Windows 10: Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors

Discus and support Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About a week ago the internet (wifi) on my main PC (Win 10 64bit) stopped working. I could still connect to the router and it would show on the task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Asdf8900, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Asdf8900 Win User

Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors

About a week ago the internet (wifi) on my main PC (Win 10 64bit) stopped working. I could still connect to the router and it would show on the task bar as me having a stable internet connection, but nothing that required a connection would actually load. Thinking the issue could be related to my physical AC adapter I tried switching to a usb adapter instead, but I had exactly the same issue meaning that it must be software related. No other device in the building was having a similar issue so that ruled out a problem with the router.

After doing some research into possible causes I ran the network troubleshooter which suggested that a windows update file was corrupted. This was confirmed when I ran sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt and it came back saying that it had found corrupted files that it was unable to fix. After some more Googling I ran the DISM tool and this appeared to fix the issue - the next time I ran sfc /scannow it came back saying there was no problem. I assumed that this would be the end of it, but I found I was having exactly the same internet problems as before - no program that required an internet connection would load anything. Occasionally a page would half load, as if the data was getting through for a second or so and was then being cut off again. Network diagnostics started to report DNS errors so I did some research and tried basically every DNS related fix I could find and actually work out how to implement - I flushed the DNS cache, I updated the drivers on my AC adapter and my motherboard and I tried resetting my IP (I think I did that last one, to be honest at this point I've lost track of how many fixes I've attempted.) Nothing was making any difference - some of the fixes appeared to work immediately after performing them, but within an hour the problem would have returned.

Eventually in sheer frustration I reinstalled windows only to find that even this didn't actually fix the problem. Uninstalling my virus protection software temporarily appeared to have fixed the issue, but within a few hours the internet started acting up again, albeit with slightly different symptoms. I then also tried a network reset, not that I can see how that would accomplish anything that reinstalling the OS wouldn't, and indeed it didn't appear to do much. I'm now in a situation where the internet does now work most of the time but at a fraction of its former speed, and it still regularly just completely refuses to load anything at seemingly random intervals. I can only think that this whole incident was caused by a Windows update as the internet had been working perfectly on that machine for the previous eight months without any issues.

At this point I'm really not sure what else I can try. This is a work machine so it's a massive problem to not have functioning internet. Most of the time network diagnostics doesn't report any problems, even though the internet is clearly not working. When it does report it's generally some variety of DNS error, although I've even had one that said 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken', although how that can be true of wifi when the router is working I don't know. Does anyone have any idea what else I could do to try to fix this issue? Scouring the forums I've found other people reporting similar symptoms but nobody seems to have found a solution. It seems like Microsoft have updated Windows in such a way that it simply isn't compatible with my system anymore. I really need to find a solution to this.

:)

Asdf8900, Aug 18, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 18, 2019
  3. wabbles Win User
    When will the wifi connectivity problems be solved?

OK, so the Windows 10 engineers bollixed up the wifi connectivity part of the operating system. Everybody knows that by now. It seems they are making some progress in resolving it. Now, instead of seeing "Secured, No Internet" on your list of wifi connections, you see "Connected, Secured" EXCEPT no webpages will load. So you really aren't connected. It does seem to be a step in the right direction. Does anybody know when they plan on a full and complete repair of this screw up of epic proportions?

wabbles, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors

dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors

1. Windows Update appears to have completely broken my wifi connection - Constant DNS Errors - Similar Threads - Update appears completely

2. Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...: Hi all,I'm running a Win 11 laptop on the most recent version 23H2 at time of writing and I'm having issues with my laptop copying manual DNS settings I have for a single network to every other wifi network I connect to, preventing internet access.I have a pi-hole set up at...
  3. Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom DNS set for one wifi connection constantly copied over to other networks despite DNS...: Hi all,I'm running a Win 11 laptop on the most recent version 23H2 at time of writing and I'm having issues with my laptop copying manual DNS settings I have for a single network to every other wifi network I connect to, preventing internet access.I have a pi-hole set up at...
  4. DNS broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS broken: Was trying to upgrade our infra to windows 2022. We have 2012 forest settings and 2 DCs in one site and 1 DC in another. 2 2012 and 1 2019. I built amd added 2 2022 domain controllers to the infra and let them sit until I created a plan to move all roles and migrate dhcp and...
  5. DNS broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS broken: Was trying to upgrade our infra to windows 2022. We have 2012 forest settings and 2 DCs in one site and 1 DC in another. 2 2012 and 1 2019. I built amd added 2 2022 domain controllers to the infra and let them sit until I created a plan to move all roles and migrate dhcp and...
  6. My Microsoft appears to be completely broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Microsoft appears to be completely broken: Please help me. I have several problems with Microsoft: -Because I couldn't play any installed game and couldn't install any games on Xbox I deinstalled Xbox. -now I can't install or start any game in the Microsoft store so I can't even install Xbox again -I thought...
  7. WiFi completely broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi completely broken: Now I have no fucking clue what could be causing this, but my fucking WiFi just keeps losing connection and it says "No Internet". This is not an issue on my end, not at fucking all, so don't even suggest it, because on literally any Linux Distro I haven't encountered even a...
  8. My windows is completely broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My windows is completely broken: I have no strength left. Windows does not work at all. It is broken and unusable. Clean installs does not help because it is windows, not me I have 7 different PC's all with different versions and builds, same issues all across. Biggest issues is networking does not...
  9. constant dns error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    constant dns error: I have a brand new HP computer, it is windows 10 with EDGE.. I am having issues with getting connected to some websites, it says page needs to refresh or is giving me a DNS error code, I am currently overseas, and oddly have not had issues connecting to my bank or other...
  10. Windows Update is completely broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update is completely broken: I have an issue with Windows Update which makes the entire service unusable. When I open Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update, there is a blank screen and nothing more. Upon checking the Windows Update service, I saw it was disabled, so when I go to reenable it and start...