Windows 10: Windows update causes file wipe

Discus and support Windows update causes file wipe in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I updated a program on my laptop on Tuesday 4/14 which required a system restart. After an unusually long restart followed by an initial login error my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jaime Reed, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Windows update causes file wipe

I updated a program on my laptop on Tuesday 4/14 which required a system restart. After an unusually long restart followed by an initial login error my user profile was not recognized and a longer system load, I found that all of my documents, pictures and downloaded files are gone. I am unable to perform a recovery. I did run a System file check per other threads that recommended it with no success.

This afternoon, the same thing happened and I don't know why. I need to get my files back. Any suggestions?

:)

Jaime Reed, Apr 15, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Desboro Win User

Windows update causes file wipe

Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Dear Vijay,

Thank you for your response: apologies for slow feedback.

Regarding step 1 - doing a restore point : I tried this twice and twice it failed. Now, the date of the update that caused the issue (13/14 September 2019) has disappeared from the history list. Is there a way of finding it, still?

Regarding Step 2- the list of updates installed: the two suggestions above do not seem to appear in the list in the window "Installed Updates".

There are two updates listed for 13 September - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

Could you advise what I might try next?

Thank you so much.

Desboro, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows update causes file wipe

1. Windows update causes file wipe - Similar Threads - update causes file

2. WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?: This is incredbly frustrating!! My samsung laptop keeps self updating and then wiping the WHOLE system clean, all work files gone1 i can no longer use the stylus pen or open any apps !!!!why does it keep doing this ???i posponed updates and it still keeps doing this?!?!?!...
  3. WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS UPDATE AND WIPE?: This is incredbly frustrating!! My samsung laptop keeps self updating and then wiping the WHOLE system clean, all work files gone1 i can no longer use the stylus pen or open any apps !!!!why does it keep doing this ???i posponed updates and it still keeps doing this?!?!?!...
  4. Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update That Caused Corrupted Files.: Hi I recently just did a feature and quality update for Windows 10 that has my computer messed up. I tried all the common solutions. DISM, System Restore, Troubleshooters, Restarting Windows, etc. None worked. I get an error code or a message saying a file is corrupted or...
  5. Windows update wiped system

Windows update wiped system: I'm currently working on someone's computer and it looks like there was a Windows update that went wrong. When the computer was turned on it started the automatic repair which didn't succeed then came to the recovery page. I tried to run a system restore, but no restore...
  6. Files wiped

Files wiped: Woke up this mormkng to find my conpiter display looks totally different and all my files are wiped from tue computer. Program files seem to be there. Computer wont allow me tonrecover because itnsays the last update was back on Oct 10 2 weeks ago please help me get my...
  7. Windows update caused file loss

Windows update caused file loss: I have updated my Win10 with the latest update which turned out to be a complete new build of the system KB4560960. The system didn´t just update but rather reinstaled itself. By doing so, I have lost all my bookmarks and open work in web browsers; all the files I had on my...
  8. windows update wiped my personal files

windows update wiped my personal files: At midnight today, my windows 10 pro updated to os build 17763.648 When I logged on this morning at 5, all photos, documents and files were gone. All folders empty. Seems like Windows got reinstalled without keeping any of my important personal files.. I tried a restore...
  9. Windows update wipe out my manifest file in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update wipe out my manifest file in registry: Why does every windows update wipe out my manifest file in the registry? I have PhotoShop CS6 and a 4k display on my laptop, so I have to use a manifest file to set the screen resolution so I can see the writing. Each update wipes out the line in the registry. Have to put...
  10. Latest Update has wiped all files

Latest Update has wiped all files: After doing latest update on closing my desktop it seems all files have been wiped. After signing in I just get a black screen with only recycle bin on it and 1 or 2 on the taskbar at bottom of screen that don't do anything. Is there anyway to solve this have tried going back...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the update has wiped all my files

2. latest windows update wiped my desktop