever I go into hibernation either cmd shutdown /h, or using power button after setting it to hibernate action the screen shuts off and acts like it is going into hibernate but then never powers off. The T5 activity light is solid no activity and the CPU fan stays on and the power light stays on.. I have no idea what to do. Everything I have read basically stated that simply enabling it in group policy editor was enough. Is there something in my BIOS I need to change?

FWIW: In the normal installation on my local SSD on my computer, hibernate works perfectly and as expected. Is only on the Portable T5 SSD Windows To Go that causes this problem. This person had the same exact issue 5 years ago with no solution the replies are lame, "have you enabled it" when clearly in the title they user states they enabled it.

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/37028-hibernate-enabled-but-not-working-win10-windows-go.html

If anyone knows the magic, please share! Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs :D Thanks!

:)

Seth__B, Jan 24, 2021

2. Windows 10 Hibernate problems

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if for any power components change status.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.
    You can follow the step by step guide to
    enable hibernate option in windows 10

Swapnil Kharche, Jan 24, 2021
  3. windows 10 hanged and hibernating

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand your concern and will help you with the issue.

I suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1

I suggest you to run the performance troubleshooter and check.

Please follow the steps below:

• Type Troubleshooting In search bar.

• Click on Troubleshooting and select the
      view all option on the left pane.

• Click on Performance troubleshooter.

• Follow on screen instruction.

Method 2

I suggest you to refer the article below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681286

Note: applies to windows 10 as well

still issue persists,

Method 3

perform Clean Boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 8.1, Windows 8,
    Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Please refer the steps given in the link below to perform a Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

I also suggest you to follow the steps below:

To make hibernation unavailable:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
      Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press
      Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.
    To make hibernation available:

• In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
      Run as Administrator.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs

Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs

1. Windows To Go and Hibernation - Enabled, but hangs - Similar Threads - Hibernation Enabled hangs

2. HIBERNATE, windows 11 - WHAT triggers it to go into hibernation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HIBERNATE, windows 11 - WHAT triggers it to go into hibernation?: HIBERNATE, windows 11 home.new machine.I've used hibernate for many years. I use a program called AllOff, because IT was CONSISTENT in detecting keyboard and mouse inactivity, but windows itself was not.Now, with windows 11, i'd like to RELY on microsoft detection of...
  3. HIBERNATE, windows 11 - WHAT triggers it to go into hibernation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HIBERNATE, windows 11 - WHAT triggers it to go into hibernation?: HIBERNATE, windows 11 home.new machine.I've used hibernate for many years. I use a program called AllOff, because IT was CONSISTENT in detecting keyboard and mouse inactivity, but windows itself was not.Now, with windows 11, i'd like to RELY on microsoft detection of...
  4. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  5. Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Hibernate enabled, cannot auto hibernate: Hi,I have windows 11 and have just enabled hibernate so that it can be manually activated. yay!I have also set my hibernate to full space capacity instead of the default i think it is 40%1 Next I would like to set my computer to automatically hibernate after 30 minutes...
  6. windows doesn't go hibernate

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows doesn't go hibernate: Hi firstly sorry about my bad english. i have a problem with my windows. when i hibernate my laptop it doesn't go hibernate. screen become off and on after some seconds. i have no choice except shut down . regards....
  7. Windows 10 hangs from sleep or hibernation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs from sleep or hibernation: Windows 10 doesn't come up from sleep or hibernation. This is happening ever since some new updates were installed. many users in my office are struggling. pls help!!!...
  8. Hibernate Enabled but not working in Win10 Windows to Go

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate Enabled but not working in Win10 Windows to Go: I have Windows 10 Home installed and activated (as Windows to Go) on an external Samsung T1 SSD. I enabled hibernation per the instructions here: Hibernate - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. However, every time I attempt to hibernate, the screen goes black...
  9. Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Hibernate is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops, and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). While sleep...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Windows To Go using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Windows To Go Workspace using Hibernate on Windows 10 PC editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external...