Windows 10: Windows update changed computer and removed files

Discus and support Windows update changed computer and removed files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Computer just updated one drive i am running windows 10. the update changed desktop, removed files, reset browser information and i can not restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jackpattillo, May 2, 2020.

1. Windows update changed computer and removed files

Computer just updated one drive i am running windows 10. the update changed desktop, removed files, reset browser information and i can not restore my computer because it is greyed out now. I did have restore points but not now. I don't like changing my computer so I can't recover if I don't like the changes without a complete reset back to faqctory

Jack Pattillo

:)

jackpattillo, May 2, 2020

2. how to completely remove windows

This was from windows help

brandonwh64, May 2, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, May 2, 2020
  4. deving Win User

Windows update changed computer and removed files

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows update changed computer and removed files

1. Windows update changed computer and removed files - Similar Threads - update changed computer

2. Windows removes programs and changes settings after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows removes programs and changes settings after update: I just updated my computer and much like every other time, my background and other personalization options have been reset. And even more concerning, windows changed some of my privacy settings by allowing microsoft to collect additional diagnostics data and enabling...
  3. Windows Computer ID Changes with Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Computer ID Changes with Update: I need to use software Materialise Magics with this current computer and the license is tied to the Computer ID. Over the last week, the computer ID has changed twice Usually after a restart, preventing me from using this software. To fix this, I need to contact the software...
  4. Windows 10 Update Removing Files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Update Removing Files?: I updated my PC a while back, after it finished "cleaning up", random files from my PC have been deleted, mainly items in%appdata% and %localappdata% It's starting to be extremely annoying and I'm not sure of the cause of this. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro Version 2004. All...
  5. Sudden remove/change of .exe file location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden remove/change of .exe file location: Recently this problem occured when i turn my pc on and it showed that some of my application shortcuts were not working because the .exe file has been removed or changes to a new location although i didnt do any such thing. Then i clicked "fix it" the shortcut is fixed in no...
  6. A windows update removed/changed my accounts, and my files (mostly photos) are locked such...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A windows update removed/changed my accounts, and my files (mostly photos) are locked such...: My account taskbar was set back to its original state, but my desktop still has some pre-update programs and local printer is present. And I can only locate my photos through the folders users/account/windows diagnostics 8.1 . The photos are there but “locked”. Any ideas to...
  7. Remove administrator, change administrator and computer designation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove administrator, change administrator and computer designation: Two years ago when I purchased a new computer and set it up under my name I uploaded the skype app, which in the process changed my computer identification email address to a false name I used for restaurant reviews. I have not been able to change it back, and Microsoft uses...
  8. Removing leftover windows update file?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Removing leftover windows update file?: Yesterday i clean windows update file from system setting > storage > Free up space. Because this already in the middle of the night and the progress take too long also i think its stuck in "purging: windows update cleanup" status so i turn off my pc and continue tomorrow....
  9. Removing leftover windows update file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing leftover windows update file?: Yesterday i clean windows update file from system setting > storage > Free up space. Because this already in the middle of the night and the progress take too long also i think its stuck in "purging: windows update cleanup" status so i turn off my pc and continue tomorrow....
  10. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...