Windows 10: Windows Update causes issues with dock today

Discus and support Windows Update causes issues with dock today in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Quick rundown: After updating windows this morning, one of my programs refuses to use my Nvidia GTX1050 card, only when hooked up to my dock. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mcurrier82, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Windows Update causes issues with dock today

Quick rundown: After updating windows this morning, one of my programs refuses to use my Nvidia GTX1050 card, only when hooked up to my dock. When the dock is unhooked, it opens just fine.

I have a Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 Pro, and I am using a J5 Create dock that I bought in November when my Surface Dock mysteriously stopped working after a Windows Update. I have had no issues until today immediately after another update.

The program is Chief Architect, and while I am using my dock to display to outside monitors, the program tells me that the video card I am using does not meet the software's minimum requirements. See image:

Windows Update causes issues with dock today fe9a3ee8-b1d5-4d54-9a49-9929cf298a4b?upload=true.png

Does not make sense as I have been using Chief on this Surface book for months, along with Revit and Autocad Both of which still work perfectly along with Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.

If I unplug the dock, I can open the program just fine. I can even then hook the dock back up and continue to use the program although with some scaling issues going from 200% to 100%

Things I have tried:

I have deleted what updates I could - This did not change anything.

Then I updated the video card straight from Nvidia - That did not change anything.

I tried to update the dock, but there was no updates available.

Through the Nvidia Control Panel, I have set Chief to only use the Nvidia card - This did not change anything.

Through Display Settings - Graphics Settings - Graphics performance preference, I have set Chief to use "High Performance - Nvidia GTX 1050" - This did not change anything.

I have bought a new J5 dock - This did not change anything.

At basically every step mentioned, I have restarted my machine to no avail.

I am extremely annoyed right now, and while I have a workaround I feel that this is the second time that an update has messed with my dock status. To the point that I am about to junk the Book and go back to a desktop, as Microsoft has not been able to provide any help other than providing me with a way to buy a refurbished unit at a reduced cost.

Anybody out there with some insight?

:)

Mcurrier82, Jan 29, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

HDD Docking

Hi Tonyo,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the docking station?

The computer docking connections located on the bottom of the computer vary between computer models. For the docking station to work properly, the docking posts, eject mechanisms, and electrical connections on the docking station must be compatible
    with the connections on your computer model.

Meanwhile, if the docking station is compatible, you may update the device drivers for your docking station and check if it works.

Update device drivers for docking station:

• Open the PC manufacturer support Web site, search for the
      Docking Station Driver for your PC model.
    • Install the driver suggested and check.

If the issue persists, update the BIOS and try connecting the Docking Station again.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Desboro Win User
    Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Dear Vijay,

Thank you for your response: apologies for slow feedback.

Regarding step 1 - doing a restore point : I tried this twice and twice it failed. Now, the date of the update that caused the issue (13/14 September 2019) has disappeared from the history list. Is there a way of finding it, still?

Regarding Step 2- the list of updates installed: the two suggestions above do not seem to appear in the list in the window "Installed Updates".

There are two updates listed for 13 September - Security Update for Adobe Flash Player and Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

Could you advise what I might try next?

Thank you so much.

Desboro, Jan 29, 2021
  4. jackin Win User

Windows Update causes issues with dock today

I cannot connect to home Wi-Fi off the docking station but not on docking station.

1. I cannot connect to home Wi-Fi off the docking station but not on docking station.
    2. When i'm on docking station system says i'm connected to home Wi-Fi, but when i browse says not connected.
    3. Other devices connected to home Wi-Fi has no issue.
    4. What steps can i take to resolve the issue other than updating Wi-Fi adapter driver?

jackin, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update causes issues with dock today

1. Windows Update causes issues with dock today - Similar Threads - Update causes issues

2. Computer Docking Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Docking Issue: I'm suddenly having difficulty accessing my applications when I dock my laptop to a monitor. I'm having difficulty accessing Teams and even my Excel is buggy and unusable when I am docked. This is happing on different docks. Please advise. Thanks!...
  3. Computer Docking Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Docking Issue: I'm suddenly having difficulty accessing my applications when I dock my laptop to a monitor. I'm having difficulty accessing Teams and even my Excel is buggy and unusable when I am docked. This is happing on different docks. Please advise. Thanks!...
  4. Surface Dock Monitor Issues after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Dock Monitor Issues after Windows 11 update: Hello, I have a Surface Pro 7 with a Surface Dock, I have a monitor plugged into the dock that worked fine on Windows 10.Now after updating to Windows 11 the dock will not display monitor.I have plugged another device into the monitor and that works fine.I have used the...
  5. Surface Dock Monitor Issues after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Dock Monitor Issues after Windows 11 update: Hello, I have a Surface Pro 7 with a Surface Dock, I have a monitor plugged into the dock that worked fine on Windows 10.Now after updating to Windows 11 the dock will not display monitor.I have plugged another device into the monitor and that works fine.I have used the...
  6. Dock issues with updated Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dock issues with updated Win 10: Good Morning,We have some laptops that have been updated with updates up to April 15 and since doing that we are having strange issues with Docks. We have updated all Dell firmware on the computer and tried a few different docks all having the same issues. Users' mouse will...
  7. Docking station issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Docking station issue: I connected a docking station and when i close my laptop the monitors close also. how do I use my keyboard and mouse when laptop is closed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/docking-station-issue/f18b0c39-e96f-4e79-941a-3cb3f1e6bd72
  8. Docking issue?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Docking issue?: Last week, I was having issues accessing my OneDrive. I had a computer technician come in and re-image my computer. The technician was able to fix the issue of my OneDrive, but what I noticed I had issues with my docking system. We downloaded the display link and that seemed...
  9. Get your motherboard's sound driver updates to fix audio issues caused by today's Windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Get your motherboard's sound driver updates to fix audio issues caused by today's Windows...: After today's Windows 10 update, my audio was completely gone. I have an ASUS motherboard. Luckily, downloading and installing the audio driver update from the ASUS site, the audio is back. Been with Windows since Version 2 and never seen this before....
  10. Windows update caused laptop issues!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update caused laptop issues!: Running Windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop. I left it to do a Windows update and shut down last night. Took 15 minutes to start up this morning and now my desktop icons have no text. No clock in taskbar. No text on or in any file folders. No ability to type into file search box....