Windows 10: Windows Update and Microsoft Login only seem to work with a proxy now?

Discus and support Windows Update and Microsoft Login only seem to work with a proxy now? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I set up my computer a while ago to tether with my phone and run over a proxy running on the phone. This works really great. My problem is if I either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zosxavius, Apr 15, 2021.

1. zosxavius Win User

Windows Update and Microsoft Login only seem to work with a proxy now?

I set up my computer a while ago to tether with my phone and run over a proxy running on the phone. This works really great.

My problem is if I either A just ignore the proxy or B connect to another network without a proxy server and turn off the proxy in Windows settings, Windows Update and the Microsoft login don't seem to work. I can use all my apps and Chrome just fine and everything seems to have a working TCP/IP stack except windows itself which honestly makes no sense. I just reinstalled for like the 3rd time and while I could get system update working ok without a proxy server, adding a microsoft login to my account failed no matter what and the internet connection troubleshooter would also fail. Connect to my phone and turn the proxy back on in windows' settings and voila it works just fine.

What am I possibly missing? I went through my TCP/IP settings and did a hard network reset and nothing seems to help. Tried turning off my firewall. Created a new profile to make sure it wasn't just profile corruption. Ran SFC and DISM to make sure my install was valid. I'm really at a loss of what to do here. At least I finally figured out it was the proxy setting that magically made everything work, but connecting to just a regular Wifi network and turning if off just leads to endless frustration. The only manual TCP/IP setting I had was DNS pegged at 8.8.8.8 and turning that back to automatic of course did nothing. I can ping google and browse the web. The store loads. So universal apps seem to have ok connectivity.

I mean I can just use this laptop forever tethered to my phone I guess but it would be nice to at least figure out what's going on. Only other thing I can think of that is weird is that my TTL is set to 65, but that shouldn't really hurt anything. Why would windows applications have full access to the internet but not the system itself? Its almost like it thinks there is still a proxy even when I have it turned off. I feel like there is a setting or something I'm missing here.

:)

zosxavius, Apr 15, 2021
  2. dcf-joe Win User

Proxy Server?

When I was in high school, I used this website. It is a website that lists working proxies, updated daily. If you choose the right ones, you can actually successfully watch youtube videos through the proxy!

dcf-joe, Apr 15, 2021
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Proxy Server?

bah, this site is blocked.

4. malware Win User

Microsoft Prepares Update for Windows Home Server

Microsoft's Windows Home Server officially launched earlier this month, is already preparing to be updated. Microsoft says that the new update is "part of the ongoing process of continually enhancing the customer experience with Windows Home Server." The update includes a few feature additions for Windows Home Server. Currently, users who login to their server when away from their home network - through an external URL like https://yourname.homeserver.com - are greeted with a security warning. The November 27 update will now provide users with a trusted SSL certificate for their Windows Home Severs. The SSL certification was provided with the help of Windows Live Domains and GoDaddy. Other new features include a "Delete All" button to remove home computer backups. Microsoft has also taken steps to make the Shared Folders and Server Storage aspects of Windows Home Server more robust and user friendly.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Update and Microsoft Login only seem to work with a proxy now? - Similar Threads - Update Microsoft Login

2. Microsoft store with proxy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store with proxy: I'm using the proxy setup script and I don't proxy any microsoft server's traffic. But when I just enable the proxy, the microsoft store says "Page could not be loaded. Please try again later." and the error code is 0x80131500. Also not worked with Manual proxy setupBut when...
  3. Microsoft store with proxy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store with proxy: I'm using the proxy setup script and I don't proxy any microsoft server's traffic. But when I just enable the proxy, the microsoft store says "Page could not be loaded. Please try again later." and the error code is 0x80131500. Also not worked with Manual proxy setupBut when...
  4. Windows update seems to be not working at all.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update seems to be not working at all.: Windows update cannot be started. And the windows update settings are not working.Reply if you think you have the fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-seems-to-be-not-working-at-all/ec1cd6e1-56af-4033-a512-667c664f1e9e
  5. Windows update seems to be not working at all.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update seems to be not working at all.: Windows update cannot be started. And the windows update settings are not working.Reply if you think you have the fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-seems-to-be-not-working-at-all/ec1cd6e1-56af-4033-a512-667c664f1e9e
  6. proxy do not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    proxy do not work: So, I suppose after installation of widecap, any system proxy stopped workingincluding widecap I've tried to spoof traffic via alot of spoffers, but none of them seem to work. Also proxy settings, which are accessible via control panel, stopped working as well....
  7. windows updates fail for months now it seems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows updates fail for months now it seems: Updates download, appear to be installing. Then fail.. Defender updates are ok Message "your device is missing important quality and security fixes" How do I repair this and continue to accurately update win 10 operating system?...
  8. Windows Update 2.8.2019 now nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 2.8.2019 now nothing seems to work: It seems that since a windows update on the 2nd August 019 nothing seems to work properly. I can't even get the screen to activate printing. The software I use for invoicing freezes up which I try to print. Microsoft word freeze. Everything was working fine - should I restore...
  9. Update does not seem to be working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update does not seem to be working: Did a clean install a couple weeks ago (Win 10 Pro 64bit v1709, build 16299.309). However, every time I check for updates I get 'you are up to date'. However, my wife's 10 Pro (same version and build) has updated several time since December and is currently installing...
  10. BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD every now and then, seems to happen only during games: Hey! I've bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, and also use it for mild gaming. However, every now and the it reboots and I find a minidump using BlueScreenView. On average, there's one BSOD a week and it seems to happen during games. I didn't happen when I first started...