Windows 10: Windows Update Cleanup taking forever

Discus and support Windows Update Cleanup taking forever in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to remove temporary files from my computer in the hope that I can increase the speed of my computer. I chose several categories of files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobInOhio, Jan 26, 2019.

1. BobInOhio Win User

Windows Update Cleanup taking forever

I am trying to remove temporary files from my computer in the hope that I can increase the speed of my computer. I chose several categories of files to remove (Thumbnails, Temporary Files, etc.). I also chose "Windows Update Cleanup". This particular category is taking a very long time to delete. The progress bar has been stuck in the same place for about an hour now. It has not moved at all. Is it normal for this category to take so long to delete?

:)

BobInOhio, Jan 26, 2019
  2. Smizack Win User

Windows Update loading forever

So I ran both the commands and got this:

Windows Update Cleanup taking forever [​IMG]

The log file is also attached.

Smizack, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Windows 10 Update Taking Forever

To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger
    safe mode through the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process (For Laptop: Remove the battery before performing the steps)
      • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
      • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the
        Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click
      Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the
      F4
      key to start your computer in safe mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in
    safe mode
    . This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do
    this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Control
      Panel and press Enter.
    • On the upper-right window, under View
      by, click Category and select
      Large icons.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Jan 26, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

1. Windows Update Cleanup taking forever - Similar Threads - Update Cleanup taking

2. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows taking forever to Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking forever to Update: I did one of the Windows update and it told me to restart my computer. Usually it takes 5 minutes but today its been over an hour restarting. What should i do?...
  4. Windows Update takes forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update takes forever: The windows update end up took more than 3 hours to complete. Would it be possible to get an estimated time to update beforehand? And it would be nice if the windows can display the estimated remaining time needed instead of the percentage completed because it could be stuck...
  5. photo update taking forever

photo update taking forever: Been trying to open a photo. Keep getting a pop up that says: "Give us a minute were are updating photos. It should be ready to use shortly." That was hours ago. Help!!...
  6. All updates taking forever.

All updates taking forever.: I just got my brand-new gaming PC the other day, and it's great! It's the very first Windows 10 computer that I have ever had. I started downloading things I wanted on my computer, 1 at a time, but I noticed that it was downloading very, very slowly. I am most positive that...
  7. Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Updates Take Forever!: Running Windows 10 on Panasonic CF-C2 laptops. When it comes to updates, they are taking FOREVER to install - 20 to 30 minutes. Is anyone experiencing the updates taking this long....my users are screaming because time is money and updates are just taking too long. I am not...
  8. Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download: Is it just me, or are Windows 10 updates slowing down? Getting KB4051033 to download is like watching paint dry. I'm on a fibre network connection and Win 7 updates download like lightning, but Win 10 updates take forever. I've been sitting at 9% for the past half hour....
  9. Updates taking forever

Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472
  10. Update Takes Forever

Update Takes Forever: This is more of a curiosity question, but why does it take hours to update from one build to the next? I'm going from 10041 to 10049 and it's been running for about two-and-a-half hours now. It's currently at 20%. Seems like the update to 10041 took a long time as well,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update cleanup taking forever

2. windows 10 update cleanup taking forever