Windows 10: Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes...

Discus and support Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have bought a new HP Pavilion laptop. It work perfectly until a certain Windows Update is installed and then it breaks the Wifi service, Firewall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephen Culley, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes...

I have bought a new HP Pavilion laptop. It work perfectly until a certain Windows Update is installed and then it breaks the Wifi service, Firewall service, system forms fail to open when clicking some of the control panel icons and all search typing areas no longer accept keyboard nor and Cortana is completely broken. This is on a system fresh from reset that has been reset to manufactures settings that run perfect but break on forced updates.

I have had to reset to fix this three times in 10 days of buying. There is a major problem with update and only way to make sure machine works is to disable update. Windows 10 Home 1809, OS Build 17763.529

I have tried HP support they say problem is with updates.

Any solution to this as it means the laptop becomes useless... updates break it completely and disabling update is not a long term solution. If I want to update virus etc then instantly I will have a broken machine when it forces updates again.

Anyone have a solution?

:)

Stephen Culley, Jun 13, 2019

2. Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Help with the Windows Search Service failed

Hi,

Having some damaged system components is one of the possible causes why the services in the system are failing. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to your computer before this issue occurred?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest refreshing the Windows Search service. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R to pull-up the Run box.
    • In the Run box, type services.msc and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Services window, look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Stop.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Pull-up the Services window again.
    • Look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Start.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes...

Can't type in Cortana search box

Hi Brendon,

Is you keyboard working normally on other apps such as Notepad? If not, run the built in troubleshooter for your keyboard. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshoot in the Search box and press
      Enter.
    • Look for and run the Keyboard troubleshooter.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.
    In the mean time, we suggest that you refer to the link below for actions that you can perform to troubleshoot issues with the Start menu or Cortana:

Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rolando Vil, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes...

1. Windows Update breaking Wifi Service, Firewall service, Cortana, all search typing boxes... - Similar Threads - Update breaking Wifi

2. KB5012170 breaks windows update service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5012170 breaks windows update service: After applying the KB5012170 update windows update service stops working: Upon attempting update the system states: WIN 10 EDU 21H2: We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to...
  3. KB5012170 breaks windows update service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5012170 breaks windows update service: After applying the KB5012170 update windows update service stops working: Upon attempting update the system states: WIN 10 EDU 21H2: We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to...
  4. KB5012170 breaks windows update service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows firewall service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows firewall service: how to get rid of the following The package could not be installed because the windows firewall service in not running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-firewall-service/74651b07-c579-457d-b4b3-f252053e9319
  6. Missing service Windows Search, Cortana

in Cortana
    Missing service Windows Search, Cortana: Since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7, I had to upgrade to Windows 10. But my laptop is10 years old and it working very slowly. Now I'm using a light version of Windows 10 Enterprise, but Cortana has been removed from it, Windows Search also. When I press the Start...
  7. KB4517211 breaks cortana search box

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4517211 breaks cortana search box: Hi, KB4517211 solved my issue causing the start menu into critical error. However it still does not allow using the "cortana search box", or searching for any app. Anyone else having the same issue? The problem mentioned here got fixed:...
  8. Cortana search box

in Cortana
    Cortana search box: Hello, I reinstall Windows and have a problem with Cortana. Before I can choose three functions to show Cortana on the taskbar: Hidden, Show Cortana button and Show Cortana search box. Now I can choose only Show Cortana button after clicking right mouse button on the taskbar....
  9. Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work

in Cortana
    Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work: Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work. Tried quite a number of "fixes" online; none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-in-search-box-cortana-does-not-work/640dcbf5-0982-440b-ad5d-a31b4295684e"
  10. firewall services

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    firewall services: Latest build. Running ESET free. Anybody else got the same info showing, doesn't appear to be a problem thou. Roy 8925