Windows 10: Windows update assistant completes but update fails after reboot

Discus and support Windows update assistant completes but update fails after reboot in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm running build 1903 and I have been trying to update for over 4 months now (can only try and update once maybe twice a month because I have very low... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by munchkins, Dec 13, 2020.

1. munchkins Win User

Windows update assistant completes but update fails after reboot

I'm running build 1903 and I have been trying to update for over 4 months now (can only try and update once maybe twice a month because I have very low monthly data limits).

I have gone through windows update which installs the normal updates fine but the feature update always fails. After 2 months of trying this I installed the windows update assistant which downloads the files for 20H2 and completes the process but after it goes through a reboot to finish off it asks me to choose a keyboard layout and goes to this screen. I pick continue because I'm not sure what to do at that point.

I should mention that for some reason the update assistant uses my second drive (D) to store the Windows10Upgrade folder instead of my C drive even though I have 68GB of free space on it. I also have full drive encryption (using Veracrypt) on the SSD that windows is installed on but D is not encrypted. On the boot priority list VeraCrypt is first in line so I can input the password for the ssd.

This is what I have done so far:
    Windows update troubleshooter (found and then fixed something)
    Ran sfc/scannow and dism-restore health (no issues here)
    Completely uninstalled Avira anti virus
    Updated BIOS
    Used dism /online /get-drivers /format:table > %userprofile%\downloads\drivers.txt and got these results

I downloaded and ran SeupDiag and these are the results:
    Matching Profile found: FindRollbackFailure - 3A43C9B5-05B3-4F7C-A955-88F991BB5A48
    SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0
    System Information:
    Machine Name = DESKTOP-I6I1NRS
    Manufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Model = GL503VM
    HostOSArchitecture = 2057
    FirmwareType = UEFI
    BiosReleaseDate = 20200716000000.000000+000
    BiosVendor = GL503VM.316
    BiosVersion = GL503VM.316
    HostOSVersion = 10.0.18362
    HostOSBuildString = 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202
    TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.621 (vb_release_svc_prod1.201014-1758)
    HostOSLanguageId =
    HostOSEdition = Core
    RegisteredAV = Windows Defender
    FilterDrivers = FileInfo
    UpgradeStartTime = 13/12/2020 13:44:08
    UpgradeEndTime = 13/12/2020 14:06:24
    UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:22:16
    CV = 9RytLXT4q0qAVVNU
    ReportId = dfc9c4bc-1149-4668-93e7-06b3a181ff39

Error: SetupDiag reports rollback failure found.
    Last Phase = Finalize
    Last Operation = Remove System Restore checkpoints
    Error = 0xC1900101-0x20017
    LogEntry:
    Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:
    Phase Name: Finalize
    Phase Started: 13/12/2020 14:06:11
    Phase Ended: 13/12/2020 14:06:18
    Phase Time Delta: 00:00:07
    Completed Successfully? True

Last Setup Operation:
    Operation Name: Remove System Restore checkpoints
    Operation Started: 13/12/2020 14:06:17
    Operation Ended: 13/12/2020 14:06:18
    Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:01.0000000
    Completed Successfully? True

Not sure what is happening but I really would like to solve this without a clean install so some help would be really great. Thanks!

:)

munchkins, Dec 13, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Dec 13, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 13, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. Windows update assistant completes but update fails after reboot - Similar Threads - update assistant completes

2. I was stuck in a bootloop after Windows Update Assistant completed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was stuck in a bootloop after Windows Update Assistant completed: I update my computer using windows 10 update assistant and just after my computer crashed and was stuck in a crash loop. I tried putting the iso of windows 10 but it was still stuck in a crash loop...
  3. I was stuck in a bootloop after Windows Update Assistant completed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I was stuck in a bootloop after Windows Update Assistant completed: I update my computer using windows 10 update assistant and just after my computer crashed and was stuck in a crash loop. I tried putting the iso of windows 10 but it was still stuck in a crash loop...
  4. Reboot loop after update fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot loop after update fail: Hello everybody ,I hope you are doing fine.It's been a couple of days and I can not go throught with my update. The system reboots again and again until it just undoes the changes....
  5. Reboot loop after update fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot loop after update fail: Hello everybody ,I hope you are doing fine.It's been a couple of days and I can not go throught with my update. The system reboots again and again until it just undoes the changes....
  6. Update Assistant completes without error, but after rebooting the machine is not updated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update Assistant completes without error, but after rebooting the machine is not updated.: I am in the process of updating company machines to 21H2, but I am finding that machines around 2004 or older are not wanting to update.It's not that they get any error or that the Update Assistant doesn't complete it's job. It's just that it flat out isn't updated after...
  7. Update Assistant completes without error, but after rebooting the machine is not updated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Assistant completes without error, but after rebooting the machine is not updated.: I am in the process of updating company machines to 21H2, but I am finding that machines around 2004 or older are not wanting to update.It's not that they get any error or that the Update Assistant doesn't complete it's job. It's just that it flat out isn't updated after...
  8. Update Assistant completes without error, but after rebooting the machine is not updated.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows update assistant completes but update fails after computer reboots.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update assistant completes but update fails after computer reboots.: I'm running build 1903 and I have been trying to update for over 4 months now (can only try and update once maybe twice a month because I have very low monthly data limits). I have gone through windows update which installs the normal updates fine but the feature update...
  10. Reboot loop after failed windows update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reboot loop after failed windows update.: My PC started an automatic update recently but it failed half way through and now it won't start up. After the windows logo appears the dots appear underneath and cycle for some time afterwards the screen goes blank then two screens reading 'attempting to recover your...