Windows 10: Windows update bandwidth throttle not working

Discus and support Windows update bandwidth throttle not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; "Windows update > Advanced options > Delivery optimisation > Advanced options" supposedly allows the bandwidth to be limited for Windows update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShaunDolphin, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Windows update bandwidth throttle not working

"Windows update > Advanced options > Delivery optimisation > Advanced options" supposedly allows the bandwidth to be limited for Windows update downloads.

I have mine set to 50% as I only have 2mb bandwidth, which is slow at the best of times. Windows chooses to ignore this limit though, and hogs all 100% of my bandwidth until it has finished downloading updates.

That wouldn't be so bad if Windows actually had a sensible option like being able to set a download time window, but no, it always decides to start downloading updates at 8am, even though my computer is on 24/7!

Am I missing something here, or is this yet another half baked solution to a problem that could be solved by simply allowing the owner of the computer to decide what time downloads happen?

:)

ShaunDolphin, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Plankton Win User

Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning

Uncheck that box for limiting your bandwidth, then turn off "Allow downloads from other PC's" and check to see how your bandwidth works/reacts.

Plankton, Mar 11, 2020
  3. NinjaNife Win User
    IP Address Bandwidth Monitor

I am looking for a bandwidth monitor that tells me how much bandwidth each IP connected to my server is sending/receiving (preferably listed in Mbits). I currently have Netlimiter 2 Pro, but that only does bandwidth monitoring by process (it lists IPs but doesn't tell how much bandwidth each one is using). It would need to run on Windows Server 2003 and not have any web-based requirements (it is not a webserver so can't support a webpage-type monitor). Does anyone know how to do this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

NinjaNife, Mar 11, 2020
  4. tony359 Win User

Windows update bandwidth throttle not working

Update bandwidth optimisation - percentage meaning

Hi everybody

The new Fall Creator update brings the much awaited update bandwidth management but I have a question and I could not find an answer online.
    The control panel allows you to set a percentage of the bandwidth - percentage of what? How does Windows know my internet speed? I am concerned it just uses the network card speed instead.

Windows update bandwidth throttle not working [​IMG]

However in the activity monitor section it also shows an "average download speed (user initiated)" which suggests two things
    1. Windows actually knows the speed of the internet - which creates an interesting scenario: say my broadband is 50Mbit, Windows knows that and it is also told to use 50% of that. That night that my internet slows down to 20Mbit, will Windows try to use 25Mbit of it??

2. When updates are initiated by the user, they are not throttled down.

Windows update bandwidth throttle not working [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.
    Tony

tony359, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows update bandwidth throttle not working

1. Windows update bandwidth throttle not working - Similar Threads - update bandwidth throttle

2. Is bandwidth being throttled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is bandwidth being throttled?: Please excuse the formatting of the text. I couldn't fix it.My internet connection is very slow. I had an idea to search my files with Agent Ransack using the search "bandwidth" and found quite a few files in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\SmbShareThere's...
  3. Is bandwidth being throttled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is bandwidth being throttled?: Please excuse the formatting of the text. I couldn't fix it.My internet connection is very slow. I had an idea to search my files with Agent Ransack using the search "bandwidth" and found quite a few files in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\SmbShareThere's...
  4. Bandwidth Throttling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bandwidth Throttling: My internet connection has been really slow for a while now, and I get frequent disconnections while online. I use a wired Ethernet connection on a LAN network, and I use Google DNS servers. I don't know if that's relevant. My ISP is Earthlink, but when I run speed tests, my...
  5. Bandwidth Throttling

Bandwidth Throttling: My internet connection has been really slow for a while now, and I get frequent disconnections while online. I use a wired Ethernet connection on a LAN network, and I use Google DNS servers. I don't know if that's relevant. My ISP is Earthlink, but when I run speed tests, my...
  6. Windows throttling my Network Bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows throttling my Network Bandwidth: I currently have 1 GB fiber internet for both download and upload speeds. I have a dual boot partition on my desktop PC that is currently running both Windows 10 Version 21h1 OS Build 19043.1237 on one partition and Ubuntu Linux 18.04 on the other. Currently, my desktop PC...
  7. Windows throttling my Network Bandwidth

Windows throttling my Network Bandwidth: I currently have 1 GB fiber internet for both download and upload speeds. I have a dual boot partition on my desktop PC that is currently running both Windows 10 Version 21h1 OS Build 19043.1237 on one partition and Ubuntu Linux 18.04 on the other. Currently, my desktop PC...
  8. Windows throttling my Network Bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Windows 10 throttling download speed/limiting bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 throttling download speed/limiting bandwidth?: Just upgraded to a new laptop (Dell inspiron 7501, intel ax201 wireless card, OS build: 19042.867), and have been noticing significant throttling when downloading large files. E.g.: when I run speed test normally I see a download speed of ~80Mpbs. Just browsing the web or...
  10. any free bandwidth-throttling software?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    any free bandwidth-throttling software?: I'm about to start downloading the new flight simulator. I'm just looking for something simple to use to keep my PC from hogging all the bandwidth while my family watches hulu but all I can find are paid programs with free trials which I'm not really interested in submitted...