Windows 10: Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall

Discus and support Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So after one of the updates from the past few days, keyboards no longer work on my computer. as soon as I restarted my computer to install an update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Buffythebuffbot, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall

So after one of the updates from the past few days, keyboards no longer work on my computer. as soon as I restarted my computer to install an update yesterday, my keyboard immediately stopped working.

There's nothing wrong with any of the 3 keyboards I attempted to use, they used to work on this machine before I updated and they still function on other machines perfectly The ports I am using function properly, I made sure to plug my keyboards into every port i had.

The keyboards are recognized by my computer as being plugged in and windows claims the drivers are installed every time I plug and unplug a keyboard, but they just don't register keystrokes. My key backlights work, so it's not a power issue.

I have even tried a Bluetooth keyboard and that also doesn't register keystrokes after it is connected. Every single keyboard I attach is labeled as "HID Keyboard device" in device manager. I have attempted uninstalling the drivers and manually reinstalling them also to no avail.

I have uninstalled as many of the updates as possible, but one of them (Kb4530684), refuses to uninstall and tells me "an error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled." That one update seems to be the update that broke keyboard functionality. I'm not sure what to do, I can't restore to a previous build that will allow me to use my keyboard again. I have attempted sfc scannow and gotten no errors with windows as well as having cc cleaner check my registry, but I still cannot uninstall the update, and so I have an unusable computer that won't accept keystrokes.

I would really prefer to not have to completely reinstall, and just want a usable computer again. Any help either fixing my keyboard functionality or uninstalling the offending update would be greatly appreciated.

Please excuse the formatting, I am forced to post on mobile.

submitted by /u/Buffythebuffbot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Buffythebuffbot, Feb 14, 2020

2. Keyboard does not function correctly

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the keyboard drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to uninstall the keyboard drivers:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the keyboard device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset and keyboard drivers.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Robbo123 Win User
    cant uninstall 3dmark06

Should do the job, if you cant uninstall it, just delete everything you can find via windows explorer, and if it refuses to go, use some fileshredding software like what you suggested above!

Robbo123, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall

Windows 10 function keys not working properly

Hi Brianna,

I suggest you to Uninstall and Reinstall the Keyboard Drivers and see if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall the Keyboard Drivers

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Keyboard from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove
      the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Step 2: Go to the Computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Keyboard and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall

1. Windows update broke keyboard functionality and refuses to uninstall - Similar Threads - update broke keyboard

2. Windows 10 update on 22h2 broke VPN functionality

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 update on 22h2 broke VPN functionality: Hello, my Windows 10 Pro laptop with version 22h2 had an automatic update this week that broke the built-in vpn functionality. Now when attempting to connect, I get the error: "the l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during...
  3. Windows 10 update on 22h2 broke VPN functionality

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update on 22h2 broke VPN functionality: Hello, my Windows 10 Pro laptop with version 22h2 had an automatic update this week that broke the built-in vpn functionality. Now when attempting to connect, I get the error: "the l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during...
  4. Windows 10 update on 22h2 broke VPN functionality

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop: My laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 700.I clicked the button to restart my laptop and an update started installing. Note: I didn't click the button "update and restart pc", I clicked the normal buttonAfter my pc restarted, I noticed there were things wrong.- When I try to...
  6. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop: My laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 700.I clicked the button to restart my laptop and an update started installing. Note: I didn't click the button "update and restart pc", I clicked the normal buttonAfter my pc restarted, I noticed there were things wrong.- When I try to...
  7. Windows update broke most of the functions of my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. App refusing to uninstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App refusing to uninstall: [ATTACH] Hey guys. I am trying to uninstall a VPN so that I can upgrade to a newer version of it so that I can connect to a client's system. Was told to wipe it and then just install the new version. Unfortunately I have tried almost everything I can think of to get rid of...
  9. keyboard broke

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard broke: I am a student who uses their computer daily, so I really need my keyboard to do its job. I have had problems with the key beside the o and above the semicolon=I literally can't type it. and every now and then my o doesn't work along with the 0,9,quotation marks,...
  10. Program refuses to be uninstalled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Program refuses to be uninstalled: Bitdefender (an anti-virus program) is giving me trouble. After running for a week it gave trouble (refused to accept my sign-in details and even a new attempt to register under new details). It refuses to run and it keeps in asking me to re-install it, which I do but I get...