Windows 10: windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression

Discus and support windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I disable Microsoft File compression completely? Since updating to win 10 1809, Microsoft compressed many of my folders without permission or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FinSM, Feb 11, 2019.

1. FinSM Win User

windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression

How do I disable Microsoft File compression completely?

Since updating to win 10 1809,

Microsoft compressed many of my folders without permission or even notification

Including windows system itself and the folder Program Data,

this resulted in the corruption of my Steinberg Cubase E-Licence files.

damage to my expensive purchased VST plugins and Purchased VST instruments.

which no longer work correctly

A drastic slowdown of my entire system it now takes 6 seconds or more to open any folder

and constant system crashes within Cubase

My Laptop has ample ssd disk space with 2 Samsung 500gb SSD drives

I do not require any compression enabled on my computer

I first realised this was the issue, when I noticed many of my folder icons now have two blue arrows (ie they are compressed)

I did not perform this action

This computer is used for music and audio mastering only.

I only connect to the internet in order to obtain software updates and fixes for Cubase.

and occasional emails

I also need to undo all compression that has been carried out without my permission.

:)

FinSM, Feb 11, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Feb 11, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 11, 2019
  4. windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression

1. windows update 1809 damaging my purchased software with file compression - Similar Threads - update 1809 damaging

2. I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?: I'm posting this here because I'm confused about how I fixed my PC. I had water damage on my PC making the trackpad and keyboard lose functionality. I let it sit for a couple of weeks kinda forgot about it and pulled it back out. The keyboard and trackpad were still not...
  3. I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I had water damage on my PC but a software update fixed it?: I'm posting this here because I'm confused about how I fixed my PC. I had water damage on my PC making the trackpad and keyboard lose functionality. I let it sit for a couple of weeks kinda forgot about it and pulled it back out. The keyboard and trackpad were still not...
  4. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  5. File Compression . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  6. Damaged software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Damaged software: Ijust scanned my computer and got this after the scan (\0bbde182910c763511889744ae1b0baa\BITF65D.tmp » CAB » mpasdlta.vdm - archive damaged - the file could not be extracted.)What is it and can it be fixed or should it be fixed?...
  7. Windows Compressing Files

Windows Compressing Files: Whenever I download a file windows is automatically compressing it. I can't seem to find any settings to turn this off. I have plenty of room on my hard drive. Anyone know what's going on?...
  8. Damaged file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Damaged file: How do I repair a damaged Adobe PDF file? MB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/damaged-file/a3799082-2d08-4d96-81dd-0238b6868fcf
  9. Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10

Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10: Good morning, Would appreciate if someone could recommend downloadable software that can compress and de-compress Windows files and audio/video files. Thank You * Moved from Office...
  10. Drivers to printer damage Windows system files. Windows 10 - 1809 update [KB4467708] x64.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers to printer damage Windows system files. Windows 10 - 1809 update [KB4467708] x64.: Windows 10 - 1809 update [KB4467708] x64-based System. Clean system, drivers installed for Panasonic printer [Multi-Function Laser (All-in-One)] (model "KX-MB1500"). Drivers from the official site. Driver version - 1.13 for Windows 8/10. Last update - 30.nov.2012. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable file compression windows 10 1809