Windows 10: Windows Update 1809 Fails Repeatedly. Have Tried Many Troubleshooting Steps.

Discus and support Windows Update 1809 Fails Repeatedly. Have Tried Many Troubleshooting Steps. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been fighting with Update 1809 for months now. It just steadfastly refuses to install, and occasionally drops a couple of highly generic error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MGmirkin, Apr 20, 2019.

1. MGmirkin Win User

Windows Update 1809 Fails Repeatedly. Have Tried Many Troubleshooting Steps.

I've been fighting with Update 1809 for months now. It just steadfastly refuses to install, and occasionally drops a couple of highly generic error messages. Latest is 0x80004005, have previously gotten 0x80004005 - 0x1000a, and a couple others I forget (one or two to do with possible component / database errors).

Originally, update 1809 showed up in my normal updates. It kept trying to install and failing to install.

So, I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter in windows. It claimed to fix some issues. So, I tried again. Still failed. Tried the one you download from M$... Same. Claimed it fixed some issues (no idea if it actually did or not). Still same errors.

So, I tried the Windows Update Assistant. That failed. Repeatedly.

So, I tried DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth … /ScanHealth … /RestoreHealth and SFC /scannow with little success. That is to say, no violations found, nothing repaired.

Did the old "rename SoftwareDistribution.bak" "rename Catroot2.bak" to reset caches & components (yes, did all the net stop / net start on wuauserv, cryptsvc, BITS, etc. in the process). No joy whatsoever. As if it was something that mundane...

So, I tried the Media Creation Tool via USB drive (PNY 16GB thumb drive). That usually gets to the end of the start of setup (blue setup screen), goes in for a "Windows will restart in a few moments" and then simply pops up a message "Windows 10 Update Failed" with no further comment. What gives? LAME...

So, I tried the solution of downloading the latest "servicing stack update," but it says it's already installed, and doesn't even attempt to install itself (I guess it considers it redundant).

So, l I tried looking up the latest cumulative update KB for 1803 and reinstalling, as another troubleshooting guide suggested. It says the cumulative update is already installed, and refuses to attempt reinstalling it.

I've tried a clean boot (disable all non-Microsoft services, and disable all startup items). Update / Update Assistant / Media Creation Tool all still fail in clean boot.

I tried booting into safe mode. But it doesn't seem to like me trying the MCT installer from safe mode, and the regular update / update assistant still failed.

I've tried looking at the WindowsUpdate log file(s), but nothing immediately jumps out at me from the technobabble therein. Searching for "fatal" or "warning" as one troubleshooting guide suggested finds nothing in the log with either such word.

I've tried disconnecting all USB peripherals other than mouse / keyboard prior to & during update.

I had very similar problems with a prior update. Fall Creator's Update, I think? Can't recall if that was 1803 or some prior one. IT failed and failed and failed and failed, and then one day, for basically no good reason, it worked (and I immediately created a new restore point, after the update, cleared the cache, logs, etc. so there was no way it could accidentally rollback). Neither here nor there, just saying WU has been a pain in the hindquarters before.

Anyway, I'm running a Gateway DX4350. It's an older model, but it checks out. Runs Win10 perfectly fine, by and large. Other than these stupid update fails.

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
    16GB RAM (4x4G Corsair PC3-10700)
    1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD (as primary boot drive [upgraded last summer])
    2TB HDD (converted to secondary storage drive)
    MSI Radeon HD 6850 video card (older model, but works great; may upgrade at some point).
    Brother laser printer (HL 5370-DW)
    ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 dongle (USB-BT400)
    Logitech webcam (C210, I believe?)
    ASUS external Blu-Ray reader & DVD/RW (SBC-06D2X-U)

I think that's pretty much all of my applicable peripherals and such?

I have little or no interest in "resetting" or "clean installing" my machine, as that would be a rather heinous pain in my hindquarters, as I'd have to re-download and reinstall many, many, many, many programs, some of which semi-literally no longer exist (like my Lytro desktop app, for accessing my Lytro camera's image gallery; Lytro no longer is in business, and thus the installer for the app basically no longer exists in the wild).

I'd really like to figure out what the *actual* issue / failure point is for these stupid updates that repeatedly fail to install. Is there a technical way to pin down the precise thing that is failing in the update process and fix it? I'd assume the log files would tell the tale, but, who knows? It's a bit like trying to read a Greek instruction manual. Windows Update 1809 Fails Repeatedly. Have Tried Many Troubleshooting Steps. :p

:)

MGmirkin, Apr 20, 2019
  2. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Apr 20, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update 1809 Fails Repeatedly. Have Tried Many Troubleshooting Steps. - Similar Threads - Update 1809 Fails

2. Wifi Drivers not working- every troubleshooting step tried

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Drivers not working- every troubleshooting step tried: Hi, so I have an ASUS TUF laptop and it has a MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7821 Wireless LAN Card, and recently I have been having an issue where the Wifi wont show up in the pullup tab, along with any settings or anywhere else as pictured below. Here is a list of all the solutions I...
  3. Wifi Drivers not working- every troubleshooting step tried

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Drivers not working- every troubleshooting step tried: Hi, so I have an ASUS TUF laptop and it has a MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7821 Wireless LAN Card, and recently I have been having an issue where the Wifi wont show up in the pullup tab, along with any settings or anywhere else as pictured below. Here is a list of all the solutions I...
  4. War Story: The reason for troubleshooting step-by-step

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    War Story: The reason for troubleshooting step-by-step: OK then, here comes a recent war story/lesson learned. Mid-week last week my right-hand Dell 2717D monitor started flickering on me. I've got it up on my desk, connected to my 1070 GTX graphics card with a miniDP to DP cable from monitor to GPU. I have occasionally kicked...
  5. Can't update to Windows 1909 from 1803. Tried many troubleshooting steps already.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update to Windows 1909 from 1803. Tried many troubleshooting steps already.: Hello, I have attempted to update to windows 1909 around 15 times by now. each time trying a different troubleshooting technique. I am currently on windows 1803, OS build 17134.1246, 64 bit operating system. My most recent error was - 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 failed in the...
  6. Windows update Failing repeatedly

Windows update Failing repeatedly: 2019-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4524147) - Error 0x800f090 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failing-repeatedly/fc794088-c54e-43fa-994d-82e2b200b3f5
  7. Windows update repeatedly failing

Windows update repeatedly failing: Hello, I have browsed the internet for a while now and it's clear to me that many people have had issues regarding this topic. However, I have been experiencing this issue for quite a long time and I have despite all my efforts not been able to resolve the issue nor...
  8. 1809 fails repeatedly to install

1809 fails repeatedly to install: 1809 repeatedly fails to install. It installed on my desktop, but fails on my laptop. This has happened every two weeks or so since the beginning of 2019. I have tried the Windows 10 update assistant, same result. I am OK with skipping this update, is it OK to wait for 1903?...
  9. Repeated failed attempts to install 1809

Repeated failed attempts to install 1809: My Lenovo desktop has repeatedly been trying and failing to install update 1809 since October. The most recent failure was yesterday (20th January) which failed with error 0xc19001e1. Previous (multiple) attempts failed on 14th January with error code 0x80070643. The last...
  10. Windows Repeatedly Fails To Update

Windows Repeatedly Fails To Update: So this issue has been occurring for a while now, where Windows will download an update (2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Stystems (KB4343909)) and time and time again, when my computer starts up from being shutdown or reset, the progress...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update fails repeatedly 1809

2. *failed* [80240013] m_services.add()

3. microsoft update repeatedly fails