Windows 10: Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and...

Discus and support Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The problems, immediately after the update: My user folder, C:\Users\NH was originally empty except for an un-hidden AppData folder that eventually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by N. H., Mar 26, 2020.

1. N. H. Win User

Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and...

The problems, immediately after the update:

• My user folder, C:\Users\NH was originally empty except for an un-hidden AppData folder that eventually leads to C:\Users\NH\AppData\Local\Temp, which has five files in it:
      WMZuneComm.etl.001
      WMZuneComm.etl.002
      WMZuneComm.etl.003
      WMZuneComm.etl.004
      WMZuneComm.etl.005
    • C:\Users\NH.000 is either a new folder or it used to be C:\Users\NH and was renamed, and it appeared to have all of my old files.
    • All browser extensions and settings were broken which I later discovered could be "fixed" by moving the files from the hidden AppData folder in C:\Users\NH.000 to the un-hidden one in C:\Users\NH
    • System restore points from before the update are all gone
    • Saving files to C:\Users\NH requires administrative permissions, which I still apparently have, but it means that I can't do it directly from programs like Word or an IDE. If I want something in the C:\Users\NH folder, I have to save it somewhere else and then move it, so the operating system can ask me to grant administrator permissions. Most annoyingly, not being able to save things in C:\Users\NH prevents me from putting programming files and functions where they need to go to be discovered on the path.

Steps I've tried:

• Restarted my computer several times
    • Uninstalled the parts of the update that I was allowed to the security update could not be uninstalled
    • Attempted to revert to a system restore point all of them are gone except one that was apparently created once the update was installed. I reverted to that one after trying to uninstall the updates.
    • I copied all my files from C:\Users\NH.000 to an external hard drive to back them up. Then I tried to move them to C:\Users\NH, which required administrative permissions. Most of the files were moved successfully. Some could not be moved. File explorer stopped and said they couldn't be moved because they were open or in use by "system," I think. I opted to "skip" those files and therefore didn't see what all of them were but a few were python executables, like python3.exe or python.exe.

Several other users who had this folder renaming issue mentioned something about Zune, which is installed on my computer and looks somehow connected to those files remaining in C:\Users\NH, but I didn't find anything that seemed to apply to my case in those questions.

I have found similar questions asked for both previous Windows updates and the 1909 update, but was unable to solve my issues with them. Usually the accepted answer is by Greg Carmack with a list of steps but it seems like the problem he's providing a solution to is different from what I have. I never received an error that said "We can't sign into your account" and Windows gives no indication that anything is corrupted. My files aren't missing, but some of them cannot be moved back to C:\Users\NH. I appear to have administrator permissions, so I don't think I need to create a new account. Restoring my system to a previous restore point does not work because my system does not have any restore points prior to installing the update. So many of the steps don't seem to apply, but I tried several of them anyway. I'm asking this question because I'm afraid if I continue doing things like creating new administrator accounts or temporary accounts or accessing the hidden administrator account, I will make things worse and not be able to get my computer back to how it was before.

Thanks!

:)

N. H., Mar 26, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 26, 2020
  3. Changing name of User-folder in C:

Hi Kelly,

When you create a new user account in windows 10, it will not give you the option to pick the name of the folder, instead a new folder will be created automatically in
    C:\Users\(user-name)" folder's name.

Now you just have to copy all of the contents of your old user accounts "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders into the corresponding new account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and...

Changing name of User-folder in C:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately, you cannot change the "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder's name. Instead, you can create a new administrator account with the name you want, then copy all of the contents of your old user accounts "C:\Users\(user-name)"
    user folders into the corresponding new account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" user folders.

After everything checks out ok, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and...

1. Windows update 1909 changed my user folder name from C:\Users\NH to C:\Users\NH.000, and... - Similar Threads - update 1909 changed

2. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  3. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  4. c:\Users\name change

c:\Users\name change: In my Users directory my name is a number, 19728, shown as C:\Users\19728. When I transfer files in other programs the number shows and I need it to be my name. How can I change this to be:C:\Users\Dennis ???Please let me know, Dennis...
  5. c:\Users\name change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    c:\Users\name change: In my Users directory my name is a number, 19728, shown as C:\Users\19728. When I transfer files in other programs the number shows and I need it to be my name. How can I change this to be:C:\Users\Dennis ???Please let me know, Dennis...
  6. c:\Users\name change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  8. Changing c:/Users/Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing c:/Users/Name: I've seen a guide here about how to change my folder name in my local disk. The guide was very helpful! It worked, but once I changed the name of my user file, when I restarted my pc, there was no personal data left, it was like I did a format but it only got rid of...
  9. Change the folder name of my User inside C Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the folder name of my User inside C Drive: I want to change the user folder name from Atul Gaur to atul. Because of the space between the name I am experiencing many issues in installing many different things. I have Windows 10 Home installed on my computer. Please help me with this problem. How can I rename it?...
  10. C/Users/*name* change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    C/Users/*name* change: I got this new W10 computer and the guy that set it up for me put in 'owner' as the default name, it's what shows up when booting. If I change the name to something that I would rather have, does it affect all the things under the /User/owner/.... folders, so that some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sustem wmzunecomm etl

2. WMZuneComm.etl.001