Windows 10: Windows update assistant problem

Discus and support Windows update assistant problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to upgrade to 1703 is proving impossible. I have used the built in Windows update to download and install the package twice, and each time it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pewe, Sep 27, 2017.

1. pewe Win User

Windows update assistant problem

Trying to upgrade to 1703 is proving impossible.
    I have used the built in Windows update to download and install the package twice, and each time it just goes in to a loop of downloading and installing.

When I run the windows update assistant to try and upgrade, that reports 'not enough disk space - although my laptop has more than 30 gb available on each internal drive.

Anyone any suggestions as to how and get over this???

:)

2. Problem with windows update using update assistant

Yes it worked fine....now its installing perfectly.

Thank you very much for the help.

AbhishekChoure, Sep 27, 2017
  3. Problem with windows update using update assistant

I tried installing the creator's update with the update assistant. The update got downloaded and was ready to install. I have Ubuntu 16.10 installed on my computer as well with grub2. On restarting the laptop to complete the update process, the laptop got
    stuck with a weird screen with dashed lines throughout it. After about 2 hours of waiting I had to force shutdown my laptop. The laptop then started normally with an information about windows reverting changes to the last windows build. What should I do in
    order to get creator's update without enrolling to the insider ring? Also how can I resolve/avoid this problem

Laptop details:

Model name: HP Probook 440 G2 with touch

OS: Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1607) Build 14393.953 / Ubuntu 16.10 64 bit (GRUB2)

Processor: Intel core i5 4210U

RAM: 8GB

Arkoprabho Chakraborti, Sep 27, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

30GB may seem like more than enough, but there are requirements for work files, saving your previous system and other factors involved. Try to clean your system as best as possible before you try the Update Assistant again. Follow this tutorial and use Option #2. Check off everything. Everything. Then post back how much room you have. Thanks. TC

Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

f14tomcat, Sep 27, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
  6. pewe Win User
    When I said more that 30GB I meant a lot more - this is what I have (copy of Disk Management).
    The last two columns are free space in GB and % on each drive.

Windows update assistant problem [​IMG]

7. pewe Win User
    OK - resolved the problem.
    Microsoft obviously don't know how to write code. *Mad
    Unusually my laptop has 3 drives. Even though the main and secondary drives had plenty of space, because the 3rd drive had very little the update would not install.
    Disabled the 3rd drive and all proceeded as it should.

pewe, Oct 3, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Win 10 not only needs space on C: but also unused space on your system disk for the other partitions it creates (different for UEFI and non-UEFI systems).

Check, using your partition manager, that you don't now have a system partition on any of your non-system disks. This can happen.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2017
  9. pewe Win User
    The 2 main drives (which had plenty of room) have other partitions ( three healthy recovery on one and two on the other) - but the disc that the update assistant had a problem with has none - so not sure why it even looked at that.

pewe, Oct 3, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Is there a recovery partition on your system disk at all (no drive letter)? It should be around 450-500Mb - slightly larger if your system is non-UEFI.

The Windows recovery partition really should be on your system disk. If not, this can cause problems when you upgrade to the next build.

Put another way, is there any unallocated space on your system disk?

Please post a screenshot of your partitions on all disks using Minitool Partition Wizard (not disk management), ensuring columns are wide enough to show all text.

E.g. my system partitions (UEFI)

dalchina, Oct 3, 2017
  11. pewe Win User

12. I think the issue could be because Disk2 "I" Partition is marked Active. Mark it as "None".

BTW, Disk3 appears to be a copy of Disk1. Not a good way to back up Disk1.

Comp Cmndo, Oct 3, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Recommended basic backup strategy:
    Use disk imaging routinely. a. For Windows (all system partitions) b. any other disks/partitions
    Create and store your images on an external storage medium.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

Having two disks that look like an OS is very likely to confuse certain repair operations and build upgrades.

Best to keep personal data off C:

Your system disk seems ok as regards its partitions.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update assistant problem - Similar Threads - update assistant problem

2. Windows Update assistant

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Update assistant: If I update my Windows 21H2 to 22H2 with Microsoft Windows Update Assistant, won't any of my personal data or applications be deleted? Those I have installed previously.See screenshot below:1. Screenshot2. Screenshot...
  3. windows 10 update assistant problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update assistant problem: when I tried to install 10 May 2021 update on Windows 10 Update Assistant suddenly the Windows 10 Update Assistant got stuck on 97% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-assistant-problem/efaffe8d-e3d5-40b3-a0b0-6179661a320a
  4. Windows update assistance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update assistance: So I am trying to install windows update assistance because I can’t download from Microsoft store .It is stuck now for 10 hours at 99% and I followed some steps to fix it .But when I restarted my pc it is now stuck for 40 minutes in getting windows ready .Is it because it is...
  5. windows 10 update assistant problem

windows 10 update assistant problem: I downloaded the windows 10 latest update through the windows update assistant as esd files But in last step it show me alert to remove the VirtualBox app . there is no any VirtualBox app in my pc. Because of that I cant install updates....
  6. windows update assistant problem

windows update assistant problem: hello I am trying to update from 1511 version with Windows update assistant. It is stuck in 99% updating section. It took too long if I used insider in this version, can I get Windows update update?...
  7. Windows Update Assistant Problems Win Update

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Update Assistant Problems Win Update: New Windows 10 Warning As Microsoft Confirms Windows Update Assistant Security Issue 142463
  8. Windows Update Assistant Problem

Windows Update Assistant Problem: Hellow sir , I was trying to update my window 10 from version 1803 to 1903 , after downloding all files by update Assistant , when Assistant try to install windows 10 setup fails , and assitent and setup both turned off, now what i do install downloaded files (Stored in my...
  9. windows update assistant

windows update assistant: 1)Is it safe to use windows update assistant to update my computer to the latest version? 2)Should I use this to update my computer to windows 1809 version from 1803 version even though I have not received the update automatically? 3)Will it affect my computer's working?...
  10. Problem of frequent occurence of Windows 10 Update assistant

Problem of frequent occurence of Windows 10 Update assistant: I am experiencing the problem of the frequent occurence of Windows 10 Update assistant. Even if I don't want, it installs on its own on my PC (Windows 10). I would be greatful to anyone who helps me solves this problem. Looking forward for anyone's reply.... System info: OS...