Windows 10: Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC

Discus and support Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre PC with an Intel i7-2600, Nvidia GeForce GT 545, 16GB RAM, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Seagate HDD that I installed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EricMilward, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre PC with an Intel i7-2600, Nvidia GeForce GT 545, 16GB RAM, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB Seagate HDD that I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro 1909 and the most recent update causes the PC to freeze up when I open the Start menu or Settings program. Everything else about the PC is fine. At first I thought it was an issue with the GPU but no matter what drivers I use Microsoft or Nvidia, it still happens. Even after a fresh install without the GPU, using Intel's IGP. So then I thought it was my PSU since I was still using the stock Lenovo one. So I swapped it out for a 500W CoolMax PSU and it still happened. So I did a fresh install and then I noticed everything worked fine until I ran Windows update. Specifically, the very last update. With my GPU installed, it runs fine when I update the drivers. It runs fine when I do the first two rounds of updates. But when it does the very last the most recently released update, the issue occurs again. When I try to uninstall the update, an error occurs saying there was a problem. So I do a fresh install again it happens all over again. Everything is fine until I install the most recently released update. Is there any way to fix this?

:)

EricMilward, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Maria Fab Win User

Freeze or Malfuction Start menu Windows 10

Hello,

The possible causes of this issue are updates not being installed properly or corrupted system files. To determine its cause, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Were there any recent changes made on your PC prior to this?
    • Is your PC updated?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this article: Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu
    or Cortana
    . Click on Show all, and you'll be provided with different troubleshooting steps that you can follow to help resolve your concern.

Kindly update us with the results. We'll be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Maria Fab, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Start menu issue

yeah I've been less than happy with the start menu also.
    for me I for me I get freezes in start menu, especialy returning from sleep...which reminds me sleep is such a pain in the butt since I switch to Windows 10. Either waking up on its own, or system freezes when recovering from sleep

Stardock was a nice switch from vanilla, but i wasnt gonna buy it and 30 days goes by quick.

jboydgolfer, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC

Start menu and action center is not working in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Start menu?

• Are you not able to open Start menu?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to follow the step below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the latest updates and install.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter
      MS-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Start menu troubleshooter. After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC

1. Windows Update causes Start Menu to freeze PC - Similar Threads - Update causes Start

2. Windows updates causing freezes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates causing freezes?: Hello, this is not the first time I have run into this issue with my computer. Basically, my applications will freeze, or stutter for 5 or so seconds, this causes the game to crash sometimes and any audio to cut off. In the past I never knew what caused it and could only...
  3. Windows updates causing freezes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updates causing freezes?: Hello, this is not the first time I have run into this issue with my computer. Basically, my applications will freeze, or stutter for 5 or so seconds, this causes the game to crash sometimes and any audio to cut off. In the past I never knew what caused it and could only...
  4. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  5. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu freezes: The start menu freezes and its really pain I need to restart the computer since once it freeze the whole machine cant be access. I need hep on this. No updates pending on my machine so updates will not help. The only thing help is restarting the whole machine, but it is time...
  6. Start menu freezes

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Opening the Start Menu freezes PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening the Start Menu freezes PC: Hello, I recently started to face an issue on my windows 10, whenever i i open the start menu, i am unable to perform a search and after a few seconds, my system freezes. Same issue persists. Not sure what is causing this problem, can anyone please shed some light on...
  8. Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update to 1903 causes start menu and explorer issues: Greetings, I ran the update to bring my system up to version 1903 last night. As a result when windows starts I just get an empty screen - I do not see the start bar, I can not see any desktop icons, when I press the windows key nothing happens. I CAN access the task manager...
  9. Start Menu Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu Freeze: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. No incompatibilities were reported during that process and W10 worked fine on my primary user account. Several days after the install, I went to set up my wife's infrequently used second user. I got there...
  10. CldFlt causes PC to freeze when starting stream

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CldFlt causes PC to freeze when starting stream: Whenever I try to stream on the HBO Nordic website, my PC freezes and I have to hit the reset button. I've isolated the issue to the CldFlt driver, event ID 7000 in the event logger. On the linked thread below there are workarounds for similar issues (check the end of...