Windows 10: Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user

Discus and support Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but as of the latest update my laptop's one and only profile is suddenly "[user] Local" instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DigitalUnity, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but as of the latest update my laptop's one and only profile is suddenly "[user] Local" instead of the account I had before the update, and it's using a different email address than the one I had formerly hitched it up to. This is all kinds of bizarre and disconcerting, is there a way to put it back without losing my desktop?

:)

DigitalUnity, Mar 16, 2021
  2. gs99 Win User

User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • Users
    • Windows
    Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

3. gs99 Win User
    User folders in root C: drive

I entered the "netplwiz" and the dialog shows my email address as the only User.

Groups shows Administrators; Users

I don't remember signing in as Administrator. Is this a security problem, me doing things as Administrator, not knowing it? In this case it makes a difference with adding a folder. What other things am I doing that may be questionable?

How do I sign in as a user only?

But when I choose New folder in root of C, it does it, with no message. The new folder exists in same group as Program Files.

If there's a good reason Microsoft wants root of C reserved for non-user stuff, why don't they explain that where it's needed?

Does the message to the user say that adding a folder there is not safe for the computer, or any kind of negative result?

An advantage for a path in "root of C" in applications, is that it's a simpler, shorter path.

If the data file is within a user path, what if another user needs to run the application? In my case, there's only one user, but when there's multiple users, wouldn't you need another copy of the data file, e.g.an Excel file?

4. Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user

Removal Of old user

Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user [​IMG]
    When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated

eborhermit, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user

1. Windows update changed root user, removed old root user, and attached old desktop to new user - Similar Threads - update changed root

2. New user, old computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New user, old computer: I just upgraded an existing hp pavilion laptop to windows 11 in preparation to handing it over to a new employee. how do I remove the old employee into lock screen and MS account?...
  3. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  4. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard, old User: My old Motherboard broke, i recently got a new one and added another boot up drive, turning my original one into storage, i wanted to keep my original User as it contains my passwords and my Windows 10 License, but i don;t know how.Is there a way to regain my original User??...
  5. New Motherboard, old User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Restore old windows user folder into new user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore old windows user folder into new user: My computer is connected to a domain, and my user got deleted somehow. My company had to create a new user for me, and i wanted to know if it's possible to restore my old user folder into my new windows user. I tried to look on the web, and i only found ways to change the...
  7. Removing an old user folder

Removing an old user folder: Hi all, I had to re-install Windows 10 & it created a username folder "roysq" My old one was "roysquires" I have managed to create a new one, but cannot delete the old one "roysqu." If I delete the folder it just returns. I have tried Regedit / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINNE >...
  8. Unknown user ? in Windows root

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown user ? in Windows root: Hello, I have had a problem with a nasty virus on my computer a month ago and had it fixed by re-installing Windows 10 and resetting my computer completely. Now I seem to be having some of the same problems before I got completely shut out of my computer and I noticed...
  9. Removal Of old user

Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445
  10. Removal Of old user

in Windows 10 Support
    Removal Of old user: [img] When i try to remove this old user I get this but no indications how to do it all help great fully appreciated 133445