Windows 10: Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can...

Discus and support Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yesterday, my 32-bit, Windows Home Premium decided to update. I saw it when it had the whirling dots and a message that it was 42% done. I let it run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 3-Wheel DriveEly, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can...

Yesterday, my 32-bit, Windows Home Premium decided to update. I saw it when it had the whirling dots and a message that it was 42% done. I let it run all day. It never got past 42. I powered it off and restarted it. Now it only boots to Windows PE, and I can only run the command prompt. Here's what I tried and what happens:

Reset: There was a problem resetting your PC...

Startup Repair: Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC

Startup Settings: 4 Safe Mode, Preparing Automatic Repair, Your PC did not start correctly. Also tried turning off driver enforcement and early-launch anti-malware. Same results.

Uninstall Updates: Quality & Features... We ran into a problem...

System Restore: There are 2 restore points. Neither can be selected because Status is You must enable system protection on this drive.

Command Prompt: It's the only thing that works and I tried some things with it to no success...

chkdsk /f/r/x: Completes without finding any errors, but says "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50" I checked with diskpart, drive is not read only.

sfc /scannow: Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I tried starting system restore from the command prompt after restarting VSS shadow services like...

net stop vss

net start vss

Then renaming "software" and "system" files in c:\windows\system32\config and starting restore like...

rstrui /offline:c:\windows=active

The above actually grinded on the disk "Restoring files..." for a good long time and finally said it couldn't do it. I was really hopeful.

I can:

navigate drive C

copy from the console to a text file

delete & type files

Drive C: looks good, everything seems to be there.

I'm a a loss. Does anyone know any logs I could look in to see what's failing? Any other suggestions?

:)

3-Wheel DriveEly, Oct 19, 2020
  2. Winuser Win User

Networking in Safemode

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the adapter and it didn't work. I tried another suggestion I found doing a search. They suggested to click on the Network Icon before booting in to Safemode and connecting to the adapter. The only thing listed was Airplane mode. I guess Windows 10 will not initialize a wireless adapter in Safemode.

Winuser, Oct 19, 2020
  3. Winuser Win User
    Networking in Safemode

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I have tried all the suggestions posted. When I try to access the wireless adapter before booting in to Safemode the only thing listed is Airplane mode. I'm guessing either Asus or MS doesn't want me to use wireless networking in Safemode.

Winuser, Oct 19, 2020
  4. xnox202 Win User

Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can...

Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

Thing is, I could not boot into safemode. Is there a way to system restore by using recovery console?

xnox202, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can...

1. Windows Update Ate My Computer. Can't boot, restore, safemode, reset, or unupdate. Can... - Similar Threads - Update Ate Computer

2. Unable to boot into windows normally. Can boot into safemode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot into windows normally. Can boot into safemode with networking: Hi,Due to some faulty Ram which has now been replaced i have a windows install that is unable to boot correctly.I Can boot into Safemode with networking using the auto recovery menu.I've tried using system restore points which have all failed.I've also tried removing the GPU...
  3. Unable to boot into windows normally. Can boot into safemode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot into windows normally. Can boot into safemode with networking: Hi,Due to some faulty Ram which has now been replaced i have a windows install that is unable to boot correctly.I Can boot into Safemode with networking using the auto recovery menu.I've tried using system restore points which have all failed.I've also tried removing the GPU...
  4. Unable to boot into windows normally. Can boot into safemode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10: Every time I boot the computer into safemode and I have tried multiple ways, using Win + X and then the drop down menu, Win + I, anything to get to that startup settings page I just get a black screen. The computer is still on, the monitor is off because the green light turns...
  6. Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10

Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10: Every time I boot the computer into safemode and I have tried multiple ways, using Win + X and then the drop down menu, Win + I, anything to get to that startup settings page I just get a black screen. The computer is still on, the monitor is off because the green light turns...
  7. Unable to boot computer into safemode - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Stop Code PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED can't boot to safemode...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Code PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED can't boot to safemode...: My PC began giving me this stop code out of nowhere. I had not installed any hardware or software in months, I use this PC daily and it's completely up to date. I cannot preform startup repair, nor can I boot into safemode I am presented with the same stop code. I cannot...
  9. can't boot normally into windows 10 after using driver verifier but can boot into safemode...

can't boot normally into windows 10 after using driver verifier but can boot into safemode...: I used driver verifier and had BSOD a few times trying to boot, and now I can't boot in at all normally. I tried sfc/scannow and it said no integrity violations, I used dism.exe, and I tried using bootrec /fixboot,/fixmbr, and /rebuildbcd from a usb drive, and I don't think...
  10. Can't update, restore, reset my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't update, restore, reset my PC: Hi, My PC is in limbo and I have tried everything I know of to try and fix it. It started yesterday when my graphics drivers wanted to update. I ran the Radeon installer and it gave me a general error. So I tried a clean install using the Radeon clean up utility, no luck,...