Windows 10: Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing

Discus and support Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the past couple of months, my computer has been attempting (and failing) to install the 1903 feature update. I've gone through all sorts of things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeremy Gamble, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing

For the past couple of months, my computer has been attempting (and failing) to install the 1903 feature update. I've gone through all sorts of things trying to get it to install, but it keeps failing. I had honestly gotten to the point that I stopped trying because nothing was working to get the update installed. It seems to stop at about 64% before rebooting and letting me know that it's "undoing changes made to your computer". I've received at least a couple of different errors after the failure, although at this point I can't remember all of them. One was 0x8007042b, while the latest error I got was 0xc1900101.

Lately, my computer has taken it upon itself to try to reboot in the middle of the work day in its attempts to install the update. Most of the time, I catch it and postpone it, but the other day I happened to be away from the office for a little while and missed the prompt so the computer rebooted itself causing me to lose a fair amount of work. So, now I'm back to trying to get the update to install if for no other reason than to prevent that from happening again.

At various times, I've tried pretty much everything I can find to resolve the issue over the past few months:

• Update all drivers in Device Manager
      • Also went to manufacturer sites to download the latest drivers in some cases
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • chkdsk /f
    • Disabled my ESET antivirus
    • "Clean boot"
    • Reset the updates
    • Install the update from an in-place upgrade using the Media Creation Tool
      • Now, I've also tried unsuccessfully doing an in-place upgrade to 1909
    • Disabled IIS (I'm a developer, so that's going to need to go back)
    • Disconnected all extra peripherals
      • Also totally, physically removed the second video card from my computer

I have about 35GB free on my main OS drive (SSD) and 262GB free on my data drive (RAID 1). I'm now to the point where it looks like I'm going to have to perform a complete reinstallation of Windows 10 (going to use the 1909 image I just created), but I'd really rather not. I can't think of anything else to try, and none of my searching is giving me any other options. I'm posting here while I perform a full system backup in preparation for the apparently inevitable, hoping that someone may have a solution that will allow me to just do the update and move on.

I've collected the log files requested in the "Troubleshoot Feature update install failures" article and made them available through OneDrive here (ZIP file): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AraQprZrsYcDlTUhpZBvbgv4G5MQ?e=g2VBb5

Please let me know if I missed something or if there's anything else that might be helpful in getting this update installed without the need for a complete reinstallation of the Operating System. Thank you.

:)

Jeremy Gamble, Dec 9, 2019
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Dec 9, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing

1. Windows Update 1903 Installation Failing - Similar Threads - Update 1903 Installation

2. 1903 Update fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1903 Update fail: I have been trying to update from w10 1803 to 1903 without success. I get to about 80% and then get the message could not configure one or more system components. I have tried various fixes like dism and sfc. I have tried to reinstall w10 from an iso download all goes well...
  3. Failed update 1903 install: 0x8007042b

Failed update 1903 install: 0x8007042b: Hello, I've been trying intermittently since 9/2019 to update to 1903. Been through the assistant, media creation tool etc, nothing works. SFC comes up clean. Hoping someone here can take a look at the logs and see something I don't. Panther and rollback logs can be...
  4. Failed to install Windows 10 update 1903

Failed to install Windows 10 update 1903: I get this message code when Windows 10 Update 1903 failed: 0x80240034 Is there a work around for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-install-windows-10-update-1903/4e641bf4-b753-4e6f-8c27-6c069e473437
  5. Windows 10 update 1809 /1903 fails to install

Windows 10 update 1809 /1903 fails to install: 0x8007042b (this is for 1809) Yes I have tried all ways to get this to install and it will not install, clean boot, ren software distribution, sfc, dism, latest stack, everthing! recommended and will not install. No third party antivirus. This is pretty annoying. OS Name...
  6. Failed to Install 1903

Failed to Install 1903: I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when Microsoft offered the free upgrades and have never had any Windows Update issues until now... running 64 bit. Timeline: 1. Using Windows Update I tried updating to 1903 a couple of days ago and it failed to install...
  7. 1903 update keeps failing to install

1903 update keeps failing to install: after its downloaded it install than restarts starts loading then is just stuck on loading screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1903-update-keeps-failing-to-install/0203a6de-4376-4242-97d0-5665a00160ff
  8. I loaded Windows Update 1903 and it fails to install

I loaded Windows Update 1903 and it fails to install: I loaded Windows Update 1903 and told it to install. 1st time it got to 47% and froze. It turned off the wifi, there was no HD activity and there it sat with 47% and the swirly dots stopped in mid swirl. I killed it, rebooted it, let it roll back and tried again. This...
  9. Win 10 update 1903 fails to install

Win 10 update 1903 fails to install: Hello everyone. I tried to install this update four times in different ways and it failed, failed, failed and failed to install. This is the error and brief explanation I'm getting: 0x80070005 - 0x2000A The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during...
  10. Windows installation has failed (1903)

Windows installation has failed (1903): will windows require i rocket science to upgrade a windows from now on, i used MediaCreationTool1903 to upgrade as an update will not come up through the update services center like the last 4 or 5 updates. every update windows manage to come up with new means to teach their...