Windows 10: Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903.

Discus and support Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I've been testing the Version 1903 builds on about a half dozen PCs (all upgrades from 1809) over the past month or so, and am having a strange... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jim Harle (O365), May 21, 2019.

1. Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903.

Hello!

I've been testing the Version 1903 builds on about a half dozen PCs (all upgrades from 1809) over the past month or so, and am having a strange problem on only one of them. I've found something curious, and wanted to post it in case anyone has seen this happen before, or can give me any insight.

My problem PC is having two problems - it cannot connect to Windows Update, and it cannot download apps/updates from the Microsoft Store.

For Windows Update, the message is "Error encountered - We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet."

For the Microsoft Store, the error code is 0x80072EFE, which is a generic "connection aborted" condition.

Initially, I researched these errors individually, trying various "fixes" for each. For the Windows Update problem, I ran the troubleshooter (which finds nothing), did some netsh reset commands/reboots, and performed another in-place upgrade, among other things. For the Microsoft Store problem, I ran the troubleshooter, performed a "wsreset," and other things which I don't remember now. The bottom line is, none of these things solved the problem.

Next, I associated the PC with a WSUS instance I administer as part of my day job, via a VPN. Pointed to that, Windows Update functions and is happy, but any checks to Microsoft "directly" result in the same failures.

Over the weekend, I decided to run a Wireshark packet capture, in an effort to determine what was happening during the WU checks and the MS Store downloads. I was able to trace what is happening, and the symptom is the same for both problems.

There is a specific Microsoft endpoint, slscr.update.microsoft.com [13.78.168.230], which the PC connects to when checking for Windows Updates or MS Store downloads. However, on my problem PC, after it sends a TLS 1.2 "Client Hello," the 13.78.168.230 endpoint immediately responds with a TCP reset, which kills the connection (basically "hangs up" on me). After many attempts (each subsequent resulting in the same TCP reset), my PC gives up, and I get the error message.

If I block outbound traffic to 13.78.168.230 with the Windows firewall, the error messages change to "check your Internet connection" messages, with the MS Store error changing to 0x00072EFD ("Check your Internet connection - We couldn't connect you to the service).

I've had a look at the other "good" PCs (one of which is on the same network as the problem one), and those communicate with 13.78.168.230 just fine after the TLS 1.2 "Client Hello," getting back a "Server Hello" and continuing on with the network conversation normally.

It is a mystery why this specific PC is getting the TCP resets from that MS endpoint. I'm also at a loss on what to try next...if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thank you for reading!

* * Modified Title from: Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on W10 version 1903, RC through 18362.113 (so far)

* * Moved from Insider

:)

Jim Harle (O365), May 21, 2019
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Download Windows 10 TH/RS

@Drone : No link for 17134.5?

The April 2018 Update will be available as a free download beginning Monday, April 30.
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-of-your-time-with-the-new-windows-10-update/

According to this link and whether or not these have been Insider Preview Builds as @FordGT90Concept contends, I found this link: https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-redstone4-rs4-changelog/

Windows 10 Build 10.0.17134 Changelog:​Build 17134 was the 23rd Insider Preview build of Windows 10 released after Fall Creators Update. It was released on April 16, 2018. This new build arrived via new "RS4" (RedStone4) development branch.
    • Bug fixes and general improvements

jsfitz54, May 21, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Download Windows 10 TH/RS

Time to upgrade:

Microsoft Windows 10 Spring Creators Update (version 1803 aka RS4, build 17133.1) (March 2018) is out. Download links in the OP. (less than 3 GB)

Drone, May 21, 2019
  4. Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903.

Windows 10 Creators Update Available for Download

Even though the awaited Creators Update for Windows 10 is only set to arrive on April 11th, users who want to get ahead of the launch - and maybe themselves - can now update their version of Windows. Through the Windows 10 Update Assistant, Microsoft has made it possible for users to update to the latest version of windows ahead of time. After downloading and running the tool from Microsoft's website, it should display that Build 15063 is available - the official build number for the Creators Update.

The most awaited feature for the upcoming Windows update should be the Game Mode, though Beam live-streaming (which some say is better than Twitch) from the Game Bar, a PiP (picture-in-picture) mode for streaming videos while working on those pesky Excel budget .xlxs, and improved privacy settings (which aren't at the same level as the special edition built for the chinese market, though.) Microsoft's Edge is also seeing performance and security improvements, and Windows will now integrate a night mode that reduces blue light emissions - and thus the strain in your old eye globes. You can now also lock your Windows 10 PC at a distance through Windows Hello on your smartphone of choice, and can partake on some crazy Paint marathons with its improved 3D tool, which should elevate it to new, never before seen heights - maybe in the next update you can use the new Paint with Mixed-Reality products?

Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903. 21ff7f0d4bea_thm.jpg

Source: Tom's Hardware
    Source: Microsoft Blogs

Raevenlord, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903.

1. Windows Update and Microsoft Store downloads failing on Windows 10, build version 1903. - Similar Threads - Update Microsoft Store

2. Windows 10 update Version 1803 to Version 1903 failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update Version 1803 to Version 1903 failed: Hi Please advise how I can update my Windows version I have been trying for months to update my HP Windows 10 computer from Version 1803 to Version 1903 and get a failed to install error every time I do the update. I have disabled my firewall and Antivirus. The Feature...
  3. Windows 10 Version 1903 fails to update

Windows 10 Version 1903 fails to update: I scheduled a call for MS tech support last Friday, I have her access to my pc & mousse sharing the screen, went through some steps and didn't work. She suggested arranging another call using the same case number but she kept asking for my email so I decided to ask the...
  4. Window Version 1903 Failed to Update

Window Version 1903 Failed to Update: Have been tried to update with Widows 10 Update Asst. and a Windows.ISO dvd disk created by MediaCreationTool 1903. But boths are failed with error 0x80240034 and 0x80070714. My note book is running pre installed Windows and the current version is 1803 date 30 May 2018 OS...
  5. Failed to update Windows 10 version 1903

Failed to update Windows 10 version 1903: Update failed to install 9 times now it is not available What is the reason for that I tried every solution but it remains the same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-update-windows-10-version-1903/a6048652-eaae-4ef3-9f91-ba23693bda5d
  6. Update to windows 10 version 1903 fails

Update to windows 10 version 1903 fails: Have been unable to install the new Windows 10 version 1903. Keeps failing at “91% complete” and gives me a “Blue Screen” with a “Stop code: BAD POOL HEADER”. I have tried the following without any good results. 1) Force Windows 10 to Download the Update v1903 from...
  7. Failed to update to Windows 10 version 1903

Failed to update to Windows 10 version 1903: Hi, As the title said, I've been trying to update to version 1903, which has been available to my laptop since June, but it's constantly failing to install. The problems I encounter consistently - Update via windows update: the download process ALWAYS stuck at 99%, I...
  8. Failed Update to Windows 10 Version 1903

Failed Update to Windows 10 Version 1903: Hi, i've got multiple failures while trying to install the 1903 Update for Windows 10. When i write the WindowsUpdate.log-File, the answer is not very transparent for me. My current Version is 1809 with the Buildnumber 17763.652 And here is a snippet from my logfile. At...
  9. Windows 10 Version 1903 fail

Windows 10 Version 1903 fail: Hi! I need help, I click on the "Download and install now" and after it finishes it says that it failed, I have tried using the troubleshooter but it didn't help me....
  10. What build version is Windows 10 Update 1903?

What build version is Windows 10 Update 1903?: My Windows 10 Pro desktop shows "Build 17763.rs5_release.180914.1434" in the lower left corner. I finally got Windows 10 Feature update version 1903 installed after several tries. Windows update shows it as installed, and that my Windows installation is up-to-date. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft store downloads failing

2. 1903 update kills windows store

3. 1903 update removes windows store

4. (0x8007000e) w10 version 1903,
  5. windows store stop download windows 10 1903,
  6. download windows 10 build 1903