Windows 10: Windows Update changed system location?

Discus and support Windows Update changed system location? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded yesterday's update 10/06/21 and had my PC shut down afterwards. Today I tried to access a stream on BBC iPlayer, but it said I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lukebarnes554, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Windows Update changed system location?

I downloaded yesterday's update 10/06/21 and had my PC shut down afterwards. Today I tried to access a stream on BBC iPlayer, but it said I couldn't because of my location.I have Speedtest on my PC and that is showing the same as it always does. Whenever I go onto a browser and do it, it comes up with Maidenhead. I can't access the stream on any of the 5 browsers I use because of my location, and I've ensured my VPNs are off, in the browser and for the system. I can access it on my phone which is on the same network, and this has only happened since the update, should I roll it back? Is this

:)

lukebarnes554, Jun 11, 2021

2. Can’t change the location.

Hi George,

I am sorry to hear that you had to encounter an internet connection issue in Windows 10 before. You can always come to us for any issues on Windows 10, we will be glad to help you.

Let us see what to do to resolve this issue on location settings. TO assist you better, please answer the questions below.

• Where did you see your location as Vermont USA? How did you tried to change the location?

• Are you getting any error messages while changing the location?

• What is the build version of the Windows? Follow the below steps to check the build version.

• Open up the run command with the
      Win key + R key combo.

• Type winver into the run command text box and hit
      OK.

• You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

I suggest you to ON the location service and check if the location is changed to your current location. If the location service is ON, the Windows will automatically find your location once the system in connected to internet and update
    the location on the Apps, which has the permission to access to the location. Refer to the below link to ON the location service and more.

Windows 10 location service and privacy

You may also change your Country or region manually by the following steps;

• In the search box on task bar, enter Change region, then select
      Change your country or region.

• Under Country or region, select your new region.

Hope you can change your location.

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jun 11, 2021
  3. Windows 10 update change location

Hello,

I would be happy to assist you.

Whenever Windows updates website scans and install any updates or patches, it gets stored on the below location.

%windir%\softwaredistribution\download

Depending upon the updates different folders gets created on the above location.

For clearing the contents of the software distribution folder, try the below commands on the elevated command prompt in Windows.

net stop wuauserv

rmdir %windir%\softwaredistribution /s /q

net start wuauserv

exit

Also, the above location is set by default and cannot be changes or modified.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to refer to the below link written by one of our MVPs,
    Andre Da Costa, and check if it helps.

How to free up disk space in Windows

The Windows Update remnants can be manually purged via running Disk Cleanup, if you use.

Next, try to remove/uninstall any unwanted programs in Windows.

Use the following steps to remove programs from your computer:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

• On the Programs and Features screen, select the software program you want to remove from the list and click
      Uninstall or Uninstall/Change at the top of the program list.

If it still does not help, adjust the System Restore settings to recover some space.

Use the following steps to reduce the space System Restore uses for restore points.

• In Windows, search for and open System.

• Click System Protection in the tasks pane on the left.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• On the System Protection tab of the System Properties window, click Configure.

• To reduce the amount of hard drive space the system reserves for system restores, slide the
      Max Usage slider bar. You can choose more or less depending on how many restore points you want and the capacity of your hard drive.

Write to us with the updated status for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 11, 2021
  4. Windows Update changed system location?

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update changed system location?

1. Windows Update changed system location? - Similar Threads - Update changed system

2. Location will not change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location will not change: I endeavored to update the location on my new computer, but the map will not display to set a default location and I also am locked out of the Microsoft store. How can I repair this and update my location? I am being blocked from so many sites because of it....
  3. Location will not change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location will not change: I endeavored to update the location on my new computer, but the map will not display to set a default location and I also am locked out of the Microsoft store. How can I repair this and update my location? I am being blocked from so many sites because of it....
  4. i can not change the location of a file system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i can not change the location of a file system: Hello my problem is that i can not change the location of the file system [Download] and i tried everything i will sent you some captures of the problem....
  5. Windows - changing location

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows - changing location: Hello! Recently, a friend of mine reinstalled windows 10 home on my laptop. He only formatted partition C, but my games were still uninstalled. The only problem I have is with Forza Horizon 4. It is bought and when tried to install it on my D drive, but it won t let me select...
  6. Taskbar and Windows changing location after system wake

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar and Windows changing location after system wake: I just got a new monitor, after getting it set up every time that i walk away from my computer and monitors go into standby and timeout. When i return the the taskbar and windows i had open from before the monitors timed out are all in different location and on different...
  7. Changed system folder location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed system folder location in Windows 10: I have a system folder called Movies that appears in My PC. This folder was a folder named F:\Movies. I have moved this folder to a new larger drive, so the system folder in My PC no longer points to it, and it doesn't work any more. How can I change this so that it now opens...
  8. Change location of the action center icon on system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Change location of the action center icon on system tray: Hi, I have the taskbar vertically positioned, and the action center icon gets too much space, alone and not with other system tray icons. [img] I would like to put the action center icon along with the other system tray icons, and not alone. Someone can help ? Windows...
  9. Change location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change location: So I added a second monitor (tv :v) to my setup and I put it on the wall right above my main monitor, the problem is when I extend the screens in order to get a window in the screen above I have to move the cursor to the left side, is there a way to get windows to know that...
  10. Windows update changed the original Desktop location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update changed the original Desktop location: Hello there! I was working in my laptop and had to restart it. When it was rebooting, it seemed it needed some updates. However, by the time it finished updating (lasted about 3 hours), seemed like a recovery action(which wasn't), as all the files I had did disappear....