Windows 10: Windows Update broke my Hard Drive

Discus and support Windows Update broke my Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I trusted my sister with my laptop when I was at school, I come home and she said it has been doing an update all day, so I plugged it and left it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexKing3, Sep 17, 2018.

1. AlexKing3 Win User

Windows Update broke my Hard Drive

I trusted my sister with my laptop when I was at school, I come home and she said it has been doing an update all day, so I plugged it and left it. I come back the next day and it is doing Disk Checking, left it 24 hours, still going, 48, still, a week, off. I turn it on and it comes up with the acer logo, then No Bootable Device. Just because of one update.

I fire up the install USB, made with Media Creation Tool on my Dad's Laptop, asks about partitioning, exclamation marks next to all partitions saying needs GPT scheme to install, I was like OK fired up DISKPART in the utilities and converted it to GPT, rebooted and it still wont install, tried Ubuntu, won't install and same with openSUSE Leap 15. I bought a new hard drive and installed openSUSE Leap 15, Ubuntu wouldn't work, and I don't have a windows key, just the copy with my laptop. I kept the old hard drive but I need Windows for school, I would have used Ubuntu or Linux Mint from day one otherwise.

Microsoft owes me a new hard drive and license

:)

AlexKing3, Sep 17, 2018
  2. little cat, Sep 17, 2018
  3. $immond$ Win User
    Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Windows Update broke my Hard Drive

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update broke my Hard Drive

1. Windows Update broke my Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Update broke Hard

2. Windows Forced an Update and Broke my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Forced an Update and Broke my External Hard Drive: When I shut down my laptop last night it forced an update without my say so as Windows updates love to do. When I turned it on today, I found I couldn't access File Explorer, it would immediately stop responding.At first I was freaking out because I thought Microsoft broke my...
  3. Windows Forced an Update and Broke my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Forced an Update and Broke my External Hard Drive: When I shut down my laptop last night it forced an update without my say so as Windows updates love to do. When I turned it on today, I found I couldn't access File Explorer, it would immediately stop responding.At first I was freaking out because I thought Microsoft broke my...
  4. Windows Forced an Update and Broke my External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I think my Hard Drive port broke, or whatever its called

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think my Hard Drive port broke, or whatever its called: I ran my laptop through a system test, or whatnot. and it told me my Hard Drive wasn't connected, at the time my pc refused to boot. So I assume that was the issue, I opened the slot, got rid of the dust. But it didn't work. I bought another Hard Drive thinking that was the...
  6. fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?: just noticed windows isn't activated. i've only had the pc for four days : in the middle of setting up a new pc, i got windows installed, then fitted a second hard drive with all my files on it. now windows is saying it isn't activated. i assume the "hardware change" is to...
  7. PC broke hard?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC broke hard?: So, I’ve deleted a partition used by GRUB, and now my PC won’t boot, instead it runs GRUB safe mode, making me stuck with the choice of either using my iPad or my friend’s PC. How can I fix this now? Would clearing the contents of all disks be enough? Or may I be stuck with...
  8. Windows Update Broke My Sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Broke My Sound: Windows did an update about a month ago. Ever since then, every time I boot up a game, the sound on my LCD TV that I have always used as a monitor, stops working. I can switch to my headphones in "select playback device" and the sound still works there. But in order to get...
  9. Windows update broke my DirectX9

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update broke my DirectX9: I updated to the latest update at the start of September and its overwritten my dxd9.dll with its updated version. As it was so long ago, I can't uninstall the update and go back to the old file. I've tried reinstalling DirectX to no success. I'm unable to play the games I...
  10. Latest update broke One Drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Latest update broke One Drive.: Since the latest update following the 1511 upgrade, my PC slowed to almost a standstill. After hours of detection, I found the culprit is One Drive, which seems never to stop trying upload files. The only solution was to unlink One Drive, which in effect makes it pretty...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update broke expansion drive

2. updates broke my harddrive