Windows 10: Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far

Discus and support Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system continues to fail/freeze when trying to update to 1803 (currently at 1709). A weird thing has been added to these update problems that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimLaughter, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far

My system continues to fail/freeze when trying to update to 1803 (currently at 1709). A weird thing has been added to these update problems that I hope someone is familiar with. The latest 1803/1709 update installed 3 updates (Adobe flash, Powerpoint viewer, Office 2010) but the actual version 1709 cumulative update indicates it required a RESTART. Trying to restart my computer now causes it to freeze, thus no 1709 update. I can turn off the computer, then power it up without problems but this apparently isn't the same as a restart. Is it possible I need to delete old update files that are causing the freeze? Any suggestions?

:)

JimLaughter, Oct 11, 2018
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Oct 13, 2018
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Oct 13, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far

1. Windows Update 1803 fails again, about 50 failures so far - Similar Threads - Update 1803 fails

2. update 1903 failure, updates past 1803 always fail.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update 1903 failure, updates past 1803 always fail.: i recently ran SetupDiag and opened the results. I believe i have found the issue. Here is the log that was created: Matching Profile found: AdvancedInstallerGenericFailure - 4019550D-4CAA-45B0-A222-349C48E86F71 SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0 System Information: Machine...
  3. Yet again... another failed update! 1803 - 1903!

Yet again... another failed update! 1803 - 1903!: I have 4 different PCs, 2 notebooks and 2 desktops so far the Windows 10 1903 upgrade has failed to install on any of them. The worst problem was with the newest on an Asus TUFF gaming notebook, 1903 upgrade attempts sent it into the dreaded "Windows upgrade install failed,...
  4. windows update 1803 failure

windows update 1803 failure: For the past two months, each time I go to my settings on my laptop to download latest update, I keep getting the error "cant download update because pc was turned off." Why is this happening and is anyone else experiencing this?...
  5. 1803 update fails again. How do I kill it?

1803 update fails again. How do I kill it?: After six attempts at updating 1709 to 1803, I'm giving up. It always fails to install on the restart, and yes, I've tried every trick to get it to install. Now, how do I get rid of the various files it's downloaded and which now add to the clutter on my HD? It now reminds me...
  6. After 1803 update, windows update trying update to 1803 again.

After 1803 update, windows update trying update to 1803 again.: The 1803 update went through without issue. But now windows update is trying to run the update again. My system shows I am running 1803 17134.48. When I push retry, I quickly see something about unable to download before it settles to show the error code. I have tried...
  7. So Far, So Good

in Windows 10 Support
    So Far, So Good: After installing Windows 10 onto my Dell 1545 it appears to run faster than Win-7 and while it will take some time to get used to MS Edge it appears to run faster as well. Learning curve is fair and not too steep. Happy so far. Hopefully I can install the ISO and new GF...
  8. The Only Thing That I Like So Far About The Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    The Only Thing That I Like So Far About The Windows 10 Creators Update: The only thing that I seem to like so far from this update is how the colon for the time in the bottom right corner of the Taskbar got visually fixed! Let me explain... The colon that separates the hours from the minutes has been fixed; the distance of the bottom dot to...
  9. Impressed so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Impressed so far: The upgrade had a hiccup but I've been very pleased with Windows 10 so far My observations ... All programs and hardware work with no modifications (was running 8.1) Full screen apps are manageable from standard PC desktop Like the new UI style, multiple desktops, task...
  10. So far so good Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    So far so good Windows10: Installed Windows10 on two ASUS computers one running Win7pro the other 8.1,both installed Win10 without a problem. All files and installed programs were there after the instillation. Even my very old Paint Shop Pro 7 used on an XD computer again is working. But on the 8.1...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. update 1803 continues to fail