Windows 10: Windows turns 30: a visual history

Discus and support Windows turns 30: a visual history in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] The PC revolution started off life 30 years ago this week. Microsoft launched its first version of Windows on November 20th, 1985, to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Windows turns 30: a visual history

Windows turns 30: a visual history [​IMG]

Read the full history: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9...story-30-years

:)

Cluster Head, Nov 19, 2015
  2. vianneyZs Win User

Access to location history

Hi Harkanwar,

by location history, I mean history of the GPS geographical position of the phone. And my question is how to access such history and visualize it on a map?

vianneyZs, Nov 19, 2015
  3. RONGIBBS Win User
    visual voicemail turn off?

Thanx Lex, but....

Phone tile tap..I immediately get a Visual voicemail prompt. "Enter your voicemail password" Choice is "done" or cancel

[highlighted]. hit done , nothing happens...cancel goes to history...I get to settings and there is NO reference to visual voicemail on or off. Voicemail seems to work just fine. But the prompt is annoying....I never set up a password and I dont need the
    visual portion. I am a new guy...640xl...windows 8.1.. Not sure how to get my free windows 10 but thinking 10 might solve problem. Thanx in advance for your response. Ron

RONGIBBS, Nov 19, 2015
  4. BillyBob Win User

Windows turns 30: a visual history

I remember all the complaints when Windows first came out, I think all the same people are still complaining now, some things never change.

BillyBob, Nov 19, 2015
  5. KACI Win User
    Can anyone remember using a runtime version of Windows?

6. Fafhrd Win User
    I can remember having a demo of Windows v1, on a couple of 5.25" floppies, but I learnt to use Windows 2 as a "mature student" (aged 38) on my Information Studies MSc. course in 1989/90 at Sheffield University. I wrote my dissertation using Paintbrush, Write, MS Word for DOS and Mac, carrying data as Word documents on both 5.25" and 3.5" floppies between the Information Studies Dept. and the Computing Centre - networking was limited to a few academic online data services and the library catalog, and the printing was queued to a central print server. I don't even remember using email at that time.

Windows 3.0 came out that year.

Windows was not a serious OS then, just a program that gave a graphical interface that ran on DOS, and supported a few Windows applications - which were almost all from Microsoft, very few, if any, from 3rd party software houses.

The PCs we used were mostly Opus and Viglen 286 or 386 machines with monochrome amber screens. The Macs had tiny inbuilt Colour screens.

Printing was mostly done on noisy Epson Dot-Matrix printers on fanfold paper. The computer centre had a Hewlett Packard laserjet. You were lucky if the PCs had 20 or 30 MB hard disks. At about £1.5K, I couldn't afford my own PC yet.

By 1992 Windows 3.1 was supplied on almost all domestic personal computers direct from the Manufacturers, Colour Monitors and up to 4 MB of RAM was standard. Networking was proliferating, mainly with Novell Netware. With Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in 1993, and NT 3.1, networks became available for all. Over the next couple of years, CompuServe and AOL meant that anyone could get online if they had a serial port, a modem and a telephone line, and it all mushroomed from there.

3.1 is still alive and just kicking apparently:

Windows 3.1 Is Still Alive, And It Just Killed a French Airport | VICE News

(I think this may be NTv3.1 though, hard to tell)

Fafhrd, Nov 19, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    This thread - just shows OUR age..

8. Windows turns 30: a visual history

Too right those were the days
    the ones today don't know how lucky we all are
    windows 10 is a god send lol

hTconeM9user, Nov 19, 2015
  9. Atomic77 Win User
    I was turning 8 years old in 1985 I don't even think I knew what windows 1.0 was back then.

Atomic77, Nov 19, 2015
  10. Rocky Win User
    Thanks, that is sooo cool.

Rocky, Nov 19, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Still want your control panel?*Tongue

Windows turns 30: a visual history [​IMG]

Cliff S, Nov 19, 2015
  12. strollin Win User
    I remember booting up a copy of Windows 1.0 and thinking how useless it was. I didn't have any actual Windows applications like Word so there was only the built-in apps like Notepad and Paint and I had better DOS based versions of them.

I agree with hTcloneM9user that younger users don't realize how lucky we are these days compared to back then. Word for Windows (Office didn't exist yet) was priced at around $300 and didn't have near the capabilities of modern Word. There were no free alternative compatible packages such as LibreOffice, there were alternative commercial programs and there were some shareware alternatives.

strollin, Nov 19, 2015
  13. Rocky Win User

I just received my 2015 Microsoft Annual Report in the mail today. What a nice coincidence.

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows turns 30: a visual history - Similar Threads - turns visual history

2. Activity History - extend history to more than 30 days

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activity History - extend history to more than 30 days: Windows' Activity History is extremely useful feature, but it only stores last 30 days. Is there a way how to change it / extend it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activity-history-extend-history-to-more-than-30/dcd27039-fdb2-4629-b4d3-f78e5711ddd6
  3. Activity History - extend history to more than 30 days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activity History - extend history to more than 30 days: Windows' Activity History is extremely useful feature, but it only stores last 30 days. Is there a way how to change it / extend it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activity-history-extend-history-to-more-than-30/dcd27039-fdb2-4629-b4d3-f78e5711ddd6
  4. Activity History - extend history to more than 30 days

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Clipboard History Not turning On!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard History Not turning On!!: Hi,Please help me I recently updated my windows 11 and when i took screen shot and tried to paste it it didn't paste, Then I tried opening clipboard it didn't open , then i googled it and i came to know my clipboard history was off and i enabled it but the problem was not...
  6. Clipboard History Not turning On!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clipboard History Not turning On!!: Hi,Please help me I recently updated my windows 11 and when i took screen shot and tried to paste it it didn't paste, Then I tried opening clipboard it didn't open , then i googled it and i came to know my clipboard history was off and i enabled it but the problem was not...
  7. Problems with turning on file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with turning on file history: My issues showed up some months ago, all of a sudden the photos I had neatly compacted into folders totally disappeared. I have been able to download a few camera chips, and put some files back in, but everything is just scattered everywhere. There is little seperation in any...
  8. How to turn on File History ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to turn on File History ?: From the control panel : How to turn on File History ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-file-history/5412cd2b-5ce4-4558-ba2b-5c0f6a865dbf
  9. Cannot turn on clipboard history

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot turn on clipboard history: The option in grayed out. Above it is "Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization." I don't have an organization. This is my private desk top computer. How can I rid this red warning and turn on clipboard history?...
  10. Visualization doesn't turn on in BIOS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Visualization doesn't turn on in BIOS: Hello. I want to install other os'es in virtualbox but it only shows 32 bit machines, no 64 bit. After searching around the internet i found that you had to enable virtualization in BIOS. I did that but it still showed 32bit but when i went again in BIOS it showed...