Windows 10: Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

Discus and support Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, A couple of weeks ago I updated my Windows 10 to the most recent version, and now I'm having a pretty annoying problem. After startup, when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by VinDeagle22, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

Hello,
    A couple of weeks ago I updated my Windows 10 to the most recent version, and now I'm having a pretty annoying problem.

After startup, when I start my daily routine, I seem to loose my internet connection after some time (it differs every time) no matter what I'm doing. When this happens I suddenly find me unable to close or open any programs that require internet connection (Discord, Chrome etc, while Photoshop opens and closes fine) nor I can restart or shutdown windows from the Taskbar. This happens only the first time I boot my PC in a day.

I've already checked my HDD through "chkdsk" and it's all fine, no damage whatsoever. I also tried the "sfc /scannow" command and although it was completed and found some corrupted registers Windows couldn't repair anything and it printed me a log.

I even tried to update my Windows 10 to the newest version possible but I've encountered a blue screen midway through it.

What I am supposed to do now?

:)

VinDeagle22, Dec 2, 2019
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart :confused:*Mad Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Dec 2, 2019
  3. little cat, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Cake5 Win User

Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

Laptop restarts when i try to shut down

What methods have you used to shut it down? The usual ways are to open Start, click the power icon and then choose Shut Down. Alternatively you can go onto the desktop and press Alt+F4 to open the shut down/restart dialog. Third,
    type "shut down" into the Start search and click the "shut down" entry.

Also see
    this forum post
    from 2015. Microsoft staff member answer below copied from linked:

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3:

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are

causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Ravindra R Kamath

Microsoft Community

Cake5, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart

1. Windows Unable to Shut Down or Restart - Similar Threads - Unable Shut Down

2. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Windows Restarting after shutting down

Windows Restarting after shutting down: I'm using Dell laptop, windows 10 for 15-16 months now. But recently some issues arose.Whenever I try to shut downTurn OFF the laptop, after 5 seconds it automatically Turn ON. Everytime I try, it turns ON.Secondly, when I long press the power button, it Turns OFF and doesn't...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  7. Windows not shutting down or restarting correctly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows not shutting down or restarting correctly: I upgraded ddr4 ram in my desktop pc and afterwards it strated not shutting down or restarting correctly. When doing either the screen turns off but the lights and fans keep running. It stays like that unless i hold the power button down and force it to turn off. I have...
  8. Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Windows restarts instead of shutting down: Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown. The only...
  9. Windows 10 Shut down and restart

Windows 10 Shut down and restart: Shut down and restart not working in Windows 10. Everytime I had to press power button to shut down. Battery drains even after powering off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shut-down-and-restart/a8c8a9f1-3591-4bf4-aa54-c2301f899a7e
  10. Unable to shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to shut down.: My laptop pc with Windows 10 Pro has decided that when given the order to shut down it will do so, but then after 5 seconds or perhaps up to 15 minutes later it will reboot. Something is telling it to restart. What??? I have already done this to try to stop it: In the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows will not shutdown or restart

2. unable to shutdown and restart pc

3. pc unable to shut down or restart