Windows 10: Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive

Discus and support Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; How long should it take for Windows Update Cleanup to run? Lately, my system has been crashing with some frequency, usually when I try to launch some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrentBauer, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive

How long should it take for Windows Update Cleanup to run? Lately, my system has been crashing with some frequency, usually when I try to launch some programs, such as Movie Maker, media players, etc. My hard storage memory bar is red and I don't have much memory left. I'm trying to free up space on my C: Hard Drive using the "Free up space now" feature in Windows 10 (Settings > System > Storage > Free up space now). It shows I can save over 7.5 GB by cleaning up old Windows Updates and removing files, deleting the Recycle Bin, etc. However, after clicking on the "Remove Files" button the blue progress bar made it to a bit more than a quarter of the way and now appears to be at a stand still. Am I just being impatient? Does it typically take some time to clean things up? In guidance or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home / x64
    Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134

:)

BrentBauer, Aug 10, 2019

2. Windows 10 Updates & Upgrades error: There wasn't enough space on my hard drive

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

Since you have a less amount of space in your hard disk, I suggest you to free up some disk space by running disk cleanup on your system.

Here are the steps:

• To delete temporary files:

• Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.

• Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.

• If you need to free up more space, you can also delete system files:

• In Disk cleanup, select Clean up system files.

• Select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.

• Select OK.
    Once you perform the above steps, install the Windows updates manually and check.

Follow these steps:

1. Hit
    Windows Key and type

2. Type
    Windows Updates

3. Click on
    Windows Updates

4. Click on
    Check for updates and install the latest windows updates.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 10, 2019
  3. little cat, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive

Windows 10 Creators Update for systems with less than 8 gigs of free hard drive space

Thank you for sharing those details. If the requirements to successfully install the Creators Update are not met, setup will normally recommend these 2 options:

• Free up disk space using
      Disk Cleanup
      - This utility is designed to free up disk space on a computer's hard drive. This has also been proven to resolve storage errors since it scans and analyzes the hard drive for files that are no longer in use.
    • Attach an external storage device- You can connect an external hard disk or USB drive with a minimum 10GB of free space and use it to install the Creators Update on your device.

Let us know if further help is needed.

Dhavelyn Mer, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive

1. Windows Update Cleanup - Trying To Free Up Space on Hard drive - Similar Threads - Update Cleanup Trying

2. Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive: To whom it may concern,On my computer, I have a hard drive which stores all the virtual machines created in Hyper V. While using Hyper V, I noticed that the Windows 8 virtual machine was using 94.8 GB on my computer even though the virtual local disk was only about 50% full....
  3. Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V - freeing up space in hard drive: To whom it may concern,On my computer, I have a hard drive which stores all the virtual machines created in Hyper V. While using Hyper V, I noticed that the Windows 8 virtual machine was using 94.8 GB on my computer even though the virtual local disk was only about 50% full....
  4. Trying to free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to free up space: When i try to cleanup using disk cleanup and delete some files in file explorer and use treesize to view which file is larger to delete some files and using command prompt to flush dns and restart my pc, my disk C drive fills up space. I have to find out why i try to clean my...
  5. Trying to free up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to free up space: When i try to cleanup using disk cleanup and delete some files in file explorer and use treesize to view which file is larger to delete some files and using command prompt to flush dns and restart my pc, my disk C drive fills up space. I have to find out why i try to clean my...
  6. Trying to free up space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  8. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  9. Freeing up space on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Freeing up space on hard drive.: Hi , I need too free up space on my hard drive. Seems other users account for 154 gb I have no other users. In manage my account it only gives me the option to add family friends. How do I delete the other users and free up space? Any help will be appreciated ta...
  10. "Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty: Attempted to use the "free up space" option in my storage and its stuck saying "Purging: Compress your OS drive" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-hard-drive-option-difficulty/d7a902d2-7089-4e17-a2fa-e8b970c1db9e"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after windows update cleanup my storage did not increase