Windows 10: Windows update 20H2 Problem

Discus and support Windows update 20H2 Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Once I install the update 20H2 onto my computer I can get to the lock screen, but once I log in there is nothing but a black screen - and my cursor -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aktaujames, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Windows update 20H2 Problem

Once I install the update 20H2 onto my computer I can get to the lock screen, but once I log in there is nothing but a black screen - and my cursor - no GUI. However, I can use Ctrl Alt Delete to get to task manager - from which I can use CMD to open any apps I want to use. I have reattempted this update three times now, but to no avail. I then have to uninstall the update by booting from a recovery drive. From there, I attempt to uninstall the latest feature update but this always produces an error code so instead I have to use a system restore point. This is frustrating as it resets some of my settings such as graphics settings in Nvidia Console.

After I uninstall the update, I have to quickly go into settings and pause Windows update otherwise it automatically tries to install the update 20H2 again - which loops me back round to the problem and wastes my time.

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Home

CPU: Intel i7-7700k

Motherboard: Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080

If any more information is needed please let me know.

Thanks for your help and hopefully this problem will be fixed in the near future.

:)

aktaujames, Dec 22, 2020

2. Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Dec 22, 2020
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Some Feature Update 20H2 problems

A friend contacted me about some issues he's having after the 20H2 update.
    • Windows Live Mail now asks for a password when it opens
    • Not playing nice with Outlook and his Apple calendar...("we don’t recognize the files")

I told him to restore a disk image (hopefully he did that before the update). But now wondering if there might be a relatively easy fix.

Also, if you uninstall the update, will that correct these kinds of problems, or would he just be spinning his wheels? (The option to Roll Back is greyed out in the 20H2 settings, probably because of the Enablement Package type install)

4. NE5
    NE5 Win User

Windows update 20H2 Problem

Problem with Windows 10 update

interesting, I think we will be holding fire on that particular update for a while yet then.

If it doesn't affect anything else, I'll start with what zbook says, it will have to be in stages though. Tonight I'll run the RAM check, and hopefully tomorrow I'll check all drives (check what exactly ?), and backup important files (what files are those, do you mean photos, mp3, personal files etc ?) . I've got plenty of flash drives, but I'll get the first 3 steps done first.

Thema:

Windows update 20H2 Problem

1. Windows update 20H2 Problem - Similar Threads - update 20H2 Problem

2. Upgrading to 20h2, problems with Windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to 20h2, problems with Windows updates: I have some Windows 10 machines which are not updating via the normal Windows update screen. I have had this problem before when the pc was still running 1909. So I updated the machine to 20h2, which seemed to fix it. But not this time.I had no issues with the upgrade to 20h2...
  3. Problems in Windows 10 20H2 update

Problems in Windows 10 20H2 update: [ATTACH]Hi, I'm a user of Windows. I'm updating my Windows 10 PC from Version 1909 to 20H2, but it's stuck at 96%. Please Help me... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-in-windows-10-20h2-update/986885b8-1e20-4592-a235-45e3529a4fed
  4. Problems after updating to 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems after updating to 20H2: Hi all, I've been having many issues with my Windows account after updating to 20H2. Right after installing the update I noticed that Chrome was considerably slower (took a couple of seconds just to load the home screen), so I reversed the update to the last one. However,...
  5. microphone problem on 20H2 update

microphone problem on 20H2 update: i already tried the 20H2 update, when i update my laptop, the microphone doesn't work, i thought that my headset is broken, but when i try it on may phone, it working as usual, so i try it without my headset, then i still can't use my microphone, so i reinstall the previous...
  6. Window Update 20H2 VirtualBox Problem

Window Update 20H2 VirtualBox Problem: Hello, I am currently updating 20H2 but running into technical difficulties when comes to installing it. It is prompting that I have to manually uninstall VirtualBox but I have no recollection of ever downloading it. My attempts to fix were to restart my computer and...
  7. Problems with the update of 20H2

Problems with the update of 20H2: I can't install Bitdefender because of a Windows problem. Is there any way to roll back to a version of Windows 10 before the update of 20H2? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-with-the-update-of-20h2/d02c12be-93cb-41ee-afb0-5577b7b7da8b
  8. Print problems after Windows 20H2 update

Print problems after Windows 20H2 update: I have a HP laserjet P1102w wireless printer which was printing fine before the update but now I cannot print at all even to PDF. I have a HP laserjet P1102w printer which worked fine wirelessly or with cable before the update yesterday but now I cannot print at all even to...
  9. Problem with windows 10 20h2 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with windows 10 20h2 update: After installing the latest version of Windows 10, I had so many problems. Some keys of my laptop are not working on the other hand, in every browser, I can't type anything on the address bar because it opens random tabs and which is very frustrating. I can't even watch a...
  10. Problems after update to 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems after update to 20H2: Hi all! Ever since I updated my Windows 10 to 20H2 version, I experience two problems that bug me quite a lot: every time the computer is restarted or turned on, I need to sign in to Skype every time after turning the computer on, all my network drives ask to put in...