Windows 10: Windows tries to boot from wrong drive

Discus and support Windows tries to boot from wrong drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good morning! A few months ago I replaced my original HDD with an SSD, which is now called Drive C: and contains the OS (Win 10). When I first did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PaulAubin, Sep 16, 2019.

1. PaulAubin Win User

Windows tries to boot from wrong drive

Good morning!

A few months ago I replaced my original HDD with an SSD, which is now called Drive C: and contains the OS (Win 10). When I first did this I simply disconnected the HDD and Windows always booted from the new SSD without an issue.

Recently I decided to convert the original HDD to a media storage drive so I reformatted it and named it Drive E. But for some reason when I reboot the computer it tries to boot from the HDD (the blank Drive E) rather than the SSD (Drive C with the OS). Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

:)

PaulAubin, Sep 16, 2019

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Dandel Win User
    How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Sep 16, 2019
  4. Wile E Win User

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

Yeah, but he's throwing OS X in there. Not quite as easy to do, but not all that hard. Manual configuration of GRUB is necessary.

Wile E, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows tries to boot from wrong drive - Similar Threads - tries boot wrong

2. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  3. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  6. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager booting to the wrong drive: Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this...
  7. Boot manager on wrong drive

Boot manager on wrong drive: I just replaced the HDD in this desktop PC with an ssd, but both drives were connected when I installed windows on the SSD. For some idiotic reason it requires BOTH drives to boot to the SSD. Is there any way to fix this without having to reinstall windows all over again?...
  8. Laptop boots from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boots from wrong drive: I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up. I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter...
  9. PC Booting from wrong drive since update

PC Booting from wrong drive since update: I just installed the new windows 10 update but now my PC is booting from my C drive when it was usually going from my D drive so all my user setting and files are still on the D drive. They are accessible but it is a bit annoying that everything has changed around and all my...
  10. Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive

Installed a new drive, now my system tries to boot from the wrong drive: So while I was cleaning out my garage, I found an old 2TB HDD that I had used on an old system. I decided to install it in my new system, which was running on a single 1TB SSD. I had built the system myself and installed Windows on the SSD, which didn't have any problems with...