Windows 10: Windows Update and driver installation/update problems

Discus and support Windows Update and driver installation/update problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Note: I am on the Skip Ahead branch of WIP, but I'm quite sure my problem is in no way related to this. Greetings, I have recently found myself in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Damiano Magrini, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Windows Update and driver installation/update problems

Note: I am on the Skip Ahead branch of WIP, but I'm quite sure my problem is in no way related to this.

Greetings,

I have recently found myself in quite an unfortunate situation: by (I admit) playing around a bit too much with Revo Uninstaller, I have probably ended up deleting some files and Windows registry entries that I should not have touched, also doing something to the GPU drivers, apparently partially uninstalling them.

In fact, just a couple of days ago, I found some programs warning me that my GPU (AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Series, in case you were wandering) drivers were too old. So, I decided to try and uninstall them, so as to make a clean install of an updated version. As I tried to reinstall them, however, it failed, throwing a generic error. I then also noticed that I had several updates pending in the Settings app (many driver updates & build 18885) all of which failed with the error code 0x800703f9 just after completing the "Installing" phase. To my surprise, I found that SFC /SCANNOW threw the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operations." after reaching 34%. Also, upon inserting a USB flash drive, I found out that it was not recognized by Windows. Finally, just to try, I attempted to update some old drivers, and, maybe unsurprisingly, this failed as well.

I have since architected and put into practice some possible solutions, and also tried doing some research online, but with no luck. These are all the solutions I have tried to date:

• Deleting $WINDOWS.~BT
    • Resetting Windows Update
    • Attempting to downgrade with WIP Slow Ring Media Creation Tool, but it said it would have deleted all files (as files can only be kept when upgrading, and I was – and currently am – on build 18875)
    • Attempting to update to the latest build through an installer image downloaded through UUP dump - failed at ~50%
    • Trying to uninstall the GPU drivers completely with CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller (have I not learned anything yet?) and Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter, but failing
    • CHKDSK /R – this solution actually fixed SFC, but… (see next "solution")
    • SFC /SCANNOW and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth – they both ran to completion, but didn't actually solve anything
    • Manually uninstalling and upgrading USB flash drive drivers from Device Manager, which actually got a USB flash drive working, but made me discover that Windows no longer installs drivers automatically
    • Trying to cautiously remove the GPU drivers by hand, but I found drivers folder to be messier than I had thought and I didn't really fancy causing any other damage; also, this problem seems to have escalated well over just some half-installed drivers, so I quickly gave up on this idea

And, yes, I have tried turning it off and back on .

I do know that an easy solution would be to just reinstall Windows completely, and who cares if I lose my programs, I can reinstall them later. But I'd rather spend another two days looking for other solutions than a week reinstalling programs.

So, to conclude, here is a summary of my current issues:

• My GPU is not recognized as such: in Device Manager, it is located in the "Other devices" category; also, upon trying to update its driver and choosing its correct driver from the ones available on my computer (from there it appears that it is installed) the error "The system cannot find the file specified" prevents me from setting it as the GPU driver
    • Trying to install/update any driver fails
    • Windows does not automatically install drivers for new devices such as USB flash drives
    • Every Windows update that I attempt to do from the Settings app results in the error code 0x800703f9 as soon as it has finished installing
    • System updates made from downloaded installer images just fail

Thank you so much for having had the patience to read up to this point,

Damiano

P.S.: I actually need to render a couple of short videos within next Monday, which would unbearable without a working GPU. So, if I receive no response within a couple of days, I'll probably just end up reinstalling Windows altogether. Bummer.

:)

Damiano Magrini, Apr 29, 2019

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Apr 29, 2019
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Windows Update and driver installation/update problems

Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update and driver installation/update problems

1. Windows Update and driver installation/update problems - Similar Threads - Update driver installation

2. Installation problems for drivers in Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation problems for drivers in Windows Update: So I have an HP printer at my house. Ever since the first time I plugged it in, I got an update message from Windows Update. The update will download but it will not install. For those who don't know the difference saying politely, download means copying files from a server...
  3. Installation problems for drivers in Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation problems for drivers in Windows Update: So I have an HP printer at my house. Ever since the first time I plugged it in, I got an update message from Windows Update. The update will download but it will not install. For those who don't know the difference saying politely, download means copying files from a server...
  4. problem with drivers, windows update. Installation error: 0x800703f1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with drivers, windows update. Installation error: 0x800703f1: I'm having issue with my HP laptop.i installed windows 11 few days ago. I have some issue with my mouse pad and touchscreen because sometimes it's not working, which is fine for me. However, since yesterday I have problem with my device which when I try to update it gives me...
  5. problem with drivers, windows update. Installation error: 0x800703f1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with drivers, windows update. Installation error: 0x800703f1: I'm having issue with my HP laptop.i installed windows 11 few days ago. I have some issue with my mouse pad and touchscreen because sometimes it's not working, which is fine for me. However, since yesterday I have problem with my device which when I try to update it gives me...
  6. 2004 Update, Problem with Intel driver update installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2004 Update, Problem with Intel driver update installation: I have installed the 2004 update and now get the following message 'A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install.' The Intel driver, version 26.20.100.7325 it is trying to install was already loaded with the...
  7. Problems With Installing/Updating Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems With Installing/Updating Graphics Driver: I’ve had issues for months, have performed severa clean installs of Windows 10. Bought seperate software to install the drivers. Nothing is resovling this. Just one example is my Graphics Driver. Windows attempts to install the driver it finds online. Then tells me: Install...
  8. Problems installing driver updates

Problems installing driver updates: Cannot install Intel Rapid Storage or Intel Management Engine components updates. Below is what happens when I try to install them. Any help greatly appreciated. Hope I have this in correct area. 114817
  9. Problems installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problems installing driver updates: Cannot install Intel Rapid Storage or Intel Management Engine components updates. Below is what happens when I try to install them. Any help greatly appreciated. Hope I have this in correct area. 114817
  10. Windows Update not installing drivers

Windows Update not installing drivers: So I just performed a clean install and after running windows update it failed to install some drivers. Not sure which drivers I need now since I thought windows is supposed to install the right ones on its own. [img] [img] [img] [img] 15890