Windows 10: Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem

Discus and support Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey So ever since Feature Update 2004 started rolling out, I've had numerous failed attempts at actually updating Windows. The first time it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotACreativeUserName, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem

Hey

So ever since Feature Update 2004 started rolling out, I've had numerous failed attempts at actually updating Windows.

The first time it was Kaspersky Internet Security, and well, I removed it, but by then Windows Update didn't show me any pending updates.

The next time I couldn't figure out the error, i remembered the stop code then and I searched this community for answers and I basically went by the solution which involved restarting some of the services like bits, cryptsvc etc etc please don't come at me if I've typed it wrong here, I just have horrible memory but then again the prompt to Windows Update was gone so nothing really happened then either.

This last week I again had failed Windows Updates for the above two mentioned reasons, and well again the prompt is now gone, so i don't know what to do.

Does anyone have a proper fix for thiswhich preferably doesn't involve a clean install, coz I don't have any backup options ? I'm willing to pull out the stop codes I've faced earlier if that helps.

:)

NotACreativeUserName, Aug 23, 2020
  2. TC-man Win User

Windows Update keeps failing!

Hi,

I had once a similar issue like yours, i.e. not able to update Windows 7. What I did to solve the problems is:

- go to control panel, then to "Troubleshouting" > "System and Security" > "Fix problems with Windows update" > click "Advanced" > choose "Apply repairs automatically".

And Windows will start detecting the issues and will repair "Windows update components". The problems should be fixed now, close the program, restart the PC, and see if the mentioned steps have fixed the problems you mentioned.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck!

TC-man, Aug 23, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Aug 23, 2020
  4. Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem

windows update 2004 updates fix

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to update your PC to Windows 10 2004 build. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the make and model of the PC?
    • What is the KB number of the update that is failing?
    • What is the error code and message from the Windows Update history? (Press
      Windows + I key to open Settings > Click on
      Updates & Security
      > Select Windows Updates > Click on
      View update history
      > click on the error)
    • Do you have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/security program installed?

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly,
    Please help us with the screenshot of the
    Process
    tab in Task Manager and System information
    page (Press Windows + R key and type msinfo32, click OK) for further investigation. (Please follow the steps mentioned in the
    screenshot posted
    by Shawn ‘Cmdr’ Keene on Oct 2, 2015 to post the screenshots.) Do not share any personal information in the screenshots.

Let us try few steps and try to update after performing each step.

Step 1:
    Run Windows Updates Troubleshooter:

Select the Start Menu button, and then select Settings>Update & Security
    > Troubleshoot, and then from the list select Windows updates > Run the troubleshooter.

Step 2:
    Reset Windows Update Components

We would suggest you to refer the steps as mention in this article:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Step 3:
    Software and Hardware clean boot

Put the PC in software clean boot, refer the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    . A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

Note: After you finish troubleshooting, follow the section
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to reset the computer to start normally.

Steps to perform hardware clean boot.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run
      . Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run
    2. In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit
      Enter.
    3. Now expand the Display adapters,
      Printers
      , Sound, video and game controllers.
    4. Now right click on the listed devices inside the section and click on
      Disable.
    5. If asked for restart click on restart later.
    6. Close the device manager window and then restart the PC.

You may also, refer the suggestion in the article: Troubleshoot problems
    updating Windows 10

Note: Do not try the step mention in the article "Perform a clean installation of Windows 10"

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem

1. Windows Update 2004 fails again, nothing seems to be fixing the problem - Similar Threads - Update 2004 fails

2. Autoscrolling and nothing seems to fix it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoscrolling and nothing seems to fix it: Since last night, my computer suddenly started to autoscroll on anypage it's on. Even programs such as Word and Chrome. Nothing I do has helped fix the problem and I have uninstalled my mouse, uninstalled windows update and reinstalled it, check for any driver update and even...
  3. Autoscrolling and nothing seems to fix it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoscrolling and nothing seems to fix it: Since last night, my computer suddenly started to autoscroll on anypage it's on. Even programs such as Word and Chrome. Nothing I do has helped fix the problem and I have uninstalled my mouse, uninstalled windows update and reinstalled it, check for any driver update and even...
  4. Autoscrolling and nothing seems to fix it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it: hello my name is tom and i am looking for help here since i cannot get it from microsoft support after many, many, failed attempts. Sometimes they try but its like it hurts their pride to escalate the issue to someone that can maybe provide more insight. And most of the time...
  6. windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it

windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it: hello my name is tom and i am looking for help here since i cannot get it from microsoft support after many, many, failed attempts. Sometimes they try but its like it hurts their pride to escalate the issue to someone that can maybe provide more insight. And most of the time...
  7. windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  9. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  10. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Gaming