Windows 10: Windows update caused file loss

Discus and support Windows update caused file loss in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have updated my Win10 with the latest update which turned out to be a complete new build of the system KB4560960. The system didn´t just update but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Radek_H, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Radek_H Win User

Windows update caused file loss

I have updated my Win10 with the latest update which turned out to be a complete new build of the system KB4560960. The system didn´t just update but rather reinstaled itself. By doing so, I have lost all my bookmarks and open work in web browsers; all the files I had on my Desktop are nowhere to find; and I have also lost two years long archive of my work-related emails from Outlook which are already deleted from webmail server, which means they are lost for good as well...

The recovery option doesn´t work, since it demands to remove my account, which Windows doesn´t allow to remove. And uninstalling the update also doesn´t help, since I can only uninstall updates and this is a complete new build...

Well done, Microsoft!

:)

Radek_H, Jul 29, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 29, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Crucial Releases "000F" Firmware Update for M4 SSD, Enhances Power-Loss Protection

Crucial is known for issuing firmware updates for its M4 series SSDs that bring significant improvements, be it the 0009 update that introduced performance improvements by as much as 20%, or the 0309 update that fixed a lot of BSOD instability issues. Introduced on Wednesday, the newest firmware update, "000F", introduces the following changes:
    • Improved compatibility with certain SAS expanders and peripheral RAID cards.
    • Improved throughput stability under extremely heavy workloads.
    • Improved data protection in the event of unexpected, asynchronous power loss.
    With higher performance, improved OS-level stability, and now with higher throughput stability and improved data protection in the event of power loss, Crucial M4 is closer to being the perfect consumer SSD.

DOWNLOAD: Crucial M4 000F Firmware Update Windows 7 Updater Utility, Manual Boot File, Instructions

btarunr, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Windows update caused file loss

loss of microsoft store on update windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you face. I will certainly help you with this. I suggest you to follow the below given methods and check if it works.

Method 1:

Kindly follow the steps to reset Windows store cache and check if it works.

• Press Windows key + R key to open Run
    • Type wsreset.exe and press Enter

Method 2:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Method 3:

If issue persist, Kindly follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

Run these commands:

• Press Windows key + R and type Powershell in run and hit enter.
    • Type the following command in Powershell and hit enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows update caused file loss

1. Windows update caused file loss - Similar Threads - update caused file

2. Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does MBR2GPT cause data loss?: My computer fully supports UEFI and GPT. However, when I was installing Windows 10, I installed it with the combination of MBR+Legacy Fast, Secure Boot Off. My computer officially supports Windows 11. In the PC Health Check application, it was written that Secure Boot could...
  3. Constant updates cause huge loss of productivity

Constant updates cause huge loss of productivity: Is MS software working for me, or the other way around? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/constant-updates-cause-huge-loss-of-productivity/846173ee-0365-4ee2-9a4d-4c2390c2a9f8
  4. Will upgrading cause file loss

Will upgrading cause file loss: Will upgrading my 32 but oc to a 64 bit oc cause file loss! If not how to we do it safely. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-upgrading-cause-file-loss/b6e04044-8dd8-451a-bee8-e091cc46a089
  5. Update caused loss of documents, images, other data.

Update caused loss of documents, images, other data.: What have you done to my computer? For the fourth time in the last two months, Microsoft as done an update or something and when my computer restarts, all of the information and folders that I have created since the last update have been lost. As an example: I work in...
  6. Update Windows 10 caused loss of all files. How restore?

Update Windows 10 caused loss of all files. How restore?: My wife received a Microsoft pop-up announcing update. She accepted it and several hours later she found after the update ran she no longer has any files. How restore?...
  7. Update of Windows 10 and loss of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update of Windows 10 and loss of files: I have just up-dated Windows 10 and found that old photos were no longer on my PC. Have also today discovered that some of my older Files are no longer on the PC. Why? An update should not be deleting someone's personal files. How can this be rectified?...
  8. loss of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    loss of files: I restarted my computer to update Office files. When it came on all the software files I had on my task bar and all my document files were missing. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/loss-of-files/4d749705-a5e1-4e98-a634-f1ed679bbc62"
  9. file loss

file loss: so today I updated my pc to the latest version of Windows 10 (1809) I finish the update and all and then I try to login to my pc but when I enter my password it will show me a blue screen saying that there is an error i try a couple more times but I can't access my pc so I...
  10. 1803 KB4462933 Update Just Caused Loss of Files and Apps - Anyone Else

1803 KB4462933 Update Just Caused Loss of Files and Apps - Anyone Else: This is Weird - I thought this only happened with the 1809 upgrade. I left my computer for a few minutes and touched the keyboard to activate the screen when I came back. On activation, there was text on the screen suggesting than an indeterminate update was underway. When...