Windows 10: Windows Update causing dual monitors to rotate in continuous loop

Discus and support Windows Update causing dual monitors to rotate in continuous loop in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Last night one of the Windows (anniversary?) updates messed up the connection to my second monitor (which is a TV and only used to watch movies) and as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Spiritos, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Spiritos Win User

Windows Update causing dual monitors to rotate in continuous loop

Last night one of the Windows (anniversary?) updates messed up the connection to my second monitor (which is a TV and only used to watch movies) and as a result whenever I switch to it or even duplicate my screen it keeps hanging in a continuous flashing loop, either instantaneously or after 2-3 minutes.

I already tried rolling back to 4 different versions of the NVidia driver (from NVidia, not MS) since I had this problem before some months ago when I updated the NVidia driver from 362.00. Rolling back to that one solved the problem and later on -when trying a newer driver resulting in the same problem- I rolled back again without problem so I figured 362.00 was the last that worked proper for me so far.

A few weeks ago another MS Update messed up my (only) account -in effect needing me to login with my password while I only knew my PIN- and after 10 consecutive days of troubleshooting using every known method to reset accounts through cmd/regedit/seth.file, Hiren and Linux distros I had to do a complete restore. While restoring and reinstalling drivers my NVidia driver was automatically updated to 368.69 and everything was fine regarding a newer GPU driver. So that was at least 1% of luck after 99% drama. Now again a MS update messed up something since it also updated my GPU to 368.81 (I didn't know you could turn of GPU driver updates in MS Auto-update till just now) and I am seriously pissed since again, every "normal" troubleshooting so far has been fruitless. From now on I will turn off auto-update as MS is seriously making a mess of things in my specific case twice in a row now and it's costing me way too much time to repair every time.

Today when MS rolled out some updates I found rolling back did not work. I tried manually uninstalling it in devicemanager and also with the help of DD Uninstaller from Guru and in the end restored to 4 different dirvers and also tried a system restore prior to the MS Updates but both scenario's didn't work. Like with the "account" problem also today I have read some other threads about MS update messing up monitor settings but for most the common scenario's rolling back or a system restore seemed to work.

My setup is a NVidia GTX960 and I have my PC-monitor connected with a DVI-VGA cable and my TV is routed through a Home Cinema Receiver with HDMI. The TV is off most of the time and only when I want to watch a movie which is stored on my PC I use (Win key+P) to select the other monitor and switch. Prior to this I have to set my receiver to receive through a dedicated HDMI (PC) input. My TV btw. is always designated as my primairy screen, probably because it's HDMI but in practice this has never been a problem.

Furthermore I have a pretty high-end system with a Z-97Pro mobo/i4790K processor/16GB Ram so the problem is most certainly not with either my PC, TV or Home Cinema Set

So the problem varies a bit in manifestation, dependantely of randomness but also as for what method I choose to add the second screen (Win+P or Nvidia or configurationscreen). Most of the times as soon as I set my receiver to the PC "channel" the screen begins it's endless loop switching between the 2 monitors and this can only be stopped by setting the receiver to a different channel. Other times I can identify the TV manually but also then the screen switches, only in a slower interval (0,3, instead of 0,1 seconds) and once or twice I was able to set the proper channel on my receiver and the problems would not manifest until I actually switched the screen while in two instances the problem manifested after 2 or minutes (though this is not related to power or screensaver timers and one instance was when switching while the other was when duplicating. It's completely irradic but the common denomenator I think is, is Windows/NVidia recognizes my 2 screens as 1 (!). I say this because in NVidia properties I saw a "flashing" image of 2 monitors combined as 1 (as opposed to 2 individual screens) and the flickering and jumping from mouse indicates a resolution problem (my TV is 1920x1080 while my PC monitor is 1650x1080). My icons have always been scattered after using my TV but it is an annoyance I learned to live with since Win 7 as windows is notoriously known for having problems with 2 different resolutions.

Long post but I try to be conclusive. I'll continue looking for solutions myself but I can only try random things as de-installing/re-installing drivers and system restore aren't working for me so I have to reside to the proverbia "slap on the TV" scenario's and any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

UPDATE: Solved by using DDU (Guru3D) in Safe Mode to uninstall several driver versions until I found my system stable with version 368.69.

:)

Spiritos, Aug 10, 2016

2. monitors flip up down sisd by side

I don't have much dual monitor experience, but the usual fix is holding down the Ctrl & Alt keys and use the arrow keys to rotate it back.

Bruce Hagen, Aug 10, 2016
  3. JayATee Win User
    Windows 10 Stuck in Recovery

If someone could help me that would be fabulous.

Windows 10 went through an update. After the update finished loading, the system was no longer recognizing the sound drivers. I told the computer to revert to the previous version since everything was fine prior to the update. Now the machine is stuck in
    a recovery loop. It will not login to Windows and it will not allow me to get any further than the BIOS screen. It continuously loops, I'll get a flash on the monitor of the recovery screen and then it shuts down and starts the loop again.

JayATee, Aug 10, 2016
Thema:

Windows Update causing dual monitors to rotate in continuous loop

1. Windows Update causing dual monitors to rotate in continuous loop - Similar Threads - Update causing dual

2. Dual Monitors with the same wallpaper during rotation?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitors with the same wallpaper during rotation?: So I have Dual-Monitors and I started a folder of Wallpapers and I selected it. It only changed the left monitor wallpaper and the right side was still the old wallpaper. I had to right click and select next desktop wallpaper for it to change. However, what I ideally want is...
  3. 2n1 Rotation Lock with Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    2n1 Rotation Lock with Dual Monitors: I recently set up two View Sonic Monitors which I've been using along with my Dell Inspiron 5591 2n1. I can't seem to ungrey/access rotation lock to allow me to keep one of the View Sonic monitors rotated automatically. Any suggestions on how to do that? I imagine the...
  4. Dual monitor slideshow causing lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor slideshow causing lag: Windows stutters for a bit when wallpaper changes. Extremely irritating in games. I have slideshow enabled, which pulls wallpapers from a folder with ~100 wallpapers for both screens. I've searched the internet through and through, but wasn't able to find a fix. Wallpaper...
  5. Dual Monitors appear to be causing some gltiches.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitors appear to be causing some gltiches.: When my second monitor is unplugged my non-windows calendar will work although I'd like for it and everything to work without bugs with both monitors plugged in and no funky stuff. Sometimes, chess will show being open with the second plugged in and turned off, turn it on,...
  6. Dual Monitors appear to be causing some gltiches.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitors appear to be causing some gltiches.: When my second monitor is unplugged my non-windows calendar will work although I'd like for it and everything to work without bugs with both monitors plugged in and no funky stuff. Sometimes, chess will show being open with the second plugged in and turned off, turn it on,...
  7. Update causing continuous reboot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update causing continuous reboot loop: After installing the latest 10 update (which seemed huge and extra slow to dl) my PC is stuck continuously rebooting before desktop is reached. And before you ask again, No it doesn't reach desktop status & also No I shouldn't need/have to download windows from another...
  8. Dual Monitors not working with update

Dual Monitors not working with update: i was previously on windows 8.1 and i had my dual monitors working just fine, after i upgraded to windows 10 my second monitor (wired with hdmi) doesnt work but the one with Dvi does 7651
  9. dual monitors causing issues with each other

dual monitors causing issues with each other: so the issue im having is so very far beyond bizzare to me. i will try to give as much detail as possible though. i just recently installed windows 10 on a brand new SSD without any previous OS installed. i also just bought a new shiny 4K TV but am still using my Acer...
  10. Dual monitors causes crash

Dual monitors causes crash: Upgraded my system with 2x Dell U2415Q (run on GTX 970). When I have both moniters turned on and they go to sleep. Windows crashes when I try to wake them up (they are stuck in sleep mode and looking for signal). If I turn of either one of them 10166 (and all builds I...